IMPORTANT: Turn OFF water supply to Cavitron system or disconnect water quick-disconnect
from the water supply when not in use.
Start-Up procedUreS at the beginning of the
1. Open the manual shut-off valve on the dental office water
2. Install a sterilized Steri-Mate Handpiece onto the handpiece
3. Set the Power Level Control to minimum and the Lavage
Control to maximum.
4. Turn the system ON.
5. Hold the sterilized handpiece (without insert installed) over a
sink or drain. Activate the Purge Mode by pressing the Purge
• T he Purge screen will appear indicating proper activation
of the purge function. Time icon will count down indicating
completion of purge cycle.
• T he Purge function can be interrupted at any time during
the two minute cycle by pressing the Scale icon or by
pressing the Foot Pedal.
6. After completing the purge cycle, place a sterilized 30kHz
Cavitron Ultrasonic Insert into the handpiece and set the
Power Level Control and Lavage Control to your preferred
operating position for ultrasonic scaling.
1. Remove the used Cavitron Ultrasonic Insert. Clean and
sterilize following the Infection Control Procedures that were
enclosed with your insert.
2. Hold the handpiece over a sink or drain and activate Purge
function as described in Step 5 of the Start-Up procedure.
3. After the Purge cycle is complete, turn the System to the OFF
4. Remove the Steri-Mate handpiece, clean and sterilize
following the procedures outlined in the Cavitron Systems
Infection Control Procedures booklet that was enclosed with
5. Before disinfecting surface of cabinets, lock the touch
screen by pressing the Lock icon. Disinfect the surfaces
of the cabinet, Power Cord, Handpiece Cable, Tap-On Foot
Pedal and Cable assembly (if applicable), Water Supply
lines as instructed in the Cavitron Systems Infection Control
Procedures booklet. DO NOT SPRAY DISINFECTANT
SOLUTION DIRECTLY ON SYSTEM SURFACES*.
6. Inspect the handpiece cable for any breaks or tears.
P/N 82562-1 Rev. 1 (01/16)
7. If using a closed water supply or DualSelect Dispensing System,
check for adequate fluid volumes for the next patient.
8. When ready to use, press the unlock icon, place a sterilized
Steri-Mate Handpiece onto the handpiece cable assembly and
insert a sterilized ultrasonic insert into the handpiece and adjust
system controls as preferred.
ShUt-down procedUreS at the end of the day:
Follow the "Between Patients" maintenance procedures, Steps 1
through 6. In addition, it is recommended to close the manual shut-off
valve on the dental water supply system.
*NOTE: Broad spectrum hospital grade water-based disinfection
solutions are preferred, such as Lysol IC. Some alcohol-based
disinfectant solutions may be harmful and may discolor plastic
10.2 weekLy Maintenance
It is strongly recommended that this system be disinfected
by chemically flushing the waterlines with a 1:10 Sodium
Hypochlorite solution (NaOCl) at the end of each week. This can be
accomplished by connecting this device to the Cavitron DualSelect
Dispensing System or a number of other devices available
from your local distributors. Where this device is connected to
the Cavitron DualSelect Dispensing System, please follow the
DualSelect System's Directions for Use manual. If connected to
another device, please follow those directions for use, keeping in
mind that a chemical flush should be performed at maximum water
flow for at least 30 seconds. The system should be left undisturbed
for 10 minutes but no more than 30 minutes to allow the sodium
hypochlorite solution to soak in the lines. As a suggestion, it is
recommended that a sign be placed on the system stating that the
SYSTEM IS BEING DISINFECTED WITH A STRONG DISINFECTANT
AND SHOULD NOT BE USED. When ready, flush system with
clean water for at least 30 seconds or until sodium hypochlorite
odor disappears. ALL CHEMICALS MUST BE FLUSHED FROM THE
SYSTEM BEFORE IT IS READY FOR PATIENT USE.