BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PURCHASE,
CALL 1-800-54-HOW-TO (1-800-544-6986).
IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE
CAN RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE.
IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR COMMENT,
GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL
TO THE SUCCESS OF BLACK & DECKER'S QUALITY
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
•Charge batteries before first use.
•Charger may hum; batteries or charger may become warm
•Only operate vacuum with filter installed.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y PÓLIZA DE
GARANTÍA. ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL
Cat. No. VP321-0275 Form No. 391737-00
Important Safety Instructions (For Battery and Charger)
When using electric tools, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce
risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including the following:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
• Do not store or carry battery so that metal objects can contact exposed metal end shown in figure below. For
example, do not place battery in aprons, pockets, tool boxes, drawers etc. with loose nails, screws, keys, etc.
without battery cap securely in place on battery. Battery could short circuit causing fire or burns or damage
• Battery caps are provided for use when carrying batteries or while battery is stored in a pocket, tool box, etc.
Remove cap before placing battery in charger or tool (see figure below).
• Never attempt to open the battery for any reason. If the housing of the battery breaks or cracks, immediately
discontinue use and do not recharge.
• Do not incinerate the batteries. They can explode in a fire. A small leakage of liquid from the battery cells
may occur under extreme usage, charging or temperature conditions. This does not indicate a failure.
However, if the outer seal is broken and this leakage gets on your skin:
a. Wash quickly with soap and water.
b. Neutralize with a mild acid such as lemon juice or vinegar.
c. If the battery liquid gets in your eyes, flush them with clean water for a minimum of 10 minutes and seek
immediate medical attention.
MEDICAL NOTE: The liquid is a 25-35% solution of potassium hydroxide.
• Charge batteries only with VersaPak battery charger or charging base.
• Do not use charger in wet or damp conditions. It is intended for indoor use only. Do not use near sinks, tubs,
or the like. Do not immerse in water.
• Do not use charger for any uses other than charging VersaPak batteries. Other batteries may explode. Do not
charge any other hand vac in charging base.
• Do not operate charger with damaged cord or plug — have them replaced immediately.
• Do not operate charger if it has received a sharp blow, been dropped, or otherwise damaged in any way;
take it to a qualified Black & Decker service center.
• Do not disassemble charger; take it to a qualified Black & Decker service center when service or repair is
required. Incorrect reassembly may result in risk of electric shock or fire. There are no consumer serviceable
• For best results, do not charge batteries when they or air temperature is BELOW +40°F or ABOVE +105°F.
• The charger is designed to operate on standard household electrical power. Do not attempt to use it on any
other voltage. Be sure your power supply agrees with the nameplate marking.
• Unplug charger when not in use.
• Do not abuse charger cord. To reduce the risk of damage to electric plug and cord, never carry charger by
cord or yank it to disconnect from receptacle. Keep charger cord from heat, oil, and sharp edges.
• Use only charger supplied by the manufacturer to recharge.
Safety Instructions for Vacuums
1. Keep exhaust away from face and eyes during use.
2. Never use without filter.
3. Do not allow to be used as a toy. Close attention is necessary when used by or near children.
4. Use only as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer's recommended attachments.
5. Do not put any object into openings. Do not use with any opening blocked; keep free of dust, lint, hair, and
anything that may reduce air flow.
6. Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers, and all body parts away from openings and moving parts.
7. Do not pick up anything that is burning or smoking, such as cigarettes, matches, or hot ashes.
8. Do not use to pick up flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline or use in areas where they may be
Copyright © 1999Black & Decker
Important Charging Notes
1. Versapak batteries are not fully charged at the factory. You must charge batteries for 6 hours before
2. While charging, the charger transformer may hum and batteries and charger become warm. This is a
normal condition and does not indicate a problem.
3. If a battery does not charge properly— (1) Check current at receptacle by plugging in a lamp or other
appliance. (2) Check to see if receptacle is connected to a light switch which turns power off when you
turn out the lights. (3) Move charger and batteries to a surrounding air temperature of +40°F to
+105°F. (4) If the receptacle and temperature are ok, and you do not get proper charging, take or send
the batteries and charger to your local Black & Decker service center. See "Tools Electric" in yellow
4. When you experience sufficient power lose in the middle of a job, stop and recharge batteries. (Allow
6 hours to charge) DO NOT CONTINUE to use the vacuum with its batteries in a depleted condition.
Removing and Installing the Batteries
NOTE: Versapak™ batteries are not fully charged at the factory.
To install the batteries into the vacuum, simply slide them into the ports in the rear of the vacuum until they
click into place.
To remove the VersaPak™ batteries from the vacuum, slide the release button, as shown in Figure 1, and pull
the batteries out of the vacuum handle.
bouton de dégagement
boton de liberacion
Note: Battery caps are provided for use when carrying batteries or while battery is stored in a pocket, tool
box, etc. Remove cap before placing battery in charger or tool.
To start, slide the on/off switch forward (O is off, I is on). To stop, slide the switch back (see Figure 2).
To extend the effective usage time of your Dustbuster, you can purchase extra VersaPak batteries.
If your unit has a white cap fitted over the left port then use a small flat bladed screwdriver to remove it.
An extra VersaPak battery can then be inserted which doubles the usage time.
Printed in U.S.A.
NOTE: The filter bag is reusable. Do not throw it away when the vacuum is emptied. If the filter becomes worn
or damaged, replacement filters are available at extra cost from your local dealer or authorized service
To clean the filter bag, first remove the dust bowl by pressing the release button (see Figure 4) and then take
out the filter bag using the plastic frame. Shake or brush loose the dust on the filter bag. Wash the bag
regularly using warm soapy water. Make sure the bag is completely dry before placing it in the vacuum.
Maximum dust collection will only be obtained with a clean filter bag and an empty dust bowl. If dust falls out
of the vacuum, the bowl is full and requires cleaning.
Use only mild soap and damp cloth to clean the vac. Never let any liquid get inside the vac; never immerse
any part of the vac into a liquid.
NOTE: Make sure the vacuum is completely dry before using it.
IMPORTANT: To assure product SAFETY and RELIABILITY, repairs, maintenance and adjustment (other than
those listed in this manual) should be performed by authorized service centers or other qualified service
organizations, always using identical replacement parts.
THE RBRC™ SEAL
The RBRC™ (Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation)
Seal on the nickel-cadmium battery (or battery pack) indicates that the costs to recycle the
battery (or battery pack) at the end of its useful life have already been paid by Black & Decker.
In some areas, it is illegal to place spent nickel-cadmium batteries in the trash or municipal solid
waste stream and the RBRC program provides an environmentally conscious alternative.
RBRC in cooperation with Black & Decker and other battery users, has established programs in the United
States and Canada to facilitate the collection of spent nickel-cadmium batteries. Help protect our environment
and conserve natural resources by returning the spent nickel-cadmium battery to an authorized
Black & Decker service center or to your local retailer for recycling. You may also contact your local recycling
center for information on where to drop off the spent battery, or call 1-800-8-BATTERY.
Black & Decker offers a full network of company-owned and authorized service locations throughout North
America. All Black & Decker Service Centers are staffed with trained personnel to provide customers with
efficient and reliable power tool service.
Whether you need technical advice, repair, or genuine factory replacement parts, contact the Black & Decker
location nearest you. To find your local service location, refer to the yellow page directory under "Tools—
Electric" or call: 1-800-54-HOW TO.
FULL TWO-YEAR HOME USE WARRANTY
Black & Decker (U.S.) Inc. warrants this product for two years against any defects in material or
workmanship. The defective product will be replaced or repaired at no charge in either of two ways.
The first, which will result in exchanges only, is to return the product to the retailer from whom it was
purchased (provided that the store is a participating retailer). Returns should be made within the time period
of the retailer's policy for exchanges (usually 30 to 90 days after the sale). Proof of purchase may be
required. Please check with the retailer for their specific return policy regarding returns that are beyond the
time set for exchanges.
The second option is to take or send the product (prepaid) to a Black & Decker owned or authorized Service
Center for repair or replacement at our option. Proof of purchase may be required. Black & Decker owned
and authorized Service Centers are listed under "Tools-Electric" in the yellow pages of the phone directory.
This warranty does not apply to accessories. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may have
other rights which vary from state to state. Should you have any questions, contact the manager of your
nearest Black & Decker Service Center.
This product is not intended for commercial use.
Black & Decker (U.S.) Inc.,
Towson, MD 21286 U.S.A.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
ensemble de piles
( Figure 3)
Never use the vacuum without its filter.
701 E. Joppa Rd.
bouton de dégagement
boton de liberacion
bac à poussiÈre
deposito de polvo
– Yellow Pages –
for Service & Sales