Contractor’s electric 4 gallon hand carry air compressor (72 pages)
Summary of Contents for DeWalt D55170
If you have questions or comments, contact us. 1-800-4-D WALT • www.dewalt.com INSTRUCTION MANUAL D55170, D55180, D55390, D55395, D55570, D55575, D55580, D55585 Contractor’s Electric Wheeled Portable Air Compressor...
E. Regulated Pressure Gauge F. Pressure Regulator G. Air Outlet H. Pilot Valve I. Safety Valve J. Air Tank Drain Valves K. Pump Oil Dipstick/Oil Fill Plug L. Dual Voltage Control M. Pressure Switch D55570, D55580 FIG. 1 D55170, D55180...
Pump Speciﬁ cations D55395 K PUMP Inline, vertical twin cylinder Single Stage Oil Lubricated Cast Iron crankcase cylinder, and head Bore: 2.5" (63.5 mm) Stroke: 2" (50.8 mm) Weight: 47 lbs. ( 21.3 kg.) Oil Capacity: 14 oz. (414 mL) G PUMP V - twin 4 cylinder Single Stage...
HEIGHT WIDTH LENGTH CAPACITY PUMP MOTOR RESET/ CUT-OUT (GALLONS) (689.5 CUT-IN PRESSURE kPa) PRESSURE D55170 168 lbs. 33.0 in. 22.5 in. 45.0 in. 105 PSI 125 PSI 8 (30.3 liters) 1.5 HP (76.2 kg.) (838.2 mm) (571.5 mm) (1143.0 mm) (723.9 kPa)
Hot Surfaces MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS FIG. 2 1.5 HP 115V, 15 A, 60Hz COMPRESSOR ELECTRIC CYLINDER & 230V, 8 A, 60 Hz MOTOR HEAD Four pole, induction type,1725 RPM Minimum branch circuit requirement: 15 A @ 115V and 230V OUTLET TUBE Fuse Type: Time delay 2 HP 115V, 20 A, 60 Hz...
• lead from lead-based paints Deﬁ nitions: Safety Guidelines • crystalline silica from bricks and cement and other masonry products The definitions below describe the level of severity • arsenic and chromium from chemically-treated lumber for each signal word. Please read the manual and Your risk from these exposures varies, depending on how often pay attention to these symbols.
• If electrical sparks from • If spraying flammable mate- compressor come into con- rials, locate compressor tact with flammable vapors, at least 20' (6.1 m) away they may ignite, causing fire from spray area. An addi- DANGER: RISK TO BREATHING (ASPHYXIATION) or explosion.
WHAT CAN HAPPEN HOW TO PREVENT IT • Failure to properly drain • Drain air tank daily or after condensed water from each use. If air tank develops DANGER: RISK OF INJURY OR PROP ER TY DAMAGE WHEN air tank, causing rust and a leak, replace it immediately TRANSPORTING OR STORING thinning of the steel air tank.
• Repairs attempted by • Any electrical wiring or Tires: unqualified personnel can repairs required on this • Over inflation of tires could • Use a tire pressure gauge to result in serious injury or product should be performed result in serious injury and check the tires pressure before death by electrocution.
• Always turn the compressor off and bleed pressure from the air hose and air tank before attempting maintenance, WARNING: RISK FROM MOVING PARTS attaching tools or accessories. WHAT CAN HAPPEN HOW TO PREVENT IT • Moving parts such as the •...
• Equip area of operation with a fire extinguisher. • Do not op er ate machine with WARNING: RISK OF UNSAFE OPERATION missing, broken or un au tho- rized parts. WHAT CAN HAPPEN HOW TO PREVENT IT • Never stand on the compressor. •...
Pilot Valve with Manual Lock (D55170, D55180): run mode. The pressure switch is used to control the compressor The manual lock allows you to manually unload the when operating in the stop/start mode.
SAFETY VALVE 3. When desired pressure is shown on the regulated pressure gauge push knob in to lock. This valve (I) is designed to prevent system failures by relieving pressure from the system when the INSTALLATION compressed air reaches a predeter mined level. The Assembly (Fig.
D55170, D55180 230 Volt Conversion WARNING: Risk of electrical shock. Ensure motor is discon- D55570, D55575, D55580, D55585 nected from the power source before rewiring motor leads. To operate the compressor at 230 volts replace the The motor supplied with this compressor is a dual voltage, 115 / 230 115 volt plug supplied on the motor cord with a volts motor.
115V If an extension cord must be used, be sure it is: 1. The cord set and plug (N) with this unit contains a grounding pin (O). This plug • a 3-wire extension cord that has a 3-blade grounding plug, and MUST be used with a grounded outlet a 3-slot receptacle that will accept the plug on the product (P).
ELECTRICAL Compatibility Refer to all safety instructions before using unit. Observe extension Air tools and accessories that are run off the compressor must be cord safety instructions if necessary. Always move the On/Off switch compatible with petroleum based products. If you suspect that a to the OFF position before removing the plug from the outlet.
Surfaces identified in Fig. 2). Allow compressor to cool prior to 1. Follow Pre-Start Checklist under Preparation for Use. servicing. 2. (D55170, D55180) Rotate the manual lock pilot valve lever to the WARNING: Risk of moving parts. Keep your hair, clothing, and open position to assist with start up.
2. Turn regulator knob (F) counterclockwise until fully closed. Ensure WARNING: Risk of property damage. Over tightening the Pilot Valve knob can cause damage to the pilot valve. regulated pressure gauge reads 0 PSI (0 kPa). 7. Allow compressor to reach cut-out pressure. If compressor does 3.
Maintenance Chart Checking Safety Valve (Fig. 1) WARNING: Hot surfaces. Risk of burn. Aftercooler, pump head, and Procedure Daily Weekly Monthly 1 year or surrounding parts are very hot, do not touch (see the Hot Surfaces 200 Hours identified in Fig. 2). Allow compressor to cool prior to servicing. Check safety valve WARNING: Risk of bursting.
Draining Air Tank (Fig. 1) Compressor Pump Oil (Fig. 1) WARNING: Risk of unsafe operation. Risk from noise. Air tanks CHECKING OIL contain high pressure air. Keep face and other body parts away from WARNING: Hot surfaces. Risk of burn. Aftercooler, pump head and outlet of drain.
4. Replace dipstick/oil fill plug and tighten securely. 1. Ensure On/Off switch is in the OFF position. CHANGING OIL 2. Allow the unit to cool. NOTE: Pump oil contains substances that are regulated and must 3. Remove air compressor plug from outlet. be disposed of in accordance with local, state and federal laws and 4.
7. Measure the distance between the edge of the belt (N) 4. Remove the belt. and the straightedge at points A1 and A2 in Figure. The 5. Scribe a mark approximately 1/8" (3.2 mm) from the original difference between mea sure ments should be no more than mark.
LATIN AMERICA: This warranty does not apply to products sold SERVICE INFORMATION in Latin America. For products sold in Latin America, see country Please have the following information available for all service calls: specific warranty information contained either in the packaging, call Model Number ____________ Serial Number ___________ the local company or see website for warranty information.
GLOSSARY CFM: Cubic feet per minute. SCFM: Standard cubic feet per minute; a unit of measure of air delivery. PSI: Pounds per square inch; a unit of measure of pressure. kPa (kilopascal): Metric pressure measurement. 1 kilopascal equal 1000 pascals. Code Certification: Products that bear one or more of the following marks: UL, CUL, ETL, CETL, have been evaluated by OSHA certified independent safety laboratories and meet the applicable Underwriters Laboratories Standards for Safety.
Troubleshooting Guide This section provides a list of the more frequently encountered malfunctions, their causes and corrective actions. The operator or maintenance personnel can perform some corrective actions, and others may require the assistance of a qualified D WALT technician or your dealer. Problem Code Excessive air tank pressure-safety valve pops off ..............1...
Troubleshooting Codes CODE POSSIBLE CAUSE POSSIBLE SOLUTION Pilot valve does not release pressure when air tank reaches Pilot valve must be replaced. Contact a D WALT factory ser- blow-off pressure vice center or a D WALT authorized service center. Fittings are not tight Tighten fittings where air can be heard escaping.
CODE POSSIBLE CAUSE POSSIBLE SOLUTION Loose belt Check belt tension, see Adjusting Belt Tension under Maintenance. Pump or motor mount ing nuts are loose Torque pump mounting nuts to 6– 8 ft.-lbs. (8.1–10.8 Nm). Torque motor mounting bolts 100– 120 in.-lbs. (11.3–...
Water in pump oil Drain oil and refill pump with D WALT synthetic compressor oil. D55170, D55180 Rotate manual lock unloader lever to the closed perpendicular Manual lock unloader lever in open position position. D55390, D55395, D55570, D55575, D55580, D55585 Turn pilot valve knob clockwise until it stops.
CODE POSSIBLE CAUSE POSSIBLE SOLUTION Regulator open Rotate the regulator knob counterclockwise to its built-in stop and push knob in to lock in place. Possible defective motor or starting capacitor Contact a D WALT factory service center or a D WALT authorized service center.