5. Functions <Pool (1)>
"Pool" is a virtual storage area configured from physical disks using RAID technology. Logical disks
(LUN) can be setup by allocating pool capacity to each logical disk .
(1-2) Pool Type
Pools include Basic Pools and Dynamic Pools.
• Basic Pool
- Basic pools consist of a fixed number of physical disks.
- It is not possible to expand pool size and logical disk capacity.
• Dynamic Pools
Since multiple storage areas in the pool are being managed, the data will be retained when physical
disks are added and storage areas are expanded.
- Pool capacity can be expanded with the existing data retained.
- Logical disk capacity can be expanded with the existing data retained.
- A logical disk allocated from the pool can be immediately used by a production server.
The M-Series products support only dynamic pools, which increases functionality and performance
dynamically as well as delivers simplified operation in system management.
Since NL-SAS disk drives have a larger capacity with lower rotation speed than traditional SAS, it
requires more rebuilding time when disk failure occurs, which may lead to another failure. RAID
types such as RAID-6 or RAID-TM, which have multiple layers of redundancy, are strongly
recommended because they provide more reliability.