Revision 4.2 Nov.2.2009 Information of disclosure and limitation of usage NEC Corporation has all the rights about this material. You can not use this material for any purposes other than provided purpose. In addition, you can not duplicate, modify and disclose this material to any third party without permission of NEC Corporation.
(Total capacity of RV and snapshot w/ RDR/DR: In case of 16GB cache 2009.5.18 with Physical HDD capacity 270TB or less) P.28-29 Added 2 to 3 nodes configuration explanation D8-30 8Gb FC New basic configuration （HD/DD are sold separately） 2009.11.2 New HDD (SAS 600GB/SATA 2TB) Beyond 2TB Snapshot ・...
1. SPECIFICATION 2. PRODUCT SELECTION 3. SOFTWARE SPECS Note: D8-30 has only 1 node model. For ease of understanding, we say D8-3010 for 1 node, D8-3020 for 2 nodes, D8-3030 for 3 nodes, and D8-3040 for 4 nodes in this document.
1. Specification The following are the specifications of the D8 Disk Array Unit: Item D8-30 Disk Array Unit From 1 node to 4 nodes Max. 32 units of disk enclosure can be connected per node. Chassis configuration Max. 12 units of disk drive can be mounted in the disk enclosure.
2. Product Selection Features The most outstanding feature of the D8 Series is the expandable scalability. It enables small start and online expansion of the scalability. Not only the scalability within the unit (referred to as node) such as controller, cache and HDD, the D8 can expand its scalability by adding nodes. By this scalability, the D8 Series can cover a broad range from low-end area to high-end area.
Fibre Channel x8 CHE： Cache Cache 4GBx2 :2GB :2GB Flash Flash DE#00 Switch SAS/SATA HDD Switch 12Gbps SAS Interface S A S /S A T A D i sk Encl osure (U p to 12 H D D s) U p to 16 D i sk Encl osures can be connected to the D i sk D i rectors. 16 m ore D i sk Encl osures can be connected to the opti onal D i sk D i rectors.
The steps to select the product of D8 Disk Array Unit are as follows: Steps to select the product (New Installation) Select the HD Select Select Select the Select Seletc the the # of # of node # and cache BaseProd capacit of memory...
(1) Models of Disk Array Unit Though D8 Series can have flexible configurations, the initial models are D8-3010 with 1 node and expanding up to 4 nodes by adding D8-3010, according to the number of basic node. *1 D8-3010 includes Local Switch(LSW) (A/B/C), 8GB cache memory, Please note that Host Director(HD), Disk Director(HD) and Disk Enclosure(DE) are NOT included.
(2) Selection of BaseProduct The D8 Disk Array Unit requires the program product“BaseProduct” per Disk Array Unit separately in addition to H/W products. It includes storage control software and NEC Storage Manager, comprehensively monitoring and managing the Disk Array Unit of D Series.
(3) Selection of Quantity/Capacity of Disk Drive The logical disk capacity you can configure varies depending on the type (I/F, capacity) of disk drive and the level of RAID. Besides, necessary logical disk capacity varies depending on the functions you use (e.g. Snapshot/Replication function).
Select necessary number of SATA disk drive. Average Physical capacity (GB) Product code Product name Product outline seek time (R/W) SATA Disk Drive NF5021-SM805E 750GB 7,200rpm 8.5ms/9.5ms 738.3 687.6 (7200rpm/750GB) SATA Disk Drive NF5021-SM806E 1000GB 7,200rpm 8.5ms/9.5ms 984.4 916.8 (7200rpm/1000GB) SATA Disk Drive NF5023-SM808E 2000GB...
(3-3) Supported RAID The RAID levels D8-3010 supports are as follows: However, SATA disk drive supports only RAID-5,50, 6 and TM Besides, RAID can configure only in the same Disk Director (basic Disk Director: 16DE, 192HDD, Expansion Disk Director: 16DE, 192HDD) of a node. Pool RAID type Number of physical disk...
The operation of hot spare disk can be set from the NEC Storage Manager. - Hot spare disk can be used for the disk drives with the same interface.
(3-5) Mixed Use of Disk Drive - This disk array unit can have SAS/SATA disk drives together, and disk drives with different capacity/rotation speed together, in the basic chassis and in the same SAS/SATA disk enclosure. - It is strongly recommended to use the same type of disks in a pool. (4) Selection of Quantity of SAS/SATA Disk Enclosure - 1 unit of disk enclosure can mount max.
DE Connection Standard Disk Director Optional Disk Director Ｄ Ｄ Ｄ Ｄ Ｄ Ｄ Ｄ Ｄ DE#0C DE#1C DE#00 DE#08 DE#04 DE#10 DE#18 DE#14 DE#0D DE#1D DE#01 DE#09 DE#05 DE#11 DE#19 DE#15 DE#0E DE#1E DE#02 DE#0A DE#06 DE#12 DE#1A DE#16 DE#0F DE#1F DE#03...
Allocation within the Rack (Location) 1 node (1DAC+32DE） 1 node (1DAC+32DE） 1 node (1DAC+32DE） 1 node (1DAC+32DE） 36U R ack R ecom m ended Locati on 36U R ack R ecom m ended Locati on 36U R ack R ecom m ended Locati on 36U R ack R ecom m ended Locati on 44U R ack R ecom m ended Locati on 44U R ack R ecom m ended Locati on...
4 nodes (1DAC+32DEx4set) 4 nodes (1DAC+32DEx4set) 4 nodes (1DAC+32DEx4set) 4 nodes (1DAC+32DEx4set) 44U R ack R ecom m ended Loacati on 44U R ack R ecom m ended Loacati on 44U R ack R ecom m ended Loacati on 44U R ack R ecom m ended Loacati on N O D E #0 N O D E #0 N O D E #1...
(5) Selection of Cache Memory Minimum capacity of cache memory per node is 8GB and the performance of disk array unit improves by adding the cache memory. You can expand the cache memory from 8GB to 16GB and 32GB. 8GB cache memory consists of 2 cache memory modules, and 8GB or more cache memory consists of 4 cache memory modules.
(Cache memory expansion scheme) Note : Extended node chassis (NF5183-SB03E) does not include Cache memory. ①Standard(8 G B ) You need to order NF-5183-SC21E as a standard cache module. 2GB 2GB 2GB 2GB 2GB 2GB 2GB 2GB Cache Module Cache Module Standard Standard (CHE)(8GB)
(Notes on using Data Replication Function) In case you use data replication function (without snapshot) with D8 Series, select the minimum size of cache memory from the following table according to the total HDD capacity and the total replication volume (RV): Total Other than RAID-6 configuration: up to maximum capacity, in RAID-6 configuration: Physical capacity...
(Notes on using Snapshot Function) In case you use Snapshot function (without replication) with the D8 Series, select the minimum size of cache memory from the following table according to the total HDD capacity and the total volume related to usable Snapshot function: Total HDD Physical Other than RAID-6 configuration: up to Max.
(Notes on using Data Replication Function and Snapshot Function at the same time) In case you use both data replication and Snapshot with the D8 Series, the minimum size of cache memory from the following table according to the total HDD capacity, the total capacity of the replication volume (RV) and the total volume related to Snapshot function.
Total HDD Physical capacity: up to 270,001GB – 530,000GB (RAID-6) U sabl e capaci ty(TB ) C ache Functi on ～4G B T otal capaci ty of R V (w /o R D R /D R ) T otal capaci ty of S napshot r el ated vol um e 112 T otal capaci ty of R V (w / R D R /D R ) T otal capaci ty of S napshot r el ated vol um es ～8G B T otal capaci ty of R V (w /o R D R /D R )
Total HDD Physical capacity: up to 530,001GB – 790,000GB (RAID-6) U sabl e capaci ty(TB ) C ache Functi on ～4G B T otal capaci ty of R V (w /o R D R /D R ) T otal capaci ty of S napshot r el ated vol um e T otal capaci ty of R V (w / R D R /D R ) T otal capaci ty of S napshot r el ated vol um es ～8G B T otal capaci ty of R V (w /o R D R /D R )
◆ Total HDD Physical capacity: up to 790,001GB –(RAID-6) U sabl e capaci ty(TB ) C ache Functi on ～4G B T otal capaci ty of R V (w /o R D R /D R ) T otal capaci ty of S napshot r el ated vol um e T otal capaci ty of R V (w / R D R /D R ) T otal capaci ty of S napshot r el ated vol um es ～8G B T otal capaci ty of R V (w /o R D R /D R )
(6) Selection of Host Director D8-3010 does NOT include Host Director(HD). You must select at least 1 set of HD(NF5183-SF01E or NF5183-SF02E) . 1 HD set has 2 HDs and 8 ports (4 ports/1HD). HD can be installed up to 2 sets (max. 4 HDs and 16 ports) in 1 node.
(8) Addition of Node 1. Upgrade by adding nodes By adding a new D8-3010 configuration with using extended node chasis to the existing D8-3010, it can be upgraded to 2 nodes configuration In this case, one set of cable between nodes (7m) [NF9120-SJ65] , Cache memory, Host Director, and Disk Director are required.
Example 1: Expand 1 node configuration to 2 nodes D8-3010 (1 node configuration) NF5183-SB401E x1 Upgrade to 2 nodes configuration equivalent to D8-3020 Addition: NF5183-SB03E x1 + NF9120-SJ65 x1 + HD/DD/DE/Cache NF9120-SJ65 NF5183-SB03E +HD/DD/DE/Cache (D8-3010 configuration x1) 2 nodes configuration Example 2: Expand 2 nodes configuration to 3 nodes 2 nodes configuration Upgrade to 3 nodes configuration...
Example 3: Expand 2 node configuration to 4 nodes 2 nodes configuration Upgrade to 4 nodes configuration Addition:NF5183-SB03E×2＋NF9120-SJ65×5＋HD/DD/DE/Cache NF9120-SJ65 NF9120-SJ65 NF5183-SB03E +HD/DD/DE/Cache (D8-3010 configuration x2) 4 nodes configuration (Summary of minimum required products of nodes addition) Please order following products and quantities when adding nodes Quantity Product Number Product name...
2. Addition of Host Post by adding Node You can expand host port by adding node (node without Disk Director) to the unit. Extended node chassis [NF5183-SB03E], cable between nodes (7m) [NF9120-SJ65] and Host Director (HD) [NF5183－ SF02E (8Gb) or NF5183－SF01E(4Gb)] are required. Inter-node Cable (7m) Host Director (HD) [NF5183-SF02E or NF5183-SF01E] CHE:4GBx...
3. Addition of Disk Drive by adding Node You can add disk drives by adding node (node without host port) to the unit. Extended node chassis [NF5183-SB03E], cable between nodes (7m) [NF9120-SJ65], standard cache module (CHE) [NF5183-SC21E] and Disk Director (DD) [NF5183-SD01E] are required. Inter-node Cable (7m) Extended Node Chassis [NF5183-SB03E] Cache Module (CHE) [NF5183-SC21E]...
（9）Selection of extended LSW port D8-30 8GFC(NF5183-SB401E/NF5183-SB03E) includes LSW A/B/C. You do not need to add LSW. Simply add nodes(also add HD/DD/DE/Cache) and inter-node cable. CHE： CHE： CHE： CHE： 4GBx2 4GBx2 4GBx2 4GBx2 Flash Flash Flash Flash Basic node D8-3010...
(10) Selection of D3-10/D8-10/D8-20→D8-30 upgrade kit D8-10/20 are upgradable to D8-30(4GFC) with upgrade kit, but not upgradable to D8-30(8GFC). D3-10 is upgradable to D8-30(8GFC) Please refer following chat for upgrading to D8-30 ■ Upgrade matrix APAC NECAM/NECC Bull D3-10->D8-30 4G*1 D3-10->D8-30 8G *1...
Extended cache module(CHE) NF5182-SC04E (4GB→32GB) Upgrade kit(Extended Node NF5182-SB02E Extended Node Chassis NF5183-SGL01E Chassis) (D8-10/20→D8-30) ■Upgrade kit (D3-10/D8-10/D8-20→D8-30（4G）) Detail Product code Product name Appended goods Product Outline Structure:Host Port FC /Rack mount type/ HDD less/ AC100/200V SAS cable (1m):2 SAS/SATA Disk 12HDD...
PU for HD x2 Attached parts list：1 PU for DD x2 NF5183-SGA02 Upgrade kit(basic model) Users guide/FW program/ setup Cache module x2 (D8-20→D8-30) guide（CD）:1 Local switch (LSW-A/B)x2 NF5183-SGF01 Upgrade kit(Extended HD) Attached parts list：1 PU for HD x2 (D8-10/2x→D8-30) NF5183-SGC01 Upgrade kit(Extended CHE) Attached parts list：1...
- Supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-T (Auto negotiating half/full/auto). - SNMP protocol compliant. - Can be used for NEC Storage Manager connection. To use the LAN interface for the NEC Storage Manager connection, one or two IP addresses and LAN cables are required. (12) Connection Cable...
3. Software specs Item Value Comments Max LUNs with Access Control Max LUN per node 1024 4096 for 4 nodes (1024 x 4 nodes) Max LUN per pool 1024 Max Dynamic Pools per node 192 pools per node（384PD/RAID-1） 768 pools for 4nodes (192 x 4nodes) Max LUN size 256TB Max LUN size for snapshots...