2. Avoid operating your lawnmower in wet grass,
1. The British Standards Institute recommend the use
of a Residual Current Circuit Device (R.C.D.) with a
3. Take care in wet grass, you may lose your footing.
4. On slopes, be extra careful of your footing and wear
tripping current of not more than 30mA. Even with
a R.C.D. installed 100% safety cannot be guaran-
teed and safe working practice must be followed at
5. Mow across the face of slopes, never up and down.
all times. Check your R.C.D. every time you use it.
6. Exercise extreme caution when changing direction
2. Before use, examine cable for damage, replace it if
on slopes. Walk never run.
there are signs of damage or ageing.
7. Mowing on banks and slopes can be dangerous.
Do not mow on banks or steep slopes.
3. Do not use the lawnmower if the electric cables are
damaged or worn
8. Do not walk backwards when mowing, you could trip.
4. Immediately disconnect from the mains electricity
9. Never cut grass by pulling the mower towards you.
supply if the cable is cut, or the insulation is dam-
10. Switch off before pushing the mower over surfaces
aged. Do not touch the electric cable until the elec-
other than grass.
11. Never operate the lawnmower with damaged guards
trical supply has been disconnected. Do not repair
a cut or damaged cable. Replace it with a new one.
or without guards in place.
12. Keep hands and feet away from the cutting means at all
5. Your extension cable must be uncoiled, coiled cables can
overheat and reduce the efficiency of your mower.
times and especially when switching on the motor.
6. Keep cable away from lawnmower, always work
13. Do not tilt lawnmower when the motor is running,
away from the power point mowing up and down,
except when starting and stopping. In this case, do
never in circles.
not tilt more than absolutely necessary and lift only
7. Do not pull cable around sharp objects.
the part which is away from the operator. Always
8. Always switch off at the mains before disconnecting
ensure that both hands are in the operating position
any plug, cable connector or extension cable.
before returning the appliance to the ground.
9. Switch off, remove plug from mains and examine
14. Do not put hands near the grass discharge chute.
electric supply cable for damage or ageing before
15. Never pick up or carry a mower when it is operating
winding cable for storage. Do not repair a damaged
or still connected to the mains supply.
16. Remove the plug from the mains :
cable, replace it with a new one. Use only Flymo
before leaving the mower unattended for any period;
before clearing a blockage;
10. Always wind cable carefully, avoiding kinking.
11. Never carry the product by the cable.
before checking, cleaning or working on the appliance;
12. Never pull on the cable to disconnect any of the plugs.
if you hit an object. Do not use your lawnmower
13. Use only on AC mains supply voltage shown on the
until you are sure that the entire lawnmower is in a
product rating label.
safe operating condition.;
14. Flymo Products are double insulated to EN60335.
if the lawnmower starts to vibrate abnormally. Check
Under no circumstance should an earth be connect-
immediately. Excessive vibration can cause injury.
Maintenance and storage
ed to any part of the product.
1. Keep all nuts, bolts and screws tight to be sure the
1. While using your product always wear substantial
lawnmower is in safe working condition.
footwear and long trousers.
2. Check the grassbox frequently for wear or deterioration.
2. Make sure the lawn is clear of sticks, stones, bones, wire
3. Replace worn or damaged parts for safety.
and debris; they could be thrown by the blade.
4. Only use the replacement blade, and blade bolt
3. Before using the machine and after any impact, check for
specified for this product.
signs of wear or damage and repair as necessary.
5. Be careful during adjustment of the lawnmower to
prevent entrapment of the fingers between moving
4. Replace worn or damaged blades together with
their fixings in sets to preserve balance.
blades and fixed parts of the machine.
1. Use the lawnmower only in daylight or good artificial
CABLES - IMPORTANT
1. No earth required. Flymo products are double insulated to
• Use only 1.00mm
size cable up to 40 metres length
EN60335 and under no circumstances should an earth be
connected to any part of the product.
Maximum rating :
2. Ensure the mains voltage suits your product
size cable, 10 amps 250 volts AC.
YOUR PRODUCT IS SUPPLIED WITH CABLE
The wires in the mains lead are coloured in accor-
WIRED DIRECTLY INTO THE PRODUCT.
dance with the following code:
1. Flymo Mains Cables and Extension Cables are avail-
able from your local Approved Service Centre.
The wire which is coloured BLUE must be connected
2. Do not wire an extension cable directly to your prod-
uct yourself. Please contact your local Approved
to the Terminal which is marked with the letter 'N' or
Service Centre for further information on the connec-
tors and kits available.
The wire which is coloured BROWN must be con-
nected to the Terminal which is marked with the let-
3. Only use extension cables specifically designed for
ter 'L' or coloured RED.
CONNECTORS - IMPORTANT
4. It is important that the outer sheath is clamped cor-
• Flymo connectors are suitable for use with 2 core
rectly into the 3-pin plug.
5. If in doubt consult your local Service Repairer or
cable only. Under no circumstances should these
connectors be used for earthed products.
qualified electrician before the machine is used.
6. A 13 Amp fuse must be fitted to the Mains Plug.
• All Flymo connectors and cables are of splashproof
7. The normal plug fuse and household fuse only pro-
construction. They are not waterproof and must not
be left outside permanently nor should they be sub-
tect the electrical equipment and are not a safeguard
merged or immersed in water. Do not let cable lay
or trail through pools of water or splashed with water
If your product is hard wired i.e. non-detachable
from hose pipes.
mains electric cable, a conversion kit and exten-
MAINS PLUG REPLACEMENT - IMPORTANT
sion cable is available from all Approved Service
• If the plug supplied is cut off it should be destroyed.
Centres which can be found in your local Yellow
There is an electric shock hazard if a cut off plug is
inserted into a 13 amp socket.