Register your product at www.prodprotect.com/applica
12-CUP PROGRAMMABLE COFFEEMAKER
† 3. Removable filter basket (Part #
4. Digital display
5. Control panel
6. Sneak-A-Cup® interrupt feature
† 7. Duralife™ glass carafe
8. Nonstick "Keep hot" carafe plate
9. Built-in Cord storage (not shown)
10. Water level markings (inside water reservoir) (not shown)
Note: † indicates consumer replaceable/removable parts
MODEL ❍ CM4000S
Please Read and Save this Use and Care Book.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety
precautions should always be followed including the
❍ Read all instructions.
❍ Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs.
❍ To protect against fire, electric shock and injury to
persons do not immerse cord, plugs or appliance in
water or other liquid.
❍ Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is
used by or near children.
❍ Unplug from outlet when not in use and before
cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off
parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
❍ Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or
plug, or after the appliance malfunctions or has been
damaged in any manner. Return appliance to the
nearest authorized service facility for examination,
repair or adjustment.
❍ The use of accessory attachments not recommended
by the appliance manufacturer may result in fire,
electric shock or injury to persons.
❍ Do not use outdoors.
❍ Do not let cord hang over edge of table or counter, or
touch hot surfaces.
❍ Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner,
or in a heated oven.
❍ To disconnect, turn any control off, then remove plug
from wall outlet.
❍ Do not use this appliance for other than intended use.
❍ Keep lid on the carafe when in use.
Product may vary slightly from what is illustrated.
WASH CARAFE BEFORE
❍ Scalding may occur if the lid is removed during the
❍ The carafe is designed for use with this appliance. It
must never be used on a range top.
❍ Do not set a hot carafe on a wet or cold surface.
❍ Do not use a cracked carafe or a carafe having a
loose or weakened handle.
❍ Do not clean carafe with cleansers, steel wool pads or
other abrasive material.
This product is for household use only.
POLARIZED PLUG (120V Models Only)
This appliance has a polarized plug (one blade is wider than the
other). To reduce the risk of electric shock, this plug is intended to fit
into a polarized outlet only one way. If the plug does not fit fully into
the outlet, reverse the plug. If it still does not fit, contact a qualified
electrician. Do not attempt to modify the plug in any way.
Warning: This appliance is equipped with a tamper-resistant screw
to prevent removal of the outer cover. To reduce the risk of fire or
electric shock, do not attempt to remove the outer cover. There are
no user-serviceable parts inside. Repair should be done only by
authorized service personnel.
a) A short power-supply cord is to be provided to reduce the risk
resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over a longer
b) Longer extension cords are available and may be used if care is
exercised in their use.
c) If an extension cord is used,
1) The marked electrical rating of the detachable power-supply
cord or extension cord should be at least as great as the
electrical rating of the appliance,
2) If the appliance is of the grounded type, the extension cord
should be a grounding-type 3-wire cord, and
3) The longer cord should be arranged so that it will not drape
over the countertop or tabletop where it can be pulled on
by children or tripped over unintentionally.
Note: If the power supply cord is damaged, it should be replaced
by qualified personnel or in Latin America by an authorized service .
How to Use
This product is for household use only.
• Wash removable parts as instructed in CARE AND CLEANING.
• Pour fresh cold water up to 12-cup level mark into the water reservoir.
• Place basket-style paper filter into removable filter basket. Place basket
into filter basket holder.
• Plug cord into standard electrical outlet.
• Brew water through appliance without adding coffee grounds.
• Discard water from the carafe and paper filter from filter basket.
• Turn off appliance; unplug and allow to cool down.
SETTING THE CLOCK
1. Plug appliance into standard electrical outlet.
2. The digital clock display flashes12:00.
3. To change the time: Press HOUR button until the correct time appears on
the display. When the time passes noon "PM" illuminates to let you know
you are in PM time. If the "PM" is not illuminated it is AM time.
4. Press the MIN button to select the minutes.
Note: If the appliance is unplugged or power is interrupted even momentarily,
the time may need to be reset.
1. Open cover.
2. Fill water reservoir using the carafe with desired amount of cold tap
water. Do not exceed the 12-cup (MAX) level on the carafe.
3. Insert removable filter basket into filter basket holder. Make sure basket
handle faces front.
4. Place an 8-12 cup basket-style paper filter into the removable filter
5. Add desired amount of ground coffee. Close cover.
6. Make sure carafe lid is properly attached to the empty carafe. Close the
Note: Coffee may overflow if carafe lid is not properly placed.
7. Place empty carafe on the carafe plate.
8. Plug power cord into an outlet.
9. If regular brew strength is desired, your coffeemaker is set to brew coffee.
10. If strong coffee is desired, press the STRONG/1-4 CUP button once to
select the strong brew. The word STRONG is displayed.
11. Press ON/OFF (I/O) button and brewing begins.
12. Once coffee grounds have cooled, carefully open cover and, discard used
grounds. Close cover.
13. The coffeemaker will keep brewed coffee hot for 2 hours and then
automatically turn off.
14. To turn off the coffeemaker at any time press ON/OFF (I/O) button 3 times.
The ON/OFF (I/O) light goes off. Unplug appliance when not in use.
BREWING 1 TO 4 CUPS
Note: This feature slows down the brewing to extract the best flavor when
brewing a small amount of coffee.
1. Add the appropriate amount of water for the number of cups to be brewed
(from 1 – 4).
2. Fill paper filter with desired amount of coffee grounds.
3. Press the STRONG/1-4 CUP button twice. 1-4 CUP is displayed.
Note: When using this feature coffee will be brewed at regular strength only.
4. Press the ON/OFF (I/O) button, its light illuminates and the brewing cycle
5. To turn off the coffeemaker at any time, press the ON/OFF button 3 times.
Remove the carafe and brewing is paused. The carafe must be placed back on
the carafe plate in 30 seconds to prevent overflow. Brewing begins again.
1. Follow steps 1 through 10 under BREWING COFFEE.
2. Make sure clock has been set to correct time of day.
3. Press the program (PROG) button.
4. The digital clock will flash 12:00.
Note: If the coffeemaker has not been unplugged the last delayed brewing
time will appear on the digital display.
5. To change the time: press HOUR button until the desired correct time
appears on the display. Press the MIN button to select the minutes.
6. Press the AUTO button to activate the delayed brewing. The word AUTO is
7. To check the preset auto time, press PROG button and hold it. Once button
is released, the clock time will display again.
8. If you want to change the preset auto time, press the AUTO button to
cancel the AUTO function. The word AUTO goes off from digital display.
9. Follow steps 3 through 6 under AUTO BREW to reset time.
10. To cancel auto brew, press AUTO button. The word AUTO goes off from
Care and Cleaning
This product contains no user serviceable parts. Refer service to qualified service
• Be sure the unit is unplugged and has cooled.
• Open the cover.
• To remove the filter basket, grip the handle and lift straight up. Discard the
paper filter, if used, and the coffee grounds.
• Wash the filter basket, carafe and carafe lid in dishwasher, top rack or wash by
hand in hot water and soap.
• Wipe the appliance's exterior surface, control panel and carafe plate with a soft
damp cloth. Do not use abrasive cleansers or scouring pads. Never immerse the
coffeemaker in water.
• To clean the inside of the cover, open the cover and leave in the open position.
Wipe surfaces with a damp cloth.
AUTO CLEAN® SYSTEM
We recommend cleaning your coffeemaker once a month.
1. Combine 6 cups of white vinegar and 4 cups of cold water in carafe.
2. Pour into water reservoir.
3. Place an 8 to 12 cup basket style paper filter in the removable filter basket.
Insert filter basket into filter basket holder and close cover.
4. Make sure the lid of the carafe is in place and place empty carafe on the carafe
5. Plug power cord into an outlet.
6. Press AUTO CLEAN to activate cleaning cycle; the word CLEAN is display and
the POWER ON light illuminates.
7. Part of the mixture will brew through. Remaining mixture will be held in
coffeemaker for 30 minutes before completing its brew through.
Note: The entire cleaning cycle will take 45-60 minutes to complete.
8. When the coffeemaker completes the AUTO CLEAN cycle, it beeps and shuts off
9. Brew fresh water through appliance following instructions given in GETTING
STARTED before brewing coffee again.
RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK. DO NOT OPEN.
The lightning symbol refers to "dangerous voltage"; the exclamation symbol refers
to maintenance instructions. See below.
Warning: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not remove the cover of the
coffeemaker. There are no user-serviceable parts inside. Repair should be done by
authorized service personnel only.
• Visit the online service website at www.
For service, repair or any questions regarding
prodprotect.com/applica, or call toll-free
your appliance, call the appropriate 800 number
1-800-231-9786, for general warranty service.
in front of this sheet. Please DO NOT return the
• If you need parts or accessories, please call
product to the place of purchase. Also, please DO
NOT mail product back to manufacturer, nor bring
What does your warranty not cover?
it to a service center. You may also want to consult
• Damage from commercial use
• Damage from misuse, abuse or neglect
the website listed on the cover of this manual.
TWO-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
• Products that have been modified in any way
(Applies only in the United States and Canada)
• Products used or serviced outside the country
What does it cover?
• Any defect in material or workmanship
• Glass parts and other accessory items that are
provided; however, Applica's liability will not
packed with the unit
exceed the purchase price of product.
• Shipping and handling costs associated with
For how long?
the replacement of the unit
• Two years from the date of original purchase
• Consequential or incidental damages (Please
with proof of such purchase.
note, however, that some states do not allow
What will we do to help you?
the exclusion or limitation of consequential or
• Provide you with a reasonably similar
incidental damages, so this limitation may not
replacement product that is either new or
apply to you.)
How does state law relate to this warranty?
How do you get service?
• This warranty gives you specific legal rights.
• Save your receipt as proof of date
You may also have other rights that vary from
state to state or province to province.
is a registered trademark of The Black & Decker Corporation, Towson,
es una marca registrada de The Black & Decker Corporation, Towson,
Made and Printed in People's Republic of China
Fabricado e Impreso en la República Popular de China
© 2011 Applica Consumer Products, Inc.