Catalog No. BDSM400
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PRODUCT,
CALL 1-800-54-HOW-TO (544-6986)
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE, CATALOG No., TYPE No., AND
DATE CODE (e.g. 20000130M). IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN
RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR COMMENT, GIVE
US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA.
ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL PRODUCTO.
Cat No. BDSM400 Form # 624048-01 (SEPT-04) Copyright © 2004 Black & Decker Printed in China
WARNING: Read and understand all instructions. Failure to follow all instructions
listed below may result in electric shock, fire and/or serious personal injury.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
DANGER: Laser Radiation, avoid direct eye exposure, serious eye injury can result.
• Do not use optical tools such as a telescope or transit to view the laser
• Position the laser so unintentional eye contact will be avoided.
• Do not operate the laser around children or allow children to operate the
• Do not disassemble. Modifying the product in any way can increase the risk
of laser radiation.
WARNING: Use of controls or adjustments or performance of procedures other than those
specified in this manual may result in hazardous laser radiation exposure.
• Do not operate in explosive atmospheres, such as in the presence of flammable liquids,
gases, or dust.
• Use only with the specifically designated batteries. Use of any other batteries may create a
risk of fire.
• Store idle product out of reach of children and other untrained persons. Lasers are
dangerous in the hands of untrained users.
• Use only accessories that are recommended by the manufacturer for your model.
Accessories that may be suitable for one laser, may create a risk of injury when used on
• Repairs and servicing MUST be performed by a qualified repair facility. Repairs performed
by unqualified personnel could result in serious injury.
• Do not remove or deface warning labels. Removing labels increases the risk of exposure
• For indoor use only.
• This product is intended for use in a temperature range of 41°F(5°C) - 104°F(40°C).
WARNING: Shock Hazard. Always turn off power when working near electrical wires.
Drilling into or touching live wires can result in severe injury or death.
CAUTION: Material thickness, type of material, moisture content, and other variables
can effect sensing results. The sensor may detect electric wiring or pipes in the same
manner that studs are detected depending on their location to the wall surface. Use
caution when drilling, nailing or cutting into walls, floors and ceilings which may contain
electrical wiring or pipes. These items may be detected by the Stud Sensor in the same
manner in which studs are detected. Because studs are normally spaced 16 inches (406
mm) or 24 inches (610 mm) apart and are usually 1-1/2 inches (38 mm) wide, beware of
anything closer together or of a different width.
Liquid Crystal Display (First Aid Measures)
• If liquid crystal comes in contact with your skin:
Wash area off completely with plenty of water. Remove contaminated clothing.
• If liquid crystal gets into your eye:
Flush the affected eye with clean water and then seek medical attention.
• If liquid crystal is swallowed:
Flush your mouth thoroughly with water. Drink large quantities of water and induce
vomiting. Then seek medical attention.
The label on your tool may include the following symbols.
nm ........................wavelength in nanometers IIIa ......................Class IIIa Laser
Installing the Battery
Ensure on/off switch (F) is in the full “OFF” position. Remove the battery compartment
cover (G) by pressing down on the center of the cover and pulling back. Insert a fresh 9 volt
battery making sure to match (+) and (-) terminals correctly. Replace the battery
compartment cover and securely snap into place.
WARNING: Batteries can explode, or leak, and can cause injury or fire. To reduce this
• Carefully follow all instructions and warnings on the battery label and package.
• Always insert battery correctly with regard to polarity (+ and -), marked on
the battery and the equipment.