Engine Oil and Filter Change
1. Start the engine and allow it to idle for several minutes. Stop the engine.
Tip: The engine must be at normal operating temperature before changing the oil.
CAUTION! Hot engine and exhaust components can cause burns to skin and can ignite a fire if exposed to flammable materials.
Always park the motorcycle clear of flammable materials and where people are not likely to contact hot components.
2. Position the motorcycle securely on the sidestand.
3. Place a drain pan under the drain plug and oil filter.
4. Remove the drain plug and seal. Use the universal tool (under the left side cover) or a good quality 6-mm
5. Allow the oil to drain completely.
6. Using an oil filter wrench, slowly loosen the filter. Allow the oil in the filter to drain before removing the filter.
7. Reinstall the drain plug with a new seal.
Torque: 15 ft-lbs (20 Nm)
8. Clean the oil filter mounting plate and threads.
9. Make sure the new oil filter gasket is properly seated in the oil filter.
10. Apply a thin film of clean engine oil to the gasket. Screw the new filter on until the gasket contacts the filter
mounting plate. Tighten the filter by hand an additional 3/4 turn.
(continued on next page)