BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PRODUCT,
CALL 1-800-54-HOW-TO (544-6986)
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE, CATALOG No.,
TYPE No., AND DATE CODE. IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE
CAN RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR
COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Before operating, make sure that the sweeper tube assembly is locked in place.
• Charge battery for 24 hours before attempting to use your sweeper.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
Form No. 619909-00
Cat. # CS100 (AUG. '03)
WARNING: IMPORTANT SAFETY
WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and understands all safety instructions and other
information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
• Do not point tool discharge at self or bystanders.
• Keep long hair and loose clothing away from openings and moving parts.
When using an electric tool, basic safety precautions should always be
followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including
Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some
examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment
such as dust masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of
California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Wash hands after handling.
READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
• READ and follow all instructions.
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety glasses or goggles at all times when this tool is in use. Safety
glasses are available at extra cost at your local Black & Decker Service Center or authorized service facility.
• DO NOT place outlet of sweeper near eyes or ears when operating.
• STORE IDLE TOOLS. When not in use, the unit should be stored in a dry, high or locked-up place - out of
reach of children.
• DON'T OVERREACH. Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• MAINTAIN TOOL WITH CARE. Keep tool clean for best and safest performance. Follow instructions for proper
• DO NOT attempt to repair the sweeper. To assure product safety and reliability, repairs, maintenance, and
adjustments should be performed by Black & Decker service centers or authorized service centers, always using
Black & Decker replacement parts.
• DO NOT operate sweeper in a gaseous or explosive atmosphere. Motors in these tools normally spark, and
the sparks might ignite fumes.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric tools in damp or wet locations.
Don't use the tool in the rain.
• STAY ALERT – Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate tool when you are tired.
• USE THE RIGHT TOOL – Do not use this tool for any job except that for which it is intended.
• USE EXTRA CARE when cleaning on stairs.
• DO NOT allow to be used as a toy. Close attention is necessary when used by or near children. Not
recommended for use by children.
• DO NOT attempt to clear clogs from tool without first switching unit off.
• USE ONLY as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer's recommended attachments.
• DO NOT put any objects into openings. Do not use with any opening blocked; keep free of dust, lint, hair
and everything that may reduce air flow.
• KEEP hair, loose clothing, fingers, and all parts of body away from openings and moving parts.
• DO NOT immerse any part of the tool in liquid.
• DO NOT handle plug or tool with wet hands.
• KEEP CHILDREN, BYSTANDERS AND ANIMALS AWAY from the work area a minimum of 30 feet (10 meters)
when starting or operating the tool.
• INSPECT THE AREA before using the tool. Remove all debris and hard objects such as rocks, glass, wire, etc.
that can ricochet, be thrown, or otherwise cause injury or damage during operation.
• USE ONLY charger supplied by the manufacture to recharge.
To reduce the risk of electrical shock; do not expose to rain, do not use on
wet surfaces. Store indoors.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Catalog Number CS100
Copyright © 2003 Black & Decker
Printed in China
• Do not incinerate the battery even if it is severely damaged or is completely worn out. The battery can
explode in a fire. Check with local codes for possible special disposal instructions.
• If any leakage of liquid from the battery cells occurs, discontinue use immediately and return the battery
to your local Black & Decker Service Center or authorized service facility.
• Never attempt to open the battery for any reason. If the plastic housing of the battery breaks or cracks,
immediately discontinue use and do not recharge.
• Do not charge appliance in rain or in wet locations.
• Do not open or mutilate the battery. Released electrolyte is corrosive and may cause damage to the
eyes or skin. It may be toxic if swallowed.
• Exercise care in handling batteries in order not to short the battery with conducting materials such as
rings, bracelets and keys. The battery or conductor may overheat and cause burns.
• Do not operate charger with damaged cord or plug -- have them replaced immediately.
• Do not operate charger if it has received a sharp blow, been dropped, or otherwise damaged in any
way; take it to a qualified Black & Decker service center.
• Do not disassemble charger; take it to a qualified Black & Decker service center when service or repair is
required. Incorrect reassembly may result in risk of electric shock or fire. There are no consumer
serviceable parts inside.
• The charger is designed to operate on standard household electrical power (120 volt, 60Hz AC only).
Do not attempt to use it on any other voltage.
• Do not abuse charger cord. To reduce the risk of damage to electric plug and cord never carry charger
by cord or yank it to disconnect from receptacle. Keep charger cord from heat, oil, and sharp edges.
THE LEAD ACID BATTERY FOR YOUR SWEEPER IS ONLY PARTIALLY CHARGED AT THE FACTORY. BEFORE
USING YOUR SWEEPER, THE BATTERY MUST BE CHARGED FOR A MINIMUM OF 24 HOURS.
• If the battery case cracks due to a fall or other impact and the electrolyte gel leaks out, wipe it up with a
cloth, neutralize the acid with any alkaline substance such as ammonia solution or baking soda. If the
electrolyte gets on your skin, immediately flush with water and consult a doctor.
• Your Sweeper is equipped with a charger bracket that may be mounted firmly to a wall in your garage,
shed or similar building. (Hardware for hanging the bracket is included in the plastic bag packed with
the Sweeper.) Charging your battery in this bracket is very convenient because it hangs the tool up, out
of the way and ensures a good, solid contact between the charging terminals.
MOUNTING THE CHARGER BRACKET
1. If you intend to charge the Sweeper in the charger bracket follow the instructions under assembly
instructions on attaching the plug clamp in this manual.
2. Remove the two screws and the plastic anchors from the plastic bag.
3. Use the charger bracket to mark the locations of the holes required. Be sure to mount the bracket high
enough so that the Sweeper can hang freely from it; about 4 feet (1.2m) from the floor.
4. Drill a 7/32" (5.5 mm) diameter hole at each marked location.
5. Insert the plastic anchors into the holes and insert one of the screws in each one. Tighten the screws
until the heads are above the anchors just enough so that the charger bracket will fit between the anchor
and the screw head.
6. Place the charger bracket on the wall (narrow end up) and make sure that the power cord is positioned in
the side slot. Press the charger bracket over the screw heads and slide it down until it sits firmly on the screws.
7. Firmly tighten both screws.
NOTE: If you prefer to charge the unit without the use of the wall mounted charger bracket, remove the two
screws and remove the charger plug from the bracket. (Fig. 3) Simply plug the charger into the unit
TO CHARGE YOUR BATTERY, FOLLOW THE STEPS BELOW
1. Install the sweeper onto the charger bracket by positioning the hanging recess, shown in Figure 4 over
the upper hook of the charger bracket.
2. Rotate the sweeper down, keeping the upper hook engaged with the hanging recess, and position the
locating recess over the lower boss of the charger bracket, as shown in Figure 4.
3. Plug the charger cord into any standard 120 volt, 60Hz outlet. The red LED should be glowing.
Charging will begin immediately and continue at a slow trickle rate until you remove the sweeper from
4. Keep on charge when not in use for maximum battery life.
The switch can be operated by moving the lever from side to side. The "ON" and "OFF" positions are
marked on the housing as shown in Figure 1A & 1B.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
FOR BATTERY & CHARGER
When using electric tools, basic safety precautions should always be
followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including
DO NOT POINT TOOL DISCHARGE AT SELF OR BYSTANDERS.