BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE CATALOG No. AND DATE CODE AVAILABLE. IN MOST CASES, A
BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A
SUGGESTION OR COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Before operating, make sure that the blower tube assembly is locked in place.
• Charge battery for 9 hours before attempting to use your sweeper.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
Cat. No. NS118, NS118G, NS118L Form No. 90509966-01 NOV. '07
Copyright © 2007 Black & Decker
WARNING: Important Safety Warnings
TO REDUCE RISK OF INJURY:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this unit reads and understands all safety
instructions and other information contained in this manual.
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in instructing others.
• Do not point unit discharge at self or bystanders.
• Keep long hair and loose clothing away from openings and moving parts.
When using an electric tool, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce risk of fire, electric shock, and personal injury, including
Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to
the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some
examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the
State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash
hands after handling.
READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING.
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL TOOLS
• READ and follow all instructions.
• A BATTERY OPERATED UNIT with integral batteries or a separate battery pack must be
recharged only with the specified charger for the battery. A charger that may be suitable
for one type of battery may create a risk of fire when used with another battery.
• USE BATTERY OPERATED UNIT ONLY with specifically designated battery pack. Use of
any other batteries may create a risk of fire.
• AVOID accidental starting. Be sure switch is in the locked or off position before inserting
battery pack. Carrying units with your finger on the switch or inserting the battery pack into
a unit with the switch on invites accidents.
• DO NOT use unit if switch does not turn it on or off. A unit that cannot be controlled with the
switch is dangerous and must be repaired.
• DISCONNECT battery pack from unit or place the switch in the locked or off position
before making any adjustments, changing accessories, or storing the unit. Such
preventative safety measures reduce the risk of starting the unit accidentally.
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION – Wear safety glasses or goggles at all times when
this unit is in use. Also use face or dust mask. Safety glasses are available at extra cost at
your local Black & Decker Service Center or authorized service facility.
• DO NOT place outlet of sweeper near eyes or ears when operating.
• STORE IDLE UNITS. When not in use, the unit should be stored in a dry, high or locked-up
place - out of reach of children.
• DON'T OVERREACH. Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• MAINTAIN UNIT WITH CARE. Keep unit clean for best and safest performance. Follow
instructions for proper maintenance.
• DO NOT attempt to repair the sweeper. To assure product safety and reliability, repairs,
maintenance, and adjustments should be performed by Black & Decker service centers or
authorized service centers, always using Black & Decker replacement parts.
• DO NOT operate sweeper in a gaseous or explosive atmosphere. Motors in these units
normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS – Do not use electric units in
damp or wet locations. Don't use the unit in the rain.
• STAY ALERT - Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate unit when
you are tired.
• USE THE RIGHT UNIT – Do not use this unit for any job except that for which it is intended.
• USE EXTRA CARE when cleaning on stairs.
• DO NOT allow to be used as a toy. Close attention is necessary when used by or near
children. Not recommended for use by children.
• DO NOT attempt to clear clogs from unit without first removing battery.
Catalog Number NS118,
Printed in China
• USE ONLY as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer's recommended
• DO NOT put any objects into openings. Do not use with any opening blocked; keep free of
dust, lint, hair and everything that may reduce air flow.
• KEEP hair, loose clothing, fingers, and all parts of body away from openings and moving
• DO NOT immerse any part of the unit in liquid.
• DO NOT handle plug or unit with wet hands.
• KEEP CHILDREN, BYSTANDERS AND ANIMALS AWAY from the work area a minimum
of 30 feet (10 meters) when starting or operating the unit.
• INSPECT THE AREA before using the unit. Remove all debris and hard objects such as
rocks, glass, wire, etc. that can ricochet, be thrown, or otherwise cause injury or damage
• USE ONLY charger supplied by the manufacture to recharge.
• EXERCISE CARE in handling batteries in order not to short the battery with conducting
materials such as rings, bracelets and keys. The battery or conductor may overheat and
• DO NOT OPEN OR MUTILATE the batteries. Released electrolyte is corrosive and may
cause damage to the eyes or skin. It may be toxic if swallowed.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the
circuit(s) or outlet(s) to be used for the hedge trimmer. Receptacles are available having
built-in GFCI protection and may be used for this measure of safety.
CAUTION: EXPOSURE TO PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCTS.
do not use on wet surfaces. Store indoors.
FIRST AID MEASURES FOR GEL COMPONENTS (NS118G ONLY)
If gel within the comfort grip becomes exposed and results in skin contact wash with soap
and water; for eye contact, flush with flowing water. If swallowed, seek medical attention.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) available from 1-800-544-6986
The label on your unit may include the following symbols.
.............. Class II Construction
............safety alert symbol
BATTERY CAP INFORMATION
Battery storage and carrying caps are provided for use whenever the battery is out of the
unit or charger. Remove cap before placing battery in charger or unit.
exposed battery terminals. For example, do not place battery in aprons, pockets, tool
boxes, product kit boxes, drawers, etc. with loose nails, screws, keys, etc. without battery
cap. Transporting batteries can possibly cause fires if the battery terminals inadvertently
come in contact with conductive materials such as keys, coins, hand tools and the like.
The US Department of Transportation Hazardous Material Regulations (HMR) actually
prohibit transporting batteries in commerce or on airplanes (i.e. packed in suitcases and
carryon luggage) UNLESS they are properly protected from short circuits. So when
transporting individual batteries, make sure that the battery terminals are protected and
well insulated from materials that could contact them and cause a short circuit."
SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS
CHARGING THE BATTERY
1. This manual contains important safety and operating instructions.
2. Before using battery charger, read all instructions and cautionary markings on (1) bat-
tery charger, (2) battery, and (3) product using battery.
CAUTION: To reduce the risk of injury, charge only Black & Decker Power Packs.
Other types of batteries may burst causing personal injury and damage.
4. Do not expose charger to rain or snow.
5. Use of an attachment not recommended or sold by Black & Decker may result in a risk
of fire, electric shock, or injury to persons.
6. To reduce risk of damage to electric plug and cord, pull by plug rather than cord when
7. Make sure cord is located so that it will not be stepped on, tripped over, or otherwise
subjected to damage or stress.
8. An extension cord should not be used unless absolutely necessary. Use of improper
extension cord could result in a risk of fire, electric shock or electrocution.
a. Two-wire cords can be used with 2-wire or 3-wire extension cords. Only round
jacketed extension cords should be used, and we recommend that they be listed by
Underwriters Laboratories (U.L.). If the extension is to be used outside, the cord
must be suitable for outdoor use. Any cord marked for outdoor use can also be
used for indoor work. The letters "W" or "WA" on the cord jacket indicate that the
cord is suitable for outdoor use.
b. An extension cord must have adequate wire size (AWG or American Wire Gauge)
for safety, and to prevent loss of power and overheating. The smaller the gauge
number of the wire, the greater the capacity of the cable; that is, 16 gauge has more
capacity than 18 gauge. When using more than one extension to make up the total
length, be sure each extension contains at least the minimum wire size.
To reduce the risk of electrical shock; do not expose to rain,
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
n o ..............no load speed
............ earthing terminal
../min ..........revolutions or reciprocations per minute
Do not store or carry battery so that metal objects can contact