Thank you for purchasing a Canon USM lens. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is a Features high-performance, telephoto zoom lens 1. The four UD elements help capture very sharp dedicated to Canon EOS cameras. It is equipped and clear pictures with outstanding image with an Image Stabilizer to help preventing blurred delineation.
a Safety Precautions This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. • Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) • Increase the separation between the equipment and This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) receiver.
Nomenclature Focusing distance range selection switch (→ 5) Distance scale (→ 10) Hood mount (→ 12) Zoom ring (→ 6) Rubber ring (→ 4) Filter mounting Contacts (→ 4) thread (→ 12) Focusing ring (→ 6) Tripod mount (→ 11) Focus mode switch (→...
2. Setting the Focus 3. Switching the Focusing Mode Distance Range If you are going to take pictures using autofocus, You can set the focusing distance range to set the focus mode switch to 1.4 m/4.6 ft. to infinity or 2.5 m/8.2 ft. to infinity. To focus manually, set the focus mode switch to By setting the suitable focusing distance range, and turn the focusing ring.
4. Zooming 5. Focusing Ring To zoom, turn the zoom ring. The focusing ring can be used at any time regardless of the focus mode. • After autofocusing with the camera in ONE SHOT AF mode, you can adjust the focus by keeping the shutter button pressed halfway and turning the focusing ring.
6. Image Stabilizer Settings The image stabilizer function can be used in both focus modes. Set the STABILIZER switch Select the stabilizer mode. Press the shutter button down halfway to check the • Select MODE 1 for standard stabilization. photography. MODE 1 corrects •...
7. Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer The image stabilizer function is particularly effective for hand-held photography in the following situations: ● MODE 1 ● MODE 2 q In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or q When panning subjects in motion. outdoors at night.
Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer • When you use a tripod, the Image Stabilizer • The Image Stabilizer cannot compensate for a should be turned off to save battery power. blurred shot caused by a subject that moved. • The stabilizer is equally effective for hand-held •...
8. Infinity Compensation Mark 9. Infrared Index To compensate for shifting of the infinity focus The infrared index corrects the focus setting point that results from changes in temperature, when using monochrome infrared film. Focus on you can rotate the distance scale slightly past the subject manually, then adjust the distance the normal infinity focus mark.
10. Using the Tripod Mount Adjusting the Tripod Mount Loosening the orientation locking knob on the tripod mount allows you to turn the lens and camera freely. This is useful when you want to switch the camera between horizontal and vertical positions while it is mounted on a tripod.
You can attach filters to the filter mounting thread on the front of the lens. • If you need a polarizing filter, use Canon’s PL-C 77 mm ll polarizing filter. Note that you must remove the hood before adjusting the polarizing filter.
14. Extenders (Optional) With Extender EF 1.4X ll or EF 2X llattached, the lens specifications will change as follows: Item With EF1.4X ll Extender With EF2X ll Extender Focal length (mm) 98 – 280 140 – 400 Aperture f/4 – 45 f/5.6 –...
• The size and weight listed are for the lens only, except as indicated. • Aperture settings are specified on the camera. • All the specifications above are based on Canon’s testing and measuring standards. • Specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.