This product should be used only with the components supplied or; a cart, rack, or stand that is recommended by Yamaha. If a cart, etc., is used, please observe all safety markings and instructions that accompany the accessory product.
The instrument contains no user-serviceable parts. If it should appear to be malfunctioning, discontinue use immediately and have it inspected by qualified Yamaha service personnel. • Do not expose the instrument to rain, use it near water or in damp or wet conditions, or place containers on it containing liquids which might spill into any openings.
Thank you for choosing the Yamaha UX256 USB-MIDI interface. The UX256 is a MIDI interface that features fast data transfer via USB connection and simultaneous playback of up to 256 channels. Connect the UX256 to a computer that has a USB terminal and enjoy the powerful features of digital music.
UX256 Features • 256-channel Simultaneous Playback You can use six MIDI IN/OUT ports and two TO TG ports (equivalent to serial ports on a computer) simultaneously. In this way, you can build a powerful music produc- tion environment with 16 MIDI OUT ports (256 channels) and eight MIDI IN ports (128 channels).
Notes on USB Don’t turn the power to the UX256 on or off, or connect or disconnect a USB cable under any of the following conditions. Otherwise, the computer may lock up or UX256 functions may be disabled: • The computer is checking the device or loading the driver.
About the included software The included CD-ROM contains the following software (driver). [Windows 98] • USB-MIDI driver (YAMAHA USB-MIDI Driver) You need this driver to operate the UX256. See page 14 for information on installing the driver. [Macintosh] • OMS This is a MIDI driver for Macintosh provided by Opcode Systems.
• Speciﬁcations and descriptions in this Owner’s Manual are for information purposes only. Yamaha Corp. reserves the right to change or modify products or speciﬁcations at any time without prior notice. Since speciﬁcations, equipment or options may not be the same in every locale, please check with your Yamaha dealer.
Even when the power is off (standby), a small current ﬂows through the unit. If you plan not to use the UX256 for a long period of time, be sure to remove the power adaptor from the AC outlet. POWER LED This indicator lights up when the power to the UX256 is turned on.
AC outlet. NOTE Before you turn on the power to the UX256, make sure that the computer and the UX256 are connected correctly. UX256 power adaptor...
(3) Connecting the TO TG terminal to a MIDI device Connect the TO HOST terminal of a MIDI device to the TO TG terminal of the UX256 using an optional serial cable (8-pin Macintosh Peripheral cable). At this time, set the HOST SELECT switch of the MIDI device to “PC-1”...
A USB hub is a device used to expand the number of USB terminals. Using a USB hub will increase the number of available USB terminals, enabling you to connect many USB-supported devices as well as multiple UX256s. UX256 UX256 USB hub...
Installing the Driver To operate the UX256, you need to install the driver on the computer correctly. USB-MIDI driver is software that transmits MIDI signals back and forth between sequence software and the UX256 via a USB cable. If you are using a Macintosh computer, you also need to install the OMS driver (page 18) as well as the USB-MIDI driver.
Follow the steps below to install the driver. 1. Start the computer. 2. Make sure that the power to the UX256 is turned off (standby). Connect the USB terminal of the computer or the USB hub to the USB terminal of the UX256 using the included USB cable.
7. When the system detects the driver in the CD-ROM and is ready for installation, it displays the following screen. Make sure that the “YAMAHA USB MIDI Driver” is listed, and click [Next]. The system starts installation. Installing the Driver “Search for the best driver for your...
Follow the steps below to make sure the driver has been installed correctly. 1. Double-click “System” window. 2. Click the “Device Manager” is listed. Driver” in the to open the System Properties Control Panel tab and check to see if “YAMAHA USB MIDI...
Selecting the destination for the MIDI signal output This section explains how to set up the UX256 for use with Media Player (included in Windows 98) or an equivalent program. For information on setting up your sequence software, refer to the owner’s manual for the software.
Installing the Driver Installing the driver on a Macintosh system First install OMS before you install the driver. Also, after installing the driver, you will need to set up OMS (page 20). (1) Installing OMS 1. Start the computer. 2. Insert the included CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive. The system dis- plays the CD-ROM icon on the desktop.
• System Folder | Control Panels | YAMAHA USB MIDI Patch • System Folder | Extensions | USB YAMAHA MIDI Driver • System Folder | OMS Folder | YAMAHA USB MIDI OMS Driver box displays the destination of the installation. If...
USB terminal of the computer or the USB hub to the USB terminal of the UX256. 3. Turn on the power to the UX256. Make sure the red POWER LED and green USB LED on the UX256 light up steadily.
Check the cable connection and repeat the procedure from the begin- ning. • If your iMac does not detect the UX256, “iMac Update 1.1” may not have been installed. See page 8 for more information. • The system displays one “USB-MIDI x” message for each connected UX256.
Installing the Driver 9. Make sure that “OMS MIDI Device Setup” dialog. Check all Ports 1-16 check boxes. 10. Click [OK] 11. The system displays a dialog box that enables you to save the setup ﬁle. Enter the ﬁle name and click and multiple Port numbers are listed in the “USB-MIDI 1”...
12. After you save the ﬁle, the sys- tem displays the following win- dow. The setting is complete if “ ” mark appears before the ﬁle name. The driver installation and OMS setup is now complete. Using 2 or more UX256s First connect multiple UX256s, then proceed to the OMS setup procedure (page 20).
Sequence software transmits and receives MIDI signals to and from the UX256 via the driver (page 13). The UX256 is equipped with six MIDI IN/OUT terminals and two TO TG terminals. You specify the I/O ports of the UX256 to control from the computer’s sequence software.
MIDI Patch screen in Windows 98. [Windows 98] 1. Double-click “Control Panel” in the “My Computer” folder. 2. Double-click “MIDI-USB Driver” to display the screen. [Macintosh] Select “Control Panels” from the Apple menu, then select “YAMAHA USB MIDI Patch” to display the screen.
• Note Off Message When you click [Send All Note OFF], a MIDI All Note Off message will be sent to all ports on the UX256. • Note On Message When you click [Send All Note On], a MIDI All Note On message will be sent to all...
If you check multiple check boxes vertically, MIDI signals from multiple output ports on the computer are merged and transmitted to one output port on the UX256. If you check multiple check boxes horizontally, a MIDI signal from one output port on the computer is distributed to multiple output ports on the UX256.
Changing the driver setting (MIDI Patch Screen) Changing the connection during recording (MIDI IN You can change the I/O assignment of the computer’s input port and the UX256’s input port. The left column shows the computer’s input ports (IN 1-8), and the top column shows the UX256’s input ports (1-8).
Changing the driver setting (MIDI Patch Screen) THRU output of MIDI signals (MIDI IN You can route MIDI signals received at the input port(s) of the UX256 directly to the output port(s) of the UX256 (this is called THRU output). This routing is useful when you wish to route MIDI signals from a MIDI keyboard directly to a tone generator.
Disconnect the USB cable, then connect it again. • [Windows 98] Is the USB function enabled on your computer? When you connect the UX256 to the computer for the ﬁrst time, if the “Add New Hardware Wizard” (page 14) does not appear, the USB function on the computer may be disabled.
[View | Folder Options], then select “Show all ﬁles.” \WINDOWS\INF\OTHER\YAMAHAYMIDUSB.INF \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Xgusb.drv \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Ymidusb.sys 4. Turn off the power to the UX256 and remove the USB cable. 5. Restart the computer. 6. Re-install the driver according to the instructions on page 14. • [Macintosh] 1.
* This applies only to products distributed by YAMAHA CORPORATION OF AMERICA. manual, may cause interference harmful to the operation of other electronic de- vices.
For details of products, please contact your nearest Yamaha or the authorized distributor listed below. Pour plus de détails sur les produits, veuillez-vous adresser à Yamaha ou au distributeur le plus proche de vous ﬁgurant dans la liste suivante. NORTH AMERICA CANADA Yamaha Canada Music Ltd.