The M896 Damper Actuator is a 24 Vac motor with an
external shaft for coupling. Powered rotation is counter-
clockwise (ccw), with a maximum rotation of 110°. The
actuator is designed as a replacement actuator for the
D892 and D896 Automatic Vent Dampers or as the
original actuator on similar OEM dampers. Maximum OEM
damper operating torque cannot exceed ten in.-oz.
On a call for heat, the actuator automatically opens the
damper and the furnace or boiler begins its ignition cycle.
When the heating cycle ends, the burner turns off and the
actuator automatically closes the damper. Heating system
efficiency is increased because the closed damper
reduces the loss of residual appliance heat and heated
room air through the draft diverter.
When Installing this Product...
1. Read these instructions carefully. Failure to follow
them could cause a hazardous condition.
2. Check the ratings given in the instructions and on
the product to make sure the product is suitable for
3. Installer must be a trained experienced service
4. Install the M896 Damper Actuator as a replacement
only on AGA/CGA-approved damper systems.
5. After installation is complete, check out actuator
operation as provided in the Checkout section.
Severe illness or death possible.
Prevent dangerous buildup of
Be sure damper used with M896 has a return
spring that opens the damper if the coupler fails.
Electrical shock or equipment
Disconnect power supply.
Do not negate the action of any existing safety
or operational control.
Make sure that the damper return spring is
operational prior to installing the actuator.
Copyright © 1997 Honeywell Inc. • All Rights Reserved
Label all wires prior to disconnecting when
servicing controls. Wiring errors can cause
improper and dangerous operation.
To Install the M896 Damper Actuator:
1. Remove the existing actuator.
2. Make sure the damper return spring is operational.
(The damper return spring must open the damper
when the actuator coupling is removed to prevent a
dangerous buildup of carbon monoxide.)
3. Locate the arrow coupler and keeper clip
(see Fig. 1).
Fig. 1. Installing arrow coupler on damper
shaft using keeper clip.
4. Slip keeper clip over arrow coupler as shown in Fig.
1. This compresses the arrow coupler.
5. Install the arrow coupler in the slot on the damper
shaft with the arrow pointing up.
6. Align the slot on the actuator shaft with the arrow
coupler and attach the actuator to the damper.
See Fig. 2. (If the actuator output shaft is not
properly aligned with the arrow coupler, manually
turn the motor knob with a screwdriver to align the
7. Attach the actuator to the damper bracket using the
screws removed in step 1.
8. Remove the keeper clip from the arrow coupler.
9. Connect the Molex plug to the M896 Harness Cable