using this manual This user manual has been specially designed to guide you through the functions and features of your mobile device. Instructional icons Before you start, familiarise yourself with the icons you will see in this manual: Warning—situations that could cause injury to yourself or others Caution—situations that could cause damage to your device or other equipment...
→ Followed by—the order of options or menus you must select to perform a step; for example: Select Messaging → New message (represents Messaging, followed by New message) Square brackets—device keys; for example: [ ] (represents the Power key) Copyright information Rights to all technologies and products that comprise this device are the property of their respective owners:...
ABOUT DIVX VIDEO ® DivX is a digital video format created by DivX, Inc. This is an official DivX Certified device that plays DivX video. Visit www.divx.com for more information and software tools to convert your files into DivX video. ABOUT DIVX VIDEO-ON-DEMAND ®...
contents safety and usage information ... 2 Safety warnings ... 2 Safety precautions ... 5 Important usage information ... 7 introducing your device ... 13 Unpack ... 13 Device layout ... 14 Keys ... 15 Icons ... 16 getting started with your device ... 18 Assemble and prepare your mobile device ...
Enter text ... 29 Download applications from Android Market ... 30 Download files from the web ... 31 Synchronise data ... 32 communication ... 34 Calls ... 34 Text and multimedia messages ... 37 Google Mail™ ... 38 Email messages ... 40 Google Talk™...
safety and usage information Comply with the following precautions to avoid dangerous or illegal situations and ensure peak performance of your mobile device. Safety warnings Keep your device away from small children and pets Keep your device and all accessories out of the reach of small children or animals.
Handle and dispose of batteries and chargers with care • Use only Samsung-approved batteries and chargers specifically designed for your device. Incompatible batteries and chargers can cause serious injuries or damage to your device.
Do not use the device if the screen is cracked or broken Broken glass or acrylic could cause injury to your hand and face. Bring the device to a Samsung service centre to replace the screen. Damage caused by careless handling will void your...
Follow all safety warnings and regulations Comply with any regulations that restrict the use of a mobile device in a certain area. Use only Samsung-approved accessories Using incompatible accessories may damage your device or cause injury. Turn off the device near medical...
Protect batteries and chargers from damage • Avoid exposing batteries to very cold or very hot temperatures (below 0° C/32° F or above 45° C/ 113° F). Extreme temperatures can reduce the charging capacity and life of your batteries. • Prevent batteries from contacting metal objects, as this can create a connection between the + and - terminals of your batteries and lead to temporary or permanent battery damage.
Avoid interference with other electronic devices Your device emits radio frequency (RF) signals that may interfere with unshielded or improperly shielded electronic equipment, such as pacemakers, hearing aids, medical devices, and other electronic devices in homes or vehicles. Consult the manufacturers of your electronic devices to solve any interference problems you experience.
• Disconnect chargers from power sources when not in use. • Use batteries only for their intended purpose. Handle SIM cards and memory cards with care • Do not remove a card while the device is transferring or accessing information, as this could result in loss of data and/or damage to the card or device.
European Radio & Terminal Telecommunications Equipment (R&TTE) directive. For more information about the SAR and related EU standards, visit the Samsung mobile device website. Correct disposal of this product (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) (Applicable in the European Union and...
Household users should contact either the retailer where they purchased this product, or their local government office, for details of where and how they can take these items for environmentally safe recycling. Business users should contact their supplier and check the terms and conditions of the purchase contract.
“THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." SAMSUNG DOES NOT WARRANT CONTENT OR SERVICES SO PROVIDED, EITHER EXPRESSLY OR IMPLIEDLY, FOR ANY PURPOSE.
Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and services are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Samsung has no control.
• The items supplied with your device may vary depending on the software and accessories available in your region or offered by your service provider. You can obtain additional accessories from your local Samsung dealer. • The supplied accessories perform best for your device.
Device layout The front of your device includes the following keys and features: Volume key Confirm key Menu key Google Search key Dial key The rear of your device includes the following keys and features: Multifunction jack Earpiece Microphone for recording videos Hold key Touch screen...
Keys Function Open a list of options available on Menu the current screen Scroll through applications or Navigation menu options Confirm Confirm your selection or input Return to the previous screen Back Google Access the Google search Search Return to the Home screen; Open Home the list of recent programs (press and hold)
Icons Learn about the icons that appear on your screen. Icon Definition Signal strength GPRS network connected EDGE network connected UMTS network connected HSDPA network connected Roaming (outside of normal service area) GPS activated More status icons are available (touch the icon to see them) Call in progress Icon...
Icon Definition Silent mode activated Music playback in progress Wireless functions disabled Battery power level Alarm activated Current time...
getting started with your device Learn about basics to start using your device. Assemble and prepare your mobile device Get started by assembling and setting up your mobile device for its first use. Install the SIM or USIM card and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will receive a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card with subscription details, such as your personal...
To install the SIM or USIM card and battery, 1. Remove the battery cover. If the device is on, turn it off. 2. Insert the SIM or USIM card. • Place the SIM or USIM card in the device with p.
3. Insert the battery. 4. Replace the battery cover. Charge the battery Before using the device for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack on the top of the device. 2. Plug the small end of the travel adapter into the multifunction jack.
3. Plug the large end of the travel adapter into a power outlet. 4. When the battery is fully charged (the no longer moving), unplug the travel adapter from the power outlet. 5. Unplug the travel adapter from the device. 6.
3. Push the memory card in the memory card slot until it locks in place. 4. Replace the battery cover. Removing a memory card Before removing a memory card, first unmount it for safe removal. 1. Open the application list ( p. 27) and →...
Turn your device on and off To turn your device on, press and hold [ device will automatically connect to the cellular network. You may be charged for data connection because the connection to the Google web server is always active by default. To turn your device off, 1.
Use the touch screen Your device’s touch screen lets you easily select items or perform functions. Learn basic actions to use the touch screen. • To avoid scratching the touch screen, do not use sharp tools. • Do not allow the touch screen to come in contact with other electrical devices.
• Drag your finger up or down to scroll through vertical lists. • Drag your finger left or right to scroll through horizontal lists. Get to know the Home screen When your device turns on, the Home screen appears. From this screen, you can access various features and status information.
2. Select the item category → an item: • Shortcuts: Add shortcuts to items, such as applications, bookmarks, and contacts. • Android widgets or Samsung widgets: Add widgets, such as the analogue clock, calendar, and mini player. • Folders: Create a new folder or add folders for your contacts.
View network information and notifications Drag the status bar down from the top of the screen to access the network information and the notification list. To clear the notification list, select Clear. To hide the list, drag the bottom of the list up. Access applications To access your device’s applications, 1.
Customise your device Get more from your device by customising it to match your preferences. Turn on or off the touch tone From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings → Sound & display → Audible selection. Adjust the volume of the ringtones From the Home screen, press the Volume key up or down to adjust the ringtone volume.
2. See the on-screen instructions and example patterns and select Next (if necessary). 3. Draw a pattern by dragging your finger to connect at least 4 dots. 4. Select Continue. 5. Draw a pattern again to confirm. 6. Select Confirm. Once you set an unlock pattern, your device will require the pattern each time you turn it on.
• To hide the Android keyboard, press [ • Touch and hold Android keyboard settings to change the keyboard settings. • You can change the keyboard type if you have more than one keyboard downloaded from the web. Touch and hold and select Input method →...
Install applications 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Market. 2. Select Accept when the terms and conditions appears. 3. Select an item category → an item. 4. Select Install (for free items) or Buy. 5. If you select Install, the item will start downloading immediately.
Download files from the web 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Browser. 2. Search for a file or application and download it. To install applications downloaded from websites other than Android Market, you must select Settings →...
5. Specify the server settings and select Next. 6. Customise the account options and select Next. 7. Enter an account name and a user name and select Done. Activate automatic sync If you add or edit data in any of the applications (Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts) on the web, the updated information will appear on your device, and vice versa.
communication Learn basics to make and answer calls, and to send and receive many types of messages over cellular networks and the internet. Calls Learn to make or answer calls and use call functions. When you put your device close to your ear during a call, your device automatically locks the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs.
Answer a call 1. When a call comes in, press [ If the supplied headset is connected to your device, you can press the headset button. 2. To end the call, press [ Adjust the volume To adjust the volume during a call, press the Volume key up or down.
3. Touch and hold 0 to insert the + character. 4. Enter the complete number you want to dial (country code, area code, and phone number), and then press [ ] to dial. Call a contact from Contacts You can call numbers directly from Contacts using stored contacts.
Make a multiparty call (conference call) 1. Call the first party you want to add to the multiparty call. 2. While connected to the first party, call the second party. The first party is automatically placed on hold. 3. When connected to the second party, press ] →...
Send a multimedia message 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Messaging → New message. 2. Enter a recipient’s phone number or email address. To select a number or email address saved in your contact list, select to open the contact list.
View email messages 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Google Mail. 2. Select an email message from the message thread list. You can reply to or forward a message; from the open message, select Reply, Reply to all, or Forward.
5. To attach an image file, press [ a file. 6. Select Send to send the message. Email messages Learn to send or view email messages via your personal or company email account. Set up a POP3 or IMAP account You can retrieve messages from up to five POP3 or IMAP accounts.
Send an email message 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Email → an email account. ] → Compose. 2. Press [ 3. Enter an email address. 4. Select the subject input field and enter a subject. 5.
2. Select a friend from the Friends list. The chat screen opens. 3. Enter your message and select Send. To insert emoticons, press [ Insert smiley. 4. To switch between active chats, press [ Switch chats. ] → End chat. 5.
media Learn to use the media applications on your device: Music, Videos, Camera, Gallery, and YouTube. Supported file formats Your device supports the following file formats: File type Extension Audio .amr, .mp3, .mid, .ogg, .wav, .imy, .ota, .rtttl Video .3gp, .mp4, .avi Image .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png File type...
Music Learn how to listen to music via the music player. Add music files to your device Start by adding files to your device or memory card: • Download from the wireless web. • Copy to your memory card. Copy music files to a memory card 1.
Icon/Key Function Progress Move your finger on the progress bar to play a specific point in the file 1. When you use the Bluetooth headsets, these functions will be unavailable. 2. When you touch the player screen, these icons are shown.
Camera and camcorder Learn the basics to capture and view photos and videos. To use the camera and camcorder, you must first insert a memory card. Capture photos 1. Press and hold the Camera key to turn on the camera. 2.
• To set the exposure value, select • To select a sensitivity of camera imaging sensor, select • To zoom in or out, select 5. Press the Camera key to start recording. 6. Press the Camera key or select recording. The video is saved automatically.
Customise camera settings Before capturing a photo, select the following settings: Setting Function Set the camera to record GPS information to photos Select a sound to accompany the Shutter Sound shutter action Set the camera to switch to the Review review screen after capturing photos Guideline...
2. Select an image folder → an image file. Photos you have captured are saved in Camera pictures. 3. Scroll left or right to view photos. • Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view. • To zoom in or out, touch and hold the screen. When appears, scroll up or down.
• You must register the DivX code at the DivX website. To check your DivX code, from the Home screen, open the application list and select DivX® VOD. • Avoid locking the device’s screen while playing a DivX Video on-demand. Each time you lock the screen while playing a DivX Video on-demand, one of your available rental counts will be decremented.
YouTube™ YouTube is a free online video streaming service. Learn to view and share videos via YouTube. Watch videos 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select YouTube. 2. Select a video from the list of the featured videos.
Java ME applications Learn to use Java Micro Edition (ME) applications on your device. Java ME supports networked and offline applications that can be downloaded dynamically. This feature may be unavailable depending on your region or service provider. Download Java applications 1.
• Background running: Set whether or not Java can run in the background while you use other applications. • No default MIDlet: Set the default MIDlet to be launched from a suite when there is more than one MIDlet. • Full screen mode support: Set to display the currently running Java application in full screen mode.
personal productivity Learn to manage contacts and schedule calendar events. Your contacts and calendar are synchronised with the Google web server. Contacts Learn to use contact cards and groups to store personal information, such as names, phone numbers, and addresses. Create a contact To create a contact from the dialler screen, 1.
To create a contact from the contact list, 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Contacts. ] → New contact. 2. Press [ 3. Enter contact information. To add a caller ID image, select the image field. 4.
Set up a favourite contact list You can set contacts as your favourites and manage them separately from your regular contacts. Start with adding contacts to the favourite list. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Contacts. 2.
View multiple calendars If you have created Google Calendar on the web and synchronised to your device, you can select a calendar to display on your device. Also, you can view scheduled events in Google Calendar. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Calendar.
View event reminders If you set a reminder alarm for a calendar event, the icon appears on the status bar. 1. Drag the status bar down from the top of the screen to open the notification list. 2. Select a reminder to view more details about the event.
Learn to connect to the wireless web with the built-in web browser. Learn to use Google Search and Browser Learn to access and bookmark your favourite web pages. • You may incur additional charges for accessing the web and downloading media. •...
2. Access a web page: ] → Bookmarks → a bookmark. • Press [ ] → Bookmarks, select the Most • Press [ visited or History tab, and select a web page. • Select the address field, enter a web address, and select Go.
3. Enter a keyword in the search field. The web page will highlight the text that matches your input. Bookmark your favourite web pages 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Browser. ] → Bookmarks → Add. 2.
1. From the Home screen, press [ Google Search field. The Quick Search Box will appear. You can directly access Quick Search Box while using applications by pressing [ 2. To search by entering keywords, enter a keyword and select To search by voice, select and say a keyword or the name of an application.
Find your location 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Maps. ] → My Location. 2. Press [ Search for a specific location 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Maps. ] → Search. 2.
Learn how to work with your mobile device’s tools and additional applications. Bluetooth tools Learn about your device’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for using hands-free features. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings →...
2. Select a device from the Bluetooth device list. 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, and select OK. When the owner of the other device enters the same PIN or accepts the connection, pairing is complete.
Activate and connect to a WLAN 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings → Wireless & networks → Wi-Fi. Your device detects and indicates the presence of the available WLAN networks. 2. Select Wi-Fi settings. 3.
] → Desk clock. 3. Press [ 4. While using the clock display, use the following features: • To create or delete an alarm, select • To play a slideshow, select • To launch the music player, select • To return to the home screen, select Set a new alarm 1.
2. Enter the numbers and operators using the calculator buttons on the screen. To clear the displayed numbers, select CLEAR. 3. To view the result, select =. To use the advanced operators, press [ Advanced panel. Voice Recorder Learn to operate your device’s voice recorder. Record a voice memo 1.
My Files Learn to view all files and folders on your memory card. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select My Files. 2. Navigate through files and folders by selecting folders to open them and selecting to a higher level.
To access your device settings, settings 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings. 2. Select a category. Learn about your device settings. Wireless & networks Change the settings for wireless network connections. Airplane mode Disable all wireless functions on your device. Wi-Fi Turn the WLAN feature on or off.
Wi-Fi settings • Wi-Fi: Turn the WLAN feature on or off. • Network notification: Set the device to notify you when an open network is available. • Add Wi-Fi network: Add WLAN networks. Bluetooth Turn the Bluetooth wireless feature on or off. Bluetooth settings •...
Call settings Change the settings for call functions. Fixed Dialing Numbers • Enable FDN: Restrict outgoing calls only to contacts specified in the SIM or USIM card. To activate or deactivate this feature, enter the PIN2 supplied with your SIM or USIM card and reboot the device.
• Auto Answer: Select the length of time before the device answers a call automatically when you do not answer. This is available only when the headset or Bluetooth headset is connected. Network operators • Search networks: Search for available networks and select one to use for roaming.
Audible touch tones Set the device to sound when you touch the keys on the dialler. Audible selection Set the device to sound when you select an application or option on the touch screen. Haptic feedback Set the device to vibrate when you touch the keys. SD card notifications Set the device to sound when a memory card is recognised.
Use GPS satellites Enable the GPS functionality for checking locations, if supported in an application. You can view locations at street level by using the GPS. Set unlock pattern Set an unlock pattern to unlock the device. Require pattern Set the device to require the unlock pattern you have set each time you turn it on.
Install from SD card Install encrypted certificates that are stored on a memory card. Set password Create and confirm a password for accessing credentials. Clear storage Erase the credential contents from the device and reset the password. Applications Change the setting for managing installed applications.
• USB debugging: Select to connect your device to a PC by using a PC data cable. • If you want to use Samsung PC Studio (Samsung Kies), you need to deactivate the USB mass storage mode in Applications →...
Use My Location Set the device to use your current location for Google services. Back up my settings Back up and restore your device’s settings to Google server. Factory data reset Delete all your data and restore the default settings. SD card &...
Language & keyboard Change the settings for text input. Select locale Select a display language for all menus and applications, and a writing language for all text editors. Android keyboard Available options may vary depending on your region or service provider. •...
Accessibility Set a type or intensity of the vibration as your preference. Text-to-speech Change the settings for the text-to-speech feature that reads aloud text from messages or applications that support the feature. Listen to an example Listen to the spoken text for an example. Install voice data Install voice data for using the text-to-speech feature.
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile device, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. When you turn on your device or while you are using the device, it prompts you to enter one of the following codes: Code Try this to solve the problem: When using the device for the first time or...
The device prompts you to insert the SIM card. Ensure that the SIM or USIM card is installed correctly. Your device does not show a signal (no bars next to the network icon) • If you just turned on the device, wait about 2 minutes for your device to find the network and receive a signal.
Another caller cannot hear you speaking • Ensure that you are not blocking the built-in microphone. • Move the built-in microphone closer to your mouth. • If using a headset, ensure that it is properly connected. The sound quality of a call is poor •...
Your device prompts you to delete some data The available memory is low. Move your data to a memory card or delete old items from applications. Your device cannot connect to the internet • Ensure that you have entered valid settings for your internet service provider.
Your device freezes or has fatal errors Installed applications may cause errors. In this case, enter Safe mode and then delete the latest applications you have installed. To enter Safe mode, press and hold [ ] until “Safe Mode” will appear while the device is booting.
index Android market applications downloading from Android Market, 31 downloading from web, 32 viewing history, 32 battery charging, 20 installing, 18 low battery indicator, 21 Bluetooth activating, 64 connecting to other devices, 64 visibility setting, 65 calculator calendar changing views, 56 creating events, 57 viewing multiple calendars, 57 viewing reminders, 58...
copy and paste in a web page, 61 in an application, 30 date and time email messages sending email, 41 sending Google mail, 39 setting up accounts, 40 viewing email, 40 viewing Google mail, 39 enter text file formats fixed dialling numbers (FDN) gallery Google Mail Google Maps...
security SIM card status bar switchers sync with Google server auto-sync, 32 manually, 33 text copy and paste, 30 entering, 29 messages, 37 text messages sending, 37 viewing, 38 touch tone unlock pattern videos capturing, 46 sharing 50 sharing, 51 viewing, 46 volume call volume, 35...
(place and date of issue) (name and signature of authorised person) * It is not the address of Samsung Service Centre. For the address or the phone number of Samsung Service Centre, see the warranty card or contact the retailer where you purchased your product.
Some of the contents in this manual may differ from your device depending on the software of the device or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-28457A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (EU). 03/2010. Rev. 2.0...