Some of the contents in this manual may differ from your device depending on the software of the device or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-25706A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (EU). 01/2010. Rev. 1.4...
Instructional icons using this Before you start, familiarise yourself with the icons you will see in this manual: manual Warning—situations that could cause injury to yourself or others This user manual has been specially Caution—situations that could cause designed to guide you through the functions and damage to your device or other equipment features of your mobile device.
• Google, Android Market, Google Talk, Google → Mail, and Google Maps are trademarks of Followed by—the order of options or Google, Inc. menus you must select to perform a step; for example: Select Messaging → New • YouTube is a trademark of YouTube, LLC. ®...
ABOUT DIVX VIDEO ® DivX is a digital video format created by DivX, Inc. This is an official DivX Certified device that plays DivX video. Visit www.divx.com for more information and software tools to convert your files into DivX video. ABOUT DIVX VIDEO-ON-DEMAND ®...
safety and usage information ....2 Safety warnings .......... 2 contents Safety precautions ........5 Important usage information ....... 7 introducing your device ......13 Unpack ............. 13 Device layout ..........14 Keys ............15 Icons ............16 getting started with your device .... 18 Assemble and prepare your mobile device ............
Enter text ..........28 Gallery ............45 Download applications from YouTube™ ..........47 Android Market ......... 30 Java ME applications ........ 48 Download files from the web ..... 31 personal productivity ......50 Synchronise data ........32 Contacts ........... 50 communication ........
Safety warnings safety and Keep your device away from small usage children and pets Keep your device and all accessories out of the information reach of small children or animals. Small parts may cause choking or serious injury if swallowed. Protect your hearing Comply with the following precautions to avoid dangerous or illegal situations and ensure peak...
Install mobile devices and equipment • Never place batteries or devices on or in heating devices, such as microwave ovens, stoves, or with caution radiators. Batteries may explode when Ensure that any mobile devices or related equipment overheated. installed in your vehicle are securely mounted. Avoid •...
Turn off the device in potentially Do not use the device if the screen is explosive environments cracked or broken Do not use your device at refuelling points (service Broken glass or acrylic could cause injury to your stations) or near fuels or chemicals. Turn off your hand and face.
Turn off the device near medical Safety precautions equipment Your device can interfere with medical equipment in Drive safely at all times hospitals or health care facilities. Follow all regulations, posted warnings, and directions from Avoid using your device while driving and obey all medical personnel.
Protect batteries and chargers from • Do not allow your device to get wet—liquids can cause serious damage and will change the colour damage of the label that indicates water damage inside the • Avoid exposing batteries to very cold or very hot device.
Avoid interference with other electronic Important usage information devices Your device emits radio frequency (RF) signals that Use your device in the normal position may interfere with unshielded or improperly shielded Avoid contact with your device’s internal antenna. electronic equipment, such as pacemakers, hearing aids, medical devices, and other electronic devices Allow only qualified personnel to service in homes or vehicles.
• Disconnect chargers from power sources when Ensure access to emergency services not in use. Emergency calls from your device may not be • Use batteries only for their intended purpose. possible in some areas or circumstances. Before travelling in remote or undeveloped areas, plan an Handle SIM cards and memory cards alternate method of contacting emergency services with care...
During testing, the maximum SAR recorded for this Correct disposal of this product model was 0.595 W/kg. In normal use, the actual (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) SAR is likely to be much lower, as the device has (Applicable in the European Union and been designed to emit only the RF energy necessary other European countries with separate to transmit a signal to the nearest base station.
Household users should contact either the retailer Correct disposal of batteries in this where they purchased this product, or their local product government office, for details of where and how they (Applicable in the European Union and can take these items for environmentally safe other European countries with separate recycling.
Disclaimer SAMSUNG EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, Some content and services accessible through this WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS device belong to third parties and are protected by FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. SAMSUNG DOES copyright, patent, trademark and/or other intellectual NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, VALIDITY, property laws.
Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and services are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Samsung has no control.
Unpack introducing your Check your product box for the following items: • Mobile device device • Battery • Travel adapter (charger) • User manual In this section, learn about your mobile device’s • The items supplied with your device may vary layout, keys, and icons.
Device layout The rear of your device includes the following keys and features: The front of your device includes the following keys Multifunction and features: Headset jack jack Earpiece Microphone Camera lens for recording videos Hold key Touch screen Battery cover Volume key 4-way navigation key...
Keys Function Make or answer a call; In Idle Function Dial mode, retrieve recently dialled, Open a list of options available on missed, or received numbers Menu the current screen Turn on the device (press and Scroll through applications or Power hold);...
Icons Icon Definition Call diverting activated Learn about the icons that appear on your screen. Connected to PC Icon Definition Bluetooth activated Signal strength Bluetooth device connected GPRS network connected Wi-Fi activated EDGE network connected Synchronised with the web UMTS network connected No SIM or USIM card Roaming (outside of normal service area) New text message (SMS) or multimedia...
Icon Definition Music playback in progress Wireless functions disabled Battery power level Alarm activated Current time...
Assemble and prepare your mobile getting started device Get started by assembling and setting up your with your device mobile device for its first use. Install the SIM or USIM card and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will Learn about basics to start using your device.
To install the SIM or USIM card and battery, 2. Insert the SIM or USIM card. 1. Remove the battery cover. • Place the SIM or USIM card in the device with If the device is on, turn it off. p.
3. Insert the battery. Charge the battery Before using the device for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack on the top of the device. 2. Plug the small end of the travel adapter into the multifunction jack.
3. Plug the large end of the travel adapter into a Insert a memory card (optional) power outlet. To store additional multimedia files, you must insert a 4. When the battery is fully charged (the icon is memory card. Your device accepts microSD™ or no longer moving), unplug the travel adapter from microSDHC™...
3. Push the memory card in the memory card slot Attach a hand strap (optional) until it locks in place. 1. Remove a battery cover. 4. Replace the battery cover. 2. Slide a hand strap through the slot and hook it Removing a memory card over the small projection.
Turn your device on and off Lock or unlock the touch screen and keys To turn your device on, press and hold [ ]. Your You can lock the touch screen and the keys to device will automatically connect to the cellular prevent any unwanted device operations.
Use the touch screen • Drag your finger up or down to scroll through vertical lists. Your device’s touch screen lets you easily select items or perform functions. Learn basic actions to use the touch screen. For the optimal use of the touch screen, remove the screen protection film before using your device.
Get to know the Home screen Scroll through the Home screen Drag left or right to view the hidden area of the Home When your device turns on, the Home screen screen. appears. From this screen, you can access various features and status information.
Move items on the Home screen View network information and notifications 1. Touch and hold an item to move. Drag the status bar down from the top of the screen 2. Drag the item to the location you want when the to access the network information and the item is magnified.
2. Select an application to access. Customise your device • When you use applications provided by Get more from your device by customising it to Google, you must have a Google account. If match your preferences. you do not have a Google account, sign up for a Google account by selecting Create on Turn on or off the touch tone the first setup screen.
Change your ringtone 2. See the on-screen instructions and example patterns and select Next (if necessary). 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings → Sound & display → 3. Draw a pattern by dragging your finger to connect at least 4 dots.
Enter text using the Android keyboard • To hide the Android keyboard, press [ • Touch and hold and select When you touch the text input field, the Android Android keyboard settings to change the keyboard appears at the bottom of the screen. Enter keyboard settings.
4. Touch and hold the highlighted text. Install applications 5. Select Copy to copy the text into the clipboard. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Market. 6. In another application, touch and hold the text input field.
Download files from the web Download files from the web 1. From the Home screen, open the application list When you download files or web applications from and select Browser. the web, your device saves them in a memory card. For checking supported file formats, see “Supported 2.
Synchronise data 2. Select Auto-sync. 3. Select the applications you want to synchronise. You can synchronise data (Google messages, To exclude applications from automatic calendar, and contacts) with the Google web server synchronisation, clear the check box next to the and back up or restore your data.
Calls communication Learn to make or answer calls and use call functions. When you put your device close to your ear Learn basics to make and answer calls, and to send during a call, your device automatically locks and receive many types of messages over cellular the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs.
Answer a call View and dial missed calls 1. When a call comes in, press [ Your device will display calls you have missed on the display. To dial the number of a missed call, If the supplied headset is connected to your device, you can press the headset button.
4. Enter the complete number you want to dial Dial a second call (country code, area code, and phone number), If your network supports this function, you can dial and then press [ ] to dial. another number during a call: ] →...
Make a multiparty call (conference call) Text and multimedia messages 1. Call the first party you want to add to the Use the messaging functions. For instructions on multiparty call. entering text, see "Enter text." p. 28 2. While connected to the first party, call the Send a text message second party.
Send a multimedia message View text or multimedia messages 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Messaging → New message. and select Messaging. 2. Select the recipient field. 2.
• This Google Mail menu may be labelled Organise email by labels differently depending on your service You can organise your email by labelling your provider. messages or adding stars to mark important • When you launch Google Mail for the first messages.
Filter messages Email messages ] → View 1. From the Inbox screen, press [ Learn to send or view email messages via your labels. personal or company email account. 2. Select the label of the messages you want to Set up a POP3 or IMAP account view.
View email messages Send an email message When you open an email account, you can view 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Email → an email account. previously retrieved emails offline or connect to the email server to view new messages.
Delete an email account 2. Select a friend from the Friends list. The chat screen opens. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 3. Enter your message and select Send. and select Email. ] → More → To insert emoticons, press [ ] →...
Supported file formats media Your device supports the following file formats: File type Extension Audio .arm, .mp3, .mid, .ogg, .wav, .imy, .ota, .rtttl Learn to use the media applications on your device: Video .3gp, .mp4 Music, Videos, Camera, Gallery, and YouTube. Image .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png File type...
Music Play music files 1. From the Home screen, open the application list Learn how to listen to music via the music player. and select Music. 2. Select a category → a music file. Add music files to your device Start by adding files to your device or memory card: 3.
1. From the Home screen, open the application list Icon/Key Function and select Music. Progress Move your finger on the progress bar 2. Select a category → a music file. to play a specific point in the file → 3. Press [ Party shuffle.
4. Press the Camera key or select to take a Customise camera settings photo. The photo is saved automatically. 1. Press and hold the Camera key to turn on the After capturing photos, select the thumbnail at the camera. top left of the screen to view the photos. ] →...
2. Select a video folder → a video file. Open an image Videos you have captured are saved in Camera 1. From the Home screen, open the application list videos. and select Gallery. 3. Rotate the device anti-clockwise to landscape 2.
• Avoid locking the device’s screen while Share images or videos playing a DivX Video on-demand. Each time 1. From the Home screen, open the application list you lock the screen while playing a DivX and select Gallery. Video on-demand, one of your available rental counts will be decremented.
3. Rotate the device anti-clockwise to landscape 4. Select a share option from Google Mail and view. Messaging (MMS). A new message composer opens with the link to 4. Control playback using the following icons and the video. keys: Icon/Key Function Java ME applications Pause or resume playback...
Launch a Java application • Background running: Set whether or not Java can run in the background while you use 1. From the Home screen, open the application list other applications. and select Java ME Apps. • No default MIDlet: Set the default MIDlet to 2.
Contacts personal Learn to use contact cards and groups to store personal information, such as names, phone numbers, and addresses. productivity Create a contact To create a contact from the dialler screen, Learn to manage contacts and schedule calendar 1. From the Home screen, press [ ] to display a events.
To create a contact from the contact list, 4. After completing contact information, select Done. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Contacts. Find a contact ] → New contact. 2. Press [ 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 3.
Set up a favourite contact list Filter contacts by group You can set contacts as your favourites and manage 1. From the Home screen, open the application list them separately from your regular contacts. Start and select Contacts. with adding contacts to the favourite list. ] →...
Calendar View multiple calendars If you have created Google Calendar on the web Use the calendar to keep track of your monthly, and synchronised to your device, you can select a weekly, daily schedule. calendar to display on your device. Also, you can view scheduled events in Google Calendar.
3. Complete the fields and adjust the settings for View event reminders your event. If you set a reminder alarm for a calendar event, the In the Calendar field, select a calendar to display icon appears on the status bar. (if you have more than one).
Browser Learn to access and bookmark your favourite web pages. • You may incur additional charges for Learn to connect to the wireless web with the built-in accessing the web and downloading media. web browser. Learn to use Google Search and •...
2. Access a web page: Open multiple pages ] → Bookmarks → a bookmark. • Press [ You can open multiple pages and switch back and ] → Bookmarks, select the Most • Press [ forth between them. visited or History tab, and select a web 1.
Search for text on a web page Copy text from a web page 1. From the Home screen, open the application list You can copy text from a web page and insert it into and select Browser. another application for creating a note, for example. ] →...
Google Search Change the map view 1. From the Home screen, open the application list You can search for information from websites by and select Google Maps. using the Google Search service. The Google Search bar is added to your Home screen by 2.
Find your location Get directions to a specific destination 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Google Maps. and select Google Maps. ] → My Location. ] → Directions. 2.
Bluetooth tools Learn about your device’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for using hands-free features. Your device can connect with Bluetooth Learn how to work with your mobile device’s tools headsets only. and additional applications. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature 1.
2. Select a device from the Bluetooth device list. Allow other Bluetooth devices to locate your device 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, From the Home screen, open the application list and and select OK.
Activate and connect to a WLAN Add a WLAN 1. From the Home screen, open the application list 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings → Wireless controls → and select Settings → Wireless controls → Wi-Fi settings →...
Alarm Clock Delete an alarm 1. From the Home screen, open the application list Learn to set and control alarms for important events. and select Alarm Clock. Set a new alarm 2. Touch and hold an alarm you want to delete. 3.
Calculator Use the calculator to perform basic mathematical calculations. 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Calculator. 2. Enter the numbers and operators using the calculator buttons on the screen. To clear the displayed numbers, select CLEAR. 3.
To access your device settings, settings 1. From the Home screen, open the application list and select Settings. 2. Select a category. Learn about your device settings. Wireless controls Change the settings for wireless network connections. Wi-Fi Turn the WLAN feature on or off. Wi-Fi settings •...
Bluetooth • Use only 2G networks: Set the device to connect only to a 2G network. Turn the Bluetooth wireless feature on or off. • Network operators: Search for available networks and select a network for roaming. Bluetooth settings • Access Point Names: Set up access point •...
• Change PIN2: Change the PIN2. Additional call settings • FDN list: Set up a list of contacts for fixed dialling. • Caller ID: Display your caller ID to other parties for outgoing calls. Voicemail • Call waiting: Allow incoming call alerts when a Change the voice mail number.
Sound & display Phone vibrate Set the device to vibrate to alert you to incoming Change the settings for various sounds on your calls. device and for the display. Notification ringtone Silent mode Select a ringtone to alert you to events, such as Activate the silent mode to mute all sounds.
Audible selection Brightness Set the device to sound when you select an Adjust the brightness of the screen. application or option on the touch screen. Screen timeout SD card notifications Set the length of time the screen stays on when the Set the device to sound when a memory card is device is not in use.
Use wireless networks Use tactile feedback Set the device to use the wireless networking for Set the device to vibrate when you touch and draw checking locations, if supported in an application. the unlock pattern. Enable GPS satellites Set unlock pattern Enable the GPS functionality for checking locations, Set an unlock pattern to unlock the device.
Applications Development • USB debugging: Select to connect your device Change the setting for managing installed to a PC by using a PC data cable. applications. • Stay awake: Set the device’s screen to stay on Unknown sources while charging the battery. •...
Date & time • Vibrate on keypress: Set the device to vibrate when you touch a key. Control the appearance and behaviour of the date, • Sound on keypress: Set the device to sound time, and timezone. when you touch a key. •...
Samsung keyboard • Auto-append: Set the device to automatically add new words you entered to the device. • Input method: Select an input panel type. • Auto-substitution: Set the device to • Language: Select an input language. automatically substitute words when you enter shortcuts for the specific words.
• Sound on keypress: Set the device to sound About phone when you touch a key. Access information about your device, check the • Auto-capitalization: Set the device to device’s status, and learn how to use your device. automatically capitalise the first letter after a final punctuation mark, such as a period, question If you want to use Samsung New PC Studio, mark, or exclamation mark.
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile device, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. When you turn on your device or while you are Code Try this to solve the problem: using the device, it prompts you to enter one of Your SIM or USIM card is blocked, the following codes: usually as a result of entering your PIN...
The device prompts you to insert the SIM card. Your display shows white lines Ensure that the SIM or USIM card is installed The display may show white lines if you have turned correctly. the device on after a long period of disuse or if you removed the battery without first turning off the Your device does not show a signal (no bars device.
Another caller cannot hear you speaking The battery does not charge properly or sometimes your device turns itself off while • Ensure that you are not blocking the built-in charging microphone. • Disconnect the device from the charger, remove • Move the built-in microphone closer to your and reinstall the battery, and try charging again.
Your device prompts you to delete some data • Ensure that the distance between the devices is within a range and that they are not separated by The available memory is low. Move your data to a walls or other obstacles. memory card or delete old items from applications.
Your device freezes or has fatal errors Installed applications may cause errors. In this case, enter Safe mode and then delete the latest applications you have installed. To enter Safe mode, press and hold [ ] until “Safe Mode” will appear while the device is booting.
index alarm clock Bluetooth call forwarding activating, 60 Android market call waiting connecting to other devices, applications calls downloading from Android answering additional calls, 35 visibility setting, 61 Market, 30 answering, 34 calculator downloading from web, 31 dialling additional calls, 35 viewing history, 31 making, 33 calendar...
contacts enter text messages adding, 50 chatting with instant, 41 file formats finding, 51 sending email, 40 fixed dialling numbers (FDN) importing from the SIM card, sending Google mail, 39 sending multimedia, 37 gallery setting up favourites, 52 sending text, 36 Google Mail viewing email, 40 copy and paste...
photos text volume capturing, 44 copy and paste, 29 call volume, 34 playing slideshows, 47 entering, 28 ringtone volume, 27 sharing, 47 messages, 36 web browser viewing, 46 accessing web pages, 55 text messages sending, 36 adding bookmarks, 57 ringtone viewing, 37 downloading files, 31 ringtone volume...
Annex[IV] of Directive 1999/5/EC has been followed with the involvement of the following Notified Body(ies): GSM Mobile Phone : GT-I5700 BABT, Forsysh House, Churchfield Road, to which this declaration relates, is in conformity with the following Walton-on-Thames, standards and/or other normative documents.