Mobile mini note PC MP-XP7210GB/MP-XP3210GB INSTRUCTIONS Thank you for purchasing the JVC MP-XP7210GB/MP-XP3210GB Mobile mini note PC. Before Use Read and follow the instructions of this manual to use your Mobile mini note PC correctly. Always read the "Safety Precautions" and "Operation Notes." Keep this manual and the warranty card for further reference.
The correct function on a public analogue telephone line is confirmed with the listed cautions. Should you have any problem on a specific telephone network, we kindly ask you to inform your JVC Service Centre the nature of the problem and details of which service provider you are using.
CAUTIONS: ● This Mobile mini note PC is designed to be used with the JVC BN-LS11E/LL21E battery packs and, to recharge them or to supply power to the Mobile mini note PC from an AC outlet, use the provided AC Adapter and Power Cord.
CAUTION To reduce the risk of fire, use only No. 26 AWG or larger telecommunication line cord. IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS: 1. Avoid using a telephone (other than a cordless type) during an electrical storm. There may be a remote risk of electric shock from lightning. 2.
About Batteries DANGER! Do not attempt to take the batteries apart, or expose them to flame or excessive heat, as it may cause a fire or explosion. WARNING! Do not allow the battery or its terminals to come in contact with metals, as this can result in a short circuit and possibly start a fire.
CHECKING INVENTORY Before using your Mobile mini note PC (hereinafter Mobile PC), make sure that all of the following system components have been included in the container. If you have found any shortage or problem, contact the sales shop. •Mobile mini note PC •Modem cable (2-meters long) •...
JVC original software accompanied with or pre-installed into the Product (“Software”). The right to use the Software is granted by Victor Company of Japan, Limited (“JVC”) to You only on the condition that You agree to the following Agreement. If You do not agree to the terms of the Agreement, you may not use the Software any more.
8. Termination (1) Should You breach any provision of this Agreement, JVC may terminate this Agreement without giving any notice to You. In this event, JVC may claim against You any damages caused by Your breach. (2) Should this Agreement be terminated, You should immediately destroy the Software including any copy (including erasure from any memory in the Product) and any associated Materials, and then will not possess them.
G.726 Decoder ("Software") on your PC. The right to use the Software is granted by Victor Company of Japan, Limited ("JVC") to You only on the condition that You agree to the following Agreement. If You do not agree to the terms of the Agreement, you may not install the Software any more.
Should You breach any provision of this Agreement, JVC may terminate this Agreement without giving any notice to You. In this event, JVC may claim against You any damages caused by Your breach. Should this Agreement be terminated, You should immediately destroy the Software stored in Your machine (including erasure from any memory in Your PC), and then will not possess such Software.
Turn-OFF ... 20 JVC ORIGINAL SOFTWARE AND SYSTEM APPLICATIONS JVC ORIGINAL SOFTWARE ... 22 Setup of JVC Original Software ... 22 DVC’s USB Drivers ... 23 CC Converter ... 25 STANDARD APPLICATION ... 27 To set Up the Standard Applications Again ...
PARTS AND COMPONENT NAMES Your Mobile PC has the following parts and components. Stick Left button Scroll button Right button Buckle Built-in lithium ion battery pack i-Link connector (MP-XP7210 only) RESET button connectors Headphone output Microphone input Ventilation slots SD card slot PC card slot (On/Off) Key BN-LS11E standard...
SETTING UP When you first use your Mobile PC, always plug the AC power cord into the DC Input connector. The built-in lithium-ion battery pack will be recharged during your PC setup. To avoid data loss due to power failure or any others cause, check the points for battery recharging in Page 16. 1.
3. Open the display panel Buckle 1 Slightly pull up the buckle of the Note PC, and the display panel will be unlocked. 4. Recharge the built-in battery pack by plugging the AC cord into DC Input connector When recharging the built-in battery pack: 1 Plug the AC power cord into the AC adapter.
5. Make sure that the battery pack is fully charged To avoid an interruption of your operation due to power failure, check the battery voltage when you start to use your PC in the field. See "Checking the battery level" (see Page 61) to check the battery voltage level.
TURN-ON Turning (On/Off) Key On Press the (On/Off) key. The PC will turn on and the Windows logo will appear. ¡ Status indicators Stand By lamp HDD access lamp SD access lamp Num Lock lamp Caps Lock lamp Scroll Lock lamp Cautions Disconnect all peripheral devices (such as a telephone or printer) when you press the Off) key first.
Initial Setup of Microsoft Windows When using your PC for first time, you must prepare to use Microsoft Windows. Once you have finished the initial Windows setup, you can use the software and various PC functions. Use the following procedure to initially set up Microsoft Windows. For pointing device and keyboard operations, see Pages 48 to 50.
6. Enter the user name and click [Next]. The "Thank you!" screen will appear. Tips The name you have entered is shown on the "welcome" screen that appears when you turn the PC power switch on after initial Windows setup. To start up Microsoft Windows, click the user name shown on the screen.
Turn-Off Cautions • Always use this procedure to turn off the PC. Otherwise, your PC may fail. 1. Click [start]. The "start" menu will appear. 2. Click [Turn Off computer]. The "Turn off computer" screen will appear. 3. Click [Turn Off]. The PC will be turned off automatically, and Before closing the LCD panel, make sure that TURN-ON...
JVC ORIGINAL SOFTWARE To use the JVC original software, you must set it up in the "Original Software Setup Procedure" given below. You can setup the following software programs. Setup software • CC converter (See Page 25.) • JVC’s DVC (Digital Video Camera) utilities Tips •...
• The driver to be set up depends on the DVC operation mode. • There is no operation problem although the "has not passed Windows Logo testing… " message appears. 1) If "The hardware: JVC DV Camera Storage" message appears:...
1 Click [Continue Anyway]. 2 The driver will be installed automatically. 3 When "Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard" message appears, click [Finish]. 2) If "The hardware: JVC Web Camera" message appears: 1 Click [Continue Anyway]. 2 The driver will be installed automatically.
CC Converter This is a data-band expansion system JVC has developed for audio applications. It reproduces the timbre of the original sound from high-quality and compressed music data as well. The CC converter operates as a system filter so that it takes effect regardless of the playback application.
• If you play back data having a high noise level, the noise may be emphasized. • Users other than the computer administrator (even if they have the Administrator’s authority) may not change the CC converter setup. JVC ORIGINAL SOFTWARE AND SYSTEM APPLICATIONS...
STANDARD APPLICATION Your Mobile PC has the following standard applications. Open the Help menu of each application to check the application usage. If you have any question, contact the nearest support centre listed on Page 82. ¡ Acrobat Reader 5.0 Can display and print out a PDF file.
3. Click an application program you want to uninstall. Click the [Change/Remove] button. 4. When you see a "Are you sure you want to remove ...?" message, click [Yes]. 5. The uninstaller will remove the selected application program. JVC ORIGINAL SOFTWARE AND SYSTEM APPLICATIONS...
TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET You must contract with an Internet service provider. Also, you need to have a telephone line to be connected to the service provider. Contracting with the Internet Service Provider An Internet service provider (an enterprise or an organization that provides the Internet connection and related services) is generally called a "provider."...
Connection of Telephone Line and Modem Setup Your PC has a built-in modem and a cable attached to it. You can enjoy the Internet and e-mail services by simply connecting your PC to the telephone line. 1. Plug the attached modem cable into the Modem jack of your PC until it clicks. Insert the cable connector into the jack in the correct direction.
3. Seting up the modem 1 Click [start] and [Control Panel] in this order. 2 Click [Printers and Other Hardware]. 3 Click [Phone and Modem Options]. 4 When the "Location Information" screen appears, enter a city code in the "area code" field.
The Internet Connection Setup Use the following procedure to connect your PC to the Internet network. This setup example uses the built-in modem of your PC and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer (IE) for the Internet connection. If you have already contracted with a provider, you can manually set up the Internet connection using the following procedure.
3. Click [Connect to the Internet] option, and click [Next]. The "Getting Ready" screen will appear. 4. Click [Set up my connection manually] option, and click [Next]. The "Internet Connection" screen will appear. 5. Click [Connect using a dial-up modem] option, and click [Next]. The "Connection Name"...
7. Enter the phone number, and click [Next]. The "Internet Account Information" screen will appear. 8. Enter the User name and Password (and enter the password again for confirmation), and click [Next]. The "Completing the New Connection Wizard" screen will appear. 9.
Tips If you need to set up the DNS server address, follow steps 10 to 20. You may need to set up DNS server addresses (the primary and secondary DNS addresses) for some providers. If the DNS server addresses are stated on the documents sent from your provider, you need to set them up.
15. Click [Networking]. 16. Click [Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)] and click [Properties]. The "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" screen will appear. 17. Click [Obtain an IP address automatically], click [Use the following DNS server addresses], and enter the DNS server address printed on the document sent from the provider.
Connecting to the Internet After you have completed the "The Internet Connection Setup" procedure (pages 33 to 37), you can connect to the Internet. Use the following procedure. 1. Click [start] and click [Internet] at the upper left part of the Menu. The Internet Explorer will start up and the "Dial-up Connection"...
Disconnection from the Internet When you are connected to the Internet, the use of the telephone line and the access to the provider are charged. Disconnect your PC from the Internet in one of the following ways when you are finished using the Internet.
Accessing a Web Page There is a large number of Web sites available. You can access a Web site using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer in your PC. The following shows three typical ways you can use to access a Web site. Before starting the following steps, connect your PC to the Internet using the "Connecting to the Internet"...
E-MAILING You need to set up a mailing software to send and receive E-mails. Setting up E-Mail Software Set up the E-mail transmission using the Outlook Express installed on your PC. Tips It is convenient for E-mail setup if you have the document sent from the provider to hand. 1.
3. Enter your E-mail address in the "E-mail address" field, and click [Next]. The "E-mail Server Name" screen will appear. 4. Enter the "Incoming mail server" and "Outgoing mail server", and click [Next]. Usually select "POP3" as the "My incoming mail server is a can change it if necessary.
5. Enter the "Account name" and "Password," and click [Next]. The "Congratulations" screen will appear. 6. Click [Finish]. The "Congratulations" screen will close, and Outlook Express will start up. The setup for the E-mail software is complete. 7. To quit Outlook Express, click [x] at the upper right corner of the screen.
Sending and Receiving E-mails You can create and send E-mail messages, and receive and read E-mail from others. You can learn procedures to enjoy E-mailing. Use Outlook Express installed on your PC for E-mail transmission. Connect to the provider. Create 1.
3. Create a message. Enter the E-mail address Enter the message title Enter the message text here Destination: Enter the receiver's E-mail address. (Enter your E-mail address first to test E-mail transmission.) Title: Enter the message title. 4. Click [Send] at the left upper end of the screen to send the created message. The "Dial-up Connection"...
7. To check the received messages, click [Inbox] on the screen. The received E-mail messages will be displayed. 8. To quit Outlook Express, click [x] at the upper right corner of the screen. Caution Disconnect your PC from the Internet after you have transmitted E-mail and finished accessing a Web site.
Using the Pointing Device The pointing devices allow you to move the mouse pointer on the screen. You can move the cursor using the centre stick and three buttons in the similar way as the mouse. ¡ Stick operations Usually operate the stick using your index finger. The mouse pointer moves in the direction you press the stick.
• Double-click Press the mouse left button twice in succession and release it immediately. • Drag Use this operation to move an icon or a file. To do so, select an icon or a file, hold down the mouse left button and move it to the desired position, and release the mouse button. Notes The pointing devices have initially been set for the "right-handed person"...
Using Hot keys You can use the coloured hot keys of the PC keyboard. Hold down the Fn key and press one of the Hot keys to execute its command. List of hot keys Reduces the screen brightness level. Use this command to reduce the brightness level if the screen is too bright.
Product Specifications on Page 84. You can reduce the application startup time and increase the data process speed by adding an optional memory board. Consult the JVC PC Technical Support Centre listed at the end of this manual for memory expansion.
Adding or Removing a Memory Board If you have operated your PC, its inside may be hot and you may get a burn. Turn the power switch off and wait for the PC to cool down. 1. Turn the PC Power switch off, and disconnect AC adapter from your PC. Then, remove the standard lithium ion battery pack (if any) and all other peripherals from your PC.
1) Mounting a memory board 1 Check the correct mounting direction of memory board (by observing the cut area). 2 Slant the memory board and insert it into its socket. 3 Push the memory board until it is locked, but do not apply excessive force to it. Cautions If it is difficult to lock the memory board, make sure that the board has been inserted securely.
Checking the Additional Memory Board Use the following procedure to check the memory board installation. 1. Turn on your PC and start Windows. 2. Click [start] and select [Control Panel]. 3. Click the [Performance and Maintenance] icon. 4. Click the [System] icon. The "System Properties"...
Using the SD Memory Card Slot Your PC has an SD memory card slot. An SD memory card or multimedia card can be used. When you use an SD memory card, remove the dummy card from the SD memory card slot. 1.
Using an External Display Unit To attach an external display unit to your PC, use the JVC MP-VGX1E external display cable. Connecting an external monitor When you connect an external monitor to your PC, it looks like an ordinary desktop PC. You can use the monitor by connecting it using the MP-VGX1E cable only.
Connecting to a network With the network function, you can connect to a network at your office or home to transfer data between PCs and access the Internet from multiple PCs. For setting for intranet connection, consult a system administrator at your company. Connection to a network requires the following items.
4 Double-click [Local Area Connection]. The “Local Area Connection Status” screen will appear. 5 Click the [Properties] button. The “Local Area Connection Properties” screen will appear. 6 On the [General] tab, double-click [Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)]. The “Properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” screen will appear. 7 Enter appropriate values in the [Use the following IP address] and [Use the following DNS server addresses] fields.
8 Click the [OK] button. A message prompting you to restart the computer will appear. 9 Click the [OK] button to make the change take effect. 0 Restart the computer. ¡Checking the MAC address Use the following procedure to check the MAC address of the internal LAN card. Important To check the MAC address, you have to set a LAN (local area) connection in the [Network connection] screen.
5 Double-click [Local Area Connection]. The “Local Area Connection Status” screen will appear. 6 Click the [Support] tab and the [Details] button. The “Network Connection Details” screen will appear. 7 The MAC address is displayed as the “Physical Address” on the list. HARDWARE...
Checking the battery level On the “Power Option Properties” screen, click the [Power Meter] tab. The current total battery level is displayed. Use the following procedure. 1. Click the [start] button and [Control Panel]. 2. Click the [Performance and Maintenance] icon. 3.
Power-saving mode In compliance with the operation regulations of the International Energy Star Program, this unit enters the power-saving mode when no operation is performed for a certain period. On the [Power Schemes] tab in the “Power Option Properties” screen (page 61), you can specify the time that must expire before the unit enters the power-saving mode.
• System in standby status The built-in battery discharges whilst the PC is in system standby status. As a result, any unsaved data may be lost or the system may not start up. Be sure to turn off the PC when it is not used for a long time.
Unknown partition on hard disk This PC reserves the image data required for recovery as a “recovery area” in the hard disk. If you accidentally delete a partition of the recovery area, you cannot recover it. The important points to keep in mind are: •...
Setting Up Your PC Again Before starting Repeated PC Setup 1. What is the Recovery? When you return your PC to the original state during shipment, it is called "PC recovery." You can recover your PC in one of the following two ways. (1) Initialize the hard disk and restore all files.
System Recovery Procedure 1. Hold down the Alt and F8 keys and press the Power button to start up your PC. When message "Do you wish to continue? (Y/N)" appears, respond with Y. Tips If you respond with N, the recovery is canceled. The PC will restart and the Windows OS will start up.
COMPUTER WIEDERHERSTELLUNG (RECOVERY) 5. After the system recovery has been completed, the message "Turn Power switch off and restart the PC." appears. Restart your PC. Your PC has been returned to the original state before shipment. 6. Set up the Windows OS by following the "Initial Setup of Windows OS " procedure on Page 18.
Q&A section. If the Q&A does not help you Contact us. If you cannot remove the trouble successfully, contact the JVC PC Technical Support Centre. See the back cover for the phone number. Power The power does not turn on.
Startup and Operation of Windows The screen has hung. Use the following procedure to forcibly exit the applications running on your PC. Important When applications are forcibly terminated through this procedure, any unsaved unsaved data will be lost. Terminating an application forcibly 1.
Use the following procedure to start up your PC in the safe mode. 1. Turn on the PC. 2. As soon as the JVC logo appears, hold down the [F8] key. Tips If the [F8] key is pressed too late, Windows tries to make a normal startup.
Display The PC is turned on but nothing appears on the screen. If the screen blacks out during operation, check the following. ¡ When the (Stand By) lamp is lit. • Move the stick or press any key on the keyboard to check if the power-saving function is working.
Using the Internet I cannot dial up. Check the connection. ¡ Check that the modem cable is connected. If you see the “There was no dial tone.” message, check the connection between the unit and the telephone line connector on the wall. Insert the modem fully until it is locked. ¡...
The PC dials but connection is not established. Check the dialing setting. ¡ Check that the dialing type (tone or pulse) is correctly set for your telephone line. For checking and configuration procedures, see “3. Setting up the modem” on page 32. ¡...
The way to solve this problem is to select a setting other than “Max Battery” or “presentation”. (ex. “Portable/Laptop”) The PC cannot send or receive e-mail messages. If you are using the Outlook Express software, check the e-mail software settings.
Battery The battery is not charged. Check the following. ¡ When the built-in battery cannot be charged This PC is shipped with a short-circuiting pin on the standard lithium ion battery pack terminal. Be sure to remove the pin before use. For removal, see “Mounting/Dismounting the Lithium Ion Battery Pack”...
Miscellaneous The PC is hot. The PC may become warm when used for a long time, but this is not a failure. Do not block the vents in the bottom or sides through which internal heat is removed. The PC makes no sound. Check the following ¡...
¡ If you forget the BIOS password The following passwords can be set on the BIOS. • User password When this password is set, the user is requested to enter the password to start Windows or change a BIOS setting. •...
APPENDIX List of Support Centres 1. Acrobat Reader http://www.adobe.com/support/readguide.html 2. Pixela ImageMixer http://www.imagemixer.com 3. Norton AntiVirus 2002 http://www.symantec.com/region/reg-eu/techsupp/index.html 4. Real Player http://www.service.real.com...
Trademark notice 1. i.LINK refers to IEEE1394-1995 and their expanded specifications. i.LINK and the i.LINK logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation, devised to make people more familiar with IEEE 1394. 2. Microsoft, Windows, Windows Media are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S.
However, black points or bright points may appear constantly on the LCD screen. In addition, change in temperature may result in mottled colors. This is due to the LCD-specific structure, not a malfunction. MP-XP3210GB Windows XP Professional Mobile Intel Celeron...
Options (separately available) Option name CD-ROM drive *1 Standard lithium ion battery pack *2 Large-capacity lithium ion battery pack *3 Battery charger *4 AC adapter *2 External display cable Connected with a PC card and powered from the InterLink unit. Maximum read speed is 16x.
The built-in V.90 modem is installed for use on official analog telephone lines in Germany, UK, Austria, France and Switzerland. 2002 VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED Printed in Taiwan 0802HNY OZASS...