Lens for Digital Single Lens Reﬂ ex
Camera/Objectif pour appareil
photo numérique reﬂ ex à objectifs
Operating Instructions/Mode d'emploi
DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6
©2009 Sony Corporation
Printed in Thailand
This lens is designed for Sony α mount cameras (models equipped with an
APS-C sized image sensor). You cannot use on 35mm-format cameras.
To reduce ﬁ re or shock hazard, do not expose the unit to rain or moisture.
Do not directly look at the sun through this lens.
Doing so might harm your eyes or cause loss of eyesight.
Keep the lens out of reach of small children.
There is danger of accident or injury.
For the customers in the U.S.A.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to
the following two conditions:
(1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must
accept any interference received, including interference that may cause
You are cautioned that any changes or modiﬁ cations not expressly approved
in this manual could void your authority to operate this equipment.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a
Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits
are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference
in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate
radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the
instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular
installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or
television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off
and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or
more of the following measures:
– Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
– Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
– Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the
receiver is connected.
– Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
For the customers in Canada
This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
For the customers in Europe
Disposal of Old Electrical & Electronic Equipment
(Applicable in the European Union and other
European countries with separate collection
This symbol on the product or on its packaging indicates that
this product shall not be treated as household waste. Instead it
shall be handed over to the applicable collection point for the
recycling of electrical and electronic equipment. By ensuring this product is
disposed of correctly, you will help prevent potential negative consequences
for the environment and human health, which could otherwise be caused
by inappropriate waste handling of this product. The recycling of materials
will help to conserve natural resources. For more detailed information
about recycling of this product, please contact your local Civic Ofﬁ ce, your
household waste disposal service or the shop where you purchased the
Notice for the customers in the countries
applying EU Directives
The manufacturer of this product is Sony Corporation, 1-7-1 Konan Minato-
ku Tokyo, 108-0075 Japan. The Authorized Representative for EMC and
product safety is Sony Deutschland GmbH, Hedelﬁ nger Strasse 61, 70327
Stuttgart, Germany. For any service or guarantee matters please refer to the
addresses given in separate service or guarantee documents.
Notes on use
• Do not leave the lens in direct sunlight. If sunlight is focused onto a nearby
object, it may cause a ﬁ re. If circumstances necessitate leaving the lens in direct
sunlight, be sure to attach the lens cap.
• Be careful not to subject the lens to mechanical shock while attaching it.
• Always place the lens caps on the lens when storing.
• Do not keep the lens in a very humid place for a long period of time to prevent
• After attaching the lens, do not carry the camera by holding the lens.
• Do not touch the lens contacts. If dirt, etc., gets on the lens contacts, it may
interfere or prevent the sending and receiving of signals between the lens and the
camera, resulting in operational malfunction.
Precaution for ﬂ ash use
With certain of lens/ﬂ ash combinations, the lens may partially block the light
of the ﬂ ash, resulting in a shadow at the bottom of the picture. When using a
built-in camera ﬂ ash, make sure to remove the lens hood and shoot from at
least 1m (3.3 feet) away from your subject.
When you use lens, the corners of the screen become darker than the center.
To reduce this phenomena (called vignetting), close the aperture by 1 to 2
If your lens is brought directly from a cold place to a warm place,
condensation may appear on the lens. To avoid this, place the lens in a plastic
bag or something similar. When the air temperature inside the bag reaches
the surrounding temperature, take the lens out.
Cleaning the lens
• Do not touch the surface of the lens directly.
• If the lens gets dirty, brush off dust with a lens blower and wipe with a soft,
clean cloth (Cleaning Cloth KK-CA (optional) is recommended).
• Do not use any organic solvent, such as thinner or benzine, to clean the lens or
the camera cone.
The values for equivalent 35mm-format focal length and angle of view are based on Digital Single Lens Reﬂ ex Cameras equipped with an APS-C sized image sensor.
Minimum focus is the shortest distance from the image sensor to the subject.
• This lens is equipped with a distance encoder. The distance encoder allows more accurate measurement (ADI) by using a ﬂ ash for ADI.
• Depending on the lens mechanism, the focal length may change with any change of the shooting distance. The focal length assumes the lens is focused at inﬁ nity.
Included items: Lens (1), Front lens cap (1), Rear lens cap (1), Lens hood (1), Set of printed documentation
Designs and speciﬁ cations are subject to change without notice.
is a trademark of Sony Corporation.
Names of parts
1...Zooming ring 2...Focal-length index 3...Lens contacts 4...Mounting
index 5...Focal-length scale 6...Focusing ring
Attaching/detaching the lens
To attach the lens (See illustration –.)
Remove the rear and front lens caps and the camera body
• You can attach/detach the front lens cap in two ways, (1) and (2). When you
attach/detach the lens cap with the lens hood attached, use method (2).
Align the orange index on the lens barrel with the orange
index on the camera (mounting index), then insert the lens
into the camera mount and rotate it clockwise until it locks.
• Do not press the lens release button on the camera when mounting the lens.
• Do not mount the lens at an angle.
To remove the lens (See illustration –.)
While pressing and holding the lens release button on the
camera, rotate the lens counterclockwise until it stops, then
detach the lens.
Attaching lens hood
It is recommended that you use a lens hood to reduce ﬂ are and ensure
maximum image quality.
Fit the hood into the mount on the end of the lens barrel and
rotate the hood clockwise until it clicks.
• When using a built-in camera ﬂ ash, make sure to remove the lens hood to avoid
blockage of the ﬂ ash light.
• When storing, turn over the lens hood and place it onto the lens backwards.
Rotate the zooming ring to the desired focal length.
When using the auto focus, the camera focuses the lens automatically.
When focusing manually, set your camera to the manual focus and rotate the
focusing ring while looking through the viewﬁ nder. The focus signal in the
viewﬁ nder indicates the current degree of the focus.
• The focusing ring can be rotated slightly past the inﬁ nity to provide accurate
focusing under various operating temperatures. Do not rotate the focusing ring
all the way to the end when focusing manually, even at inﬁ nity. Look through the
viewﬁ nder and set the focus precisely.
diameter × height)
(2 5/8×3 1/8)