Regarding Wireless Performance of LocationFree TV
LocationFree TV offers wireless transmission based on the IEEE802.11 standard, which specifies use of the 2.4 GHz
(802.11b/g) and 5 GHz (802.11a) bands of the radio spectrum. Having dual-bands allows users to select the best quality
transmission mode to avoid interference and weaker signals. SONY is the first company to offer this "dual-band" capability
in a wireless TV.
The range for using LocationFree TV is approximately 50 feet. However, as with all wireless products, actual performance
may vary depending on the user's environment.
Within a user's home, LocationFree TV may be affected by interference from other home products and/or signal attenuation
(weakening) due to proximity of certain products/materials in the home. Please see below for more details.
If the LocationFree monitor is not receiving a clear picture, SONY suggests any one of the following steps:
1. Change the orientation of the monitor (e.g. turn the monitor 180 degrees).
2. Position the base station and/or monitor away from sources of interference.
3. Position the base station and/or monitor away from sources of signal attenuation.
4. Change the wireless channel. Go to <Settings>, <Base station>, <Wireless Channel>. Check the blue colored indicator
for signal strength. If signal strength is poor, move the monitor back towards the base station. When signal strength
becomes strong again, select <Manual>, make sure to choose a channel with a strong signal, and push <Set>.
5. Change the wireless band and channel. As above, go to <Settings>, <Base station>, <Wireless Channel>. If the current
setting is for <Automatic>, change to <Manual> and then switch band and channel by scrolling through available
channels. Using the 5 GHz band provides the best picture quality, but has a more limited range than the 2.4 GHz band;
using the 2.4 GHz band provides greater range and is less susceptible to interference.
Since every home is different, SONY recommends that users experiment with different settings in different locations in the
home to find the optimal placement for the base station and monitor.
Sources of Radio Interference
Any one of the following products may interfere with LocationFree TV wireless transmission. Since there are more products
in the market today that use the 2.4 GHz band, it is more likely that users will experience interference when using this band.
• Other wireless equipment, such as a wireless home router (for the 2.4 GHz band, the 5 GHz band, or Bluetooth wireless
• Cordless phones (2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz bands)
• Microwave Ovens (2.4 GHz band)
• Industrial or Medical Equipment (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands)
Sources of Radio Signal Attenuation
When located between or near the base station and monitor, any one of the following products may weaken the wireless
• Large home appliances, such as washers and dryers, refrigerators, etc.
• Large mirrors
• Wall/Door/Floor construction with metal materials or materials containing metal
Please refer to www.sony.com/locationfree (www.sonystyle.ca/LocationFreeTV for users in Canada) for more information.
© 2004 Sony Corporation
Printed in Japan