2. Ultrasonic motor (USM) for quick and quiet autofocusing. 3. A Canon macro flash makes it easy to take close-up pictures with a flash. The inner focusing mechanism enables AF photography while the macro flash is attached.
a Safety Precautions a Safety Precautions • Do not look at the sun or a bright light source through the lens or camera. Doing so could result in loss of vision. Looking at the sun directly through the lens is especially hazardous. •...
Nomenclature Hood and Macro Ring Lite mount (→ 5, 11) Focus mode switch (→ 4) Distance scale (→ 8) Tripod mounting location (→ 8) Filter mounting thread (→ 10) Contacts (→ 4) Lens mount index (→ 4) Focusing ring (→ 4) Tripod mount adapter groove (→...
1. Mounting and Detaching the Lens See your camera’s instructions for details on mounting and detaching the lens. • After detaching the lens, place the lens with the rear end up to prevent the lens surface and electrical contacts from getting scratched. •...
3. Switching the Focusing Distance Range You can set the focusing distance range to 0.31 m/1.0 ft. to infinity or 0.48 m/1.6 ft. to infinity. By setting the suitable focusing distance range, the actual autofocusing time can be shorter. If you autofocus outside the set focusing distance range, the lens may stop focusing at the start of the focusing range;...
5. Picture Taking Normal Photography The lens can be used as a medium-telephoto lens for normal photography such as portraits. Closeup Photography Close-up photos up to 1x (life-size) magnification are possible. The minimum focusing distance of 31 cm is the distance from the subject to the focal plane.
6. About Exposure Setting the Exposure When taking photographs using TTL metering, no exposure compensation is necessary to meter the light coming through the lens. With TTL metering, AE (autoexposure) is possible at all focusing distances. Just set the desired picture-taking mode, then check the shutter speed and aperture before taking the picture.
7. Infinity Compensation Mark Infinity compensation mark Distance index To compensate for shifting of the infinity focus point that results from changes in temperature. The infinity position at normal temperature is the point at which the vertical line of the L mark is aligned with the distance indicator on the distance scale.
Using the Tripod Mount (Sold separately) Attaching and Detaching the Tripod Mount To attach the tripod mount, follow the illustrated procedure below. To remove the tripod mount, follow the procedure in reverse. Align the tripod mount adapter's index with the lens mount index.
• Filters and the macro flash cannot be used on this lens at the same time. • If you need a polarizing filter, use the Canon Circular Polarizing Filter (58mm). • To adjust the polarizing filter, first remove the lens hood.
Manual focusing is recommended for accurate focusing. 12. Macro Flash (Sold Separately) The Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX or the Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX enables fully automatic macro flash photography up to 1x magnification in E-TTL autoflash mode. • For information on operating the Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX or the Macro Twin Lite MT- 24EX, refer to the individual instruction booklets.
• The EF1.4X II/EF2X II extenders cannot be used with this lens. • Aperture settings are specified on the camera. • All data listed is measured according to Canon standards. • Product specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.