Wireless LAN PC Card
(2.4 GHz/5 GHz IEEE 802.11a/b/g)
Read This First
Lisez-moi en premier
2004 Sony Corporation Printed in Japan
To prevent fire or shock hazard, do not expose the unit to rain or moisture.
The model and serial numbers are located on the back of the unit. Record the serial number in the space provided
below. Refer to them whenever you call upon your Sony dealer regarding this product.
Model No. PCWA-C800S
You are cautioned that any changes or modifications not expressly approved in this document could void your
authority to operate this equipment.
FCC ID: AK8PCWAC800S
Exposure to Radio Frequency Radiation.
The radiated output power of the Wireless LAN PC Card is far below the FCC radio frequency exposure limits.
Nevertheless, the Wireless LAN PC Card shall be used in such a manner that the potential for human contact
during normal operation is minimized.
Only use the product indoors when using it with IEEE 802.11a (5 GHz).
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15
of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a
residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed
and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio or communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does
cause harmful interference to television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on,
the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
– Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
– Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
– Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
– Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Declaration of Conformity
Trade Name: Sony
Model No: PCWA-C800S
Responsible Party: Sony Electronics Inc.
Address: 680 Kinderkamack Road,
Oradell, NJ 07649 USA
This phone number is for FCC-related matters only.
This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules.
Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) This equipment may not cause harmful interference, and
(2) this equipment must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired
• Opening the product, for whatever reason, could lead to damages that are not covered by the warranty.
• Do not use this product on hospital premises. Doing so may cause medical devices to malfunction.
• If using the product near a pacemaker, make sure it is at least 9 inches (22 cm) away from the pacemaker.
• Do not use this product in an aircraft, as doing so could cause the aircraft's equipment to malfunction. Make sure
you remove the equipment from the PC card slot before carrying your computer onto an aircraft.
• Do not apply unnecessary physical strain on the product when it is inserted in your computer as this could
damage the product and/or your computer.
• This equipment is made for use in USA and Canada only.
FCC RF Exposure
Install and connect this product by following descriptions in its Operating Instructions before using it.
This equipment generates and radiates radio frequency energy.
SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) for this device was measured in accordance with
FCC OET Bulletin 65. Supplement C and guidelines established in IEEE C95.1-1991.
In order to comply with FCC RF exposure limits please maintain at least 15 mm (0.59 in) spacing between the user
and the antenna of this device while it is in use.
This product can only be used with desktop computers and laptop (notebook) computers with side mounted
This device cannot be used with other types of host devices, such as PDAs.
Users are not permitted to make changes or modify the system in any way.
Wireless LAN security
Making security settings for the wireless LAN is extremely important. Sony assumes no responsibility for any
security problems that may arise from the use of the wireless LAN.
For customers in Canada
• This class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
• Operation is subject to the following two conditions; (1) this device may not cause interference, and (2) this
device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
• To prevent radio interference to the licensed service, this device is intended to be operated indoors and away
from windows to provide maximum shielding. Equipment (or its transmit antenna) that is installed outdoors is
subject to licensing.
• The term "IC" before the equipment certification number only signifies that Industry Canada technical
specifications were met.
Pour les utilisateurs au Canada
• Cet appareil numérique de la classe B est conforme à la norme NMB-003 du Canada.
• L'utilisation de ce dispositif est autorisée seulement aux conditions suivantes : (1) il ne doit pas produire de
brouillage et (2) l'utilisateur du dispositif doit être prêt à accepter tout brouillage radioélectrique reçu, même si ce
brouillage est susceptible de compromettre le fonctionnement du dispositif.
• Pour empêcher que cet appareil cause du brouillage au service faisant l'objet d'une licence, il doit être utilisé à
l'intérieur et devrait être placé loin des fenêtres afin de fournir un écran de blindage maximal. Si le matériel (ou
son antenne d'émission) est installé à l'extérieur, il doit faire l'objet d'une licence.
• Le terme "IC" avant le muméro d'homologation ne signifie seulement que les normes d'Industrie Canada ont été
About the supplied software
THE SUPPLIED SOFTWARE IS SUPPLIED PURSUANT TO THE APPLICABLE END-USER LICENSE
• Copyright laws prohibit reproducing the software or the software documentation in whole or in part, or renting
the software without the permission of the copyright holder.
• In no event will SONY be liable for any financial damage or loss of profits, including claims made by third
parties, arising out of the use of the software supplied with this product.
• In the event a problem occurs with this software as a result of defective manufacturing, SONY will replace it at
SONY's option or issue a refund; however, SONY bears no other responsibility.
• The software provided with this product cannot be used with equipment other than that which is designated for
• Please note that, due to continued efforts to improve quality, the software specifications may be changed without
Program © 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Sony Corporation,
© 2000-2004 Atheros Communications, Inc., All Rights Reserved
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States of America and/or
MMX and Pentium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation.
All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.
In this document, the
marks are not specified.
• In this document, Microsoft
• In this document, Microsoft
referred to as Windows XP.
• The user interface of the Sony supplied software may differ slightly from that shown in this document.
• This document is written based on the assumption that you are familiar with basic operations of the Windows
operating system. For computer operations, refer the documentation provided with your computer.
, and the Eco Info logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
2000 Professional is referred to as Windows 2000.
XP Professional and Microsoft
XP Home Edition are
The Wireless LAN PC Card (2.4 GHz/5 GHz IEEE 802.11a/b/g) PCWA-C800S is a wireless network PC card that
allows your computer to connect to a wireless network and the Internet. With this card, you can build a wireless
LAN, allowing multiple computers to communicate and exchange data without the need for a physical connection.
The supplied Wireless Panel software lets you easily configure the card for multiple networks. For example, you
can store different settings required for networking at the office and at home or quickly switch between the Access
Point (Infrastructure) Network connection and Peer to Peer (Ad-Hoc) Network connection modes. This greatly
facilitates use of the card in various environments and for a range of applications.
• The network mode can easily be switched using the supplied Wireless Panel software.
• To use the card in Access Point Network connection mode, an IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, or IEEE 802.11g
compliant Wireless LAN Access Point (available separately) is necessary.
Accessing the Internet from various points within your home
(Access Point Network connection mode)
With a separately available access point, you can easily build a wireless network. By connecting an ADSL modem,
cable modem, or ISDN router to the access point, your computer can access the Internet from the living room,
bedroom, or any other convenient location in your home. Equipping multiple computers with Wireless LAN PC
Cards also allows them to exchange files through an access point.
The illustration above gives an example of a system configuration using the Access Point Network connection
mode. Two computers equipped with Wireless LAN PC Cards communicate with the Wireless Broadband Router
PCWA-AR800. The Wireless Broadband Router is connected to the ADSL modem, allowing access to the Internet
through this wireless connection.
Direct communication between computers
(Peer to Peer Network connection mode)
The Peer to Peer Network connection mode enables computers equipped with Wireless LAN PC Cards to
communicate directly. This allows file sharing in locations where a wireless LAN access point is not present.
The Super A/G function cannot be used with the Peer to Peer Network connection mode.
This section describes how to get help and support from Sony, as well as troubleshooting tips for your Wireless
LAN PC Card.
About Sony's Support Options
Sony provides several support options for your Wireless LAN PC Card.
Documentation and Help
Read This First
(this document) contains important information that you should read before using the
Wireless LAN PC Card.
Quick Start Guide
explains how to install the Wireless LAN PC Card PCWA-C800S.
provides solutions to the most common problems users encounter with their
Wireless LAN PC Card.
Wireless Panel Help
is the Help supplied with the Wireless Panel software. Refer to it for instructions
about how to use the software.
The Sony Wireless LAN products support Web site
provides the latest information on wireless LAN
The Sony e-mail support service
answers your questions by e-mail. Just send your question in an
e-mail message and a customer service representative will reply. To send a question to Sony e-mail support, fill
out the e-mail form at
The Sony fax-back service
answers frequently asked questions. You can use this automated service
to request a list of available topics, and then select the topics that you want to receive. To contact the Sony fax-
back service, call 1-877-760-7669.
The Sony Customer Information Services Center
offers information about your Wireless
LAN products and other Sony products that work with your computer. To contact the Sony Customer
Information Services Center, call 1-877-760-7669.
Open 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
Printed on 100% recycled paper using VOC (Volatile Organic Compound)-free vegetable oil
Continued on next page