The TPU-2000R unit comes enclosed in a metal case. Follow the instructions and diagrams in this section to
install the TPU-2000R.
Receipt of the TPU-2000R
When you receive the TPU-2000R, examine it carefully for shipping damage. If any damage or loss is evident, file a
claim at once with the shipping agent and promptly notify the nearest ABB sales office.
Before installing the unit, it is suggested that the following procedures be performed:
On units equipped with an MMI
• Power up the relay. The LEDs should light and a slight clicking sound will be heard.
• Using the arrow keys, go to the Main Menu, scroll to Settings, press <E>, scroll to Unit Information, press <E>. Verify
unit information against front panel nameplate.
• Press <C> to return to the Settings menu, scroll to Show Settings, press <E>. Check default settings against the tables
supplied in this manual.
• After checking the default settings, press <C> twice to return to the Main menu. Scroll to Test and press <E>, at the
Self Test selection, press <E>. The unit will self test.
• After performing the self test, press <C> twice to return to the Main menu. Scroll to Settings and press <E>, in the
Settings menu, scroll to Change Settings and press <E>. In the Change Settings menu, scroll to Clock, and set the
• At this point, the internal battery is now in use. If the unit is not going into service for an extended period, set the day
of the month to zero (0) and the battery will not be in use. The battery will remain unused until the clock is set to a
• Press <E> to enter the correct time and return to the Change Settings menu.
• Set the PASSWORD by scrolling to Configuration and press <E>. At the Password prompt, press <E> again. Once
in the Change Confi Sett menu, scroll to Relay Password and enter a password. This will be the main password for
entry to the unit. Press <E> to enter the password and return to the Change Confi Sett menu. Scroll to Test Password,
and enter a different password. This password allows low level entry to the Test options of the unit.
If the password entered in the Relay Password section is lost or forgotten, the unit cannot be
accessed. If this situation occurs, contact ABB Allentown immediately.
On units not equipped with an MMI, connect a PC to the RS-232 port on the front of the unit and use the ECP
(External Communication Program) and follow the same process as outlined above.
Installing the TPU-2000R
The TPU-2000R is enclosed in a standard 3U (3 unit high rack), 19 x 5-inch case designed for rack mounting. Figure
4-2 shows the dimensions of the TPU-2000R. A kit for panel mounting can be ordered separately. See section 13 for
Relay Design and Specifications
ABB Transformer Protection Unit 2000R