2002.3.22 2:06 PM
Minolta Co., Ltd.
3-13, 2-Chome, Azuchi-Machi, Chuo-Ku, Osaka 541-8556, Japan
Minolta Europe GmbH
Minoltaring 11, D-30855 Langenhagen, Germany
Senator-Helmken-Strasse 1, D-28197 Bremen, Germany
Minolta France S.A.
365 Route de Saint-Germain, F-78420 Carrieres-Sur-Seine, France
Minolta (UK) Limited
7 Tanners Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5BU, England
Minolta Austria Ges. m.b.H.
Amalienstrasse 59-61, A-1131 Wien, Austria
Minolta Camera Benelux B.V.
Zonnebaan 39, P.O. Box 6000, NL-3600 HA Maarssen, The Netherlands
Prins Boudewijnlaan 1, B-2550 Kontich, Belgium
Minolta (Schweiz) AG
Riedstrasse 6, CH-8953 Dietikon, Switzerland
Minolta Svenska AB
Albygatan 114, S-171 54 Solna, Sweden
Niittykatu 6 PL 37, SF-02201 Espoo, Finland
Minolta Portugal Limitada
Av. do Brasil 33-A, P-1700 Lisboa, Portugal
101 Williams Drive, Ramsey, New Jersey 07446, U.S.A.
Los Angeles Branch
11150 Hope Street Cypress, CA 90630, U.S.A.
Minolta Canada Inc.
369 Britannia Road East, Mississauga, Ontario L4Z 2H5, Canada
230-3771 Jacombs Road, Richmond, B.C. V6V 2L9, Canada
Minolta Hong Kong Limited
Room 208, 2/F, Eastern Center, 1065 King's Road, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong
Minolta Singapore (Pte) Ltd.
10, Teban Gardens Crescent, Singapore 608923
E INSTRUCTION MANUAL
Shanghai Minolta Optical
Products Co., Ltd.
368 Minolta Road, Songjiang, Shanghai, China
Printed in China
© 2002 Minolta Co., Ltd. under the Berne Convention and Universal
Thank you for purchasing this Minolta camera. Before using your new
camera, please take the time to read through this instruction manual. It
NAMES OF PARTS
contains important information on the proper use and care of the cam-
*Keep these surfaces clean. Please read the care
and storage section in this manual.
FOR PROPER AND SAFE USE
1. Remote-control receiver*
(Quartz-date model only)
Read and understand all warnings and cautions before using this
2. AF windows*
3. Meter window*
4. Viewfinder window*
5. Red-eye reduction/
Using batteries improperly can cause them to leak harmful solutions,
overheat, or explode which may damage property or cause personal
injury. Do not ignore the following warnings.
7. Tripod socket
• Only use the batteries specified in this instruction manual.
• Do not install the batteries with the polarity (+/–) reversed.
• Do not use batteries which show wear or damage.
9. Battery-chamber door
• Do not expose batteries to fire, high temperatures, water, or
10. Strap eyelets
• Do not attempt to recharge, short, or disassemble batteries.
11. Data panel
• Do not store batteries near or in metallic products.
• Do not mix batteries of different types, brands, or ages.
12. Mode button
• Do not use leaking batteries. If fluid from the batteries enters your
13. Main switch
eye, immediately rinse the eye with plenty of fresh water and
14. Shutter-release button
contact a doctor. If fluid from the batteries makes contact with your
15. Manual-rewind button
skin or clothing, wash the area thoroughly with water.
16. Zoom lever
• Tape over battery contacts to avoid short-circuiting during disposal;
always follow local regulations for battery disposal.
17. Film window
• Do not disassemble this product. Electric shock may cause injury if
19. Indicator lamp
a high voltage circuit inside the product is touched.
20. Data back
• Immediately remove the batteries and discontinue use if the
(Quartz-date model only)
camera is dropped or subjected to an impact in which the interior,
especially the flash unit, is exposed. The flash has a high voltage
21. Back cover
circuit which may cause an electric shock resulting in injury. The
22. Back-cover release
continued use of a damaged product or part may cause injuries.
• Keep batteries or small parts that could be swallowed away from
infants. Contact a doctor immediately if an object is swallowed.
23. Low-battery indicator
• Store this product out of reach of children. Be careful when around
24. Frame counter
children, not to harm them with the product or parts.
25. Mode indicators:
• Do not fire the flash directly into the eyes. It may damage eyesight.
• Do not fire the flash at vehicle operators. It may cause a distraction
or temporary blindness which may lead to an accident.
• Do not look directly at the sun or strong light sources through the
appears on the quartz-date model only)
viewfinder. It may damage your eyesight or cause blindness.
• Do not expose this product to liquids or operate this product with
wet hands. If liquid enters the product, immediately remove the
batteries and discontinue use. The continued use of a product
exposed to liquids may cause damage or injury through fire or
• Do not use the product near inflammable gases or liquids such as
26. Indicator lamp
gasoline, benzine, or paint thinner. Do not use inflammable
products such as alcohol, benzine, or paint thinner to clean the
Steady: focus confirmed
product. The use of inflammable cleaners and solvents may cause
Blinks quickly: subject too close
an explosion or fire.
Blinks slowly: flash charging
• If the product emits a strange odor, heat, or smoke, discontinue
• The indicator lamp lights when the shutter-
use. Immediately remove the batteries taking care not to burn
release button pressed partway down.
yourself, as batteries become hot with use. The continued use of a
27. Focus frame
damaged product or part may cause injuries.
• Take the product to a Minolta Service Facility when repairs are
• Do not use or store the product in a hot or humid environment such
as the glove compartment or trunk of a car. It may damage the
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following
product and batteries which may result in burns or injuries caused
two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must
by heat, fire, explosion, or leaking battery fluid.
accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
• If batteries are leaking, discontinue use of the product.
Changes or modifications not approved by the party responsible for compliance could void
the user's authority to operate the equipment. This equipment has been tested and found to
• The lens retracts when the camera is turned off or the auto-power-
comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
off function is activated. Touching the lens barrel while it is
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a
retracting may cause injury.
residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency
• Do not fire the flash while it is in contact with people or objects. The
energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful
flash unit discharges a large amount of energy which may cause
interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will
not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to
radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on,
the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following mea-
ATTACHING THE CAMERA STRAP
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
• Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
• Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is
• Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
This Class B digital apparatus meets all requirements of the Canadian Interference-Causing
This mark on your camera certifies that this camera meets the requirements of the EU
(European Union) concerning interference causing equipment regulations. CE stands for
conformité Européenne (European Conformity).