Printed in China
With your PT-1280, you can create labels for any application. Select from the
many frames, character sizes and styles to design beautiful custom labels. In
addition, the variety of tape cartridges available allows you to print labels with
different widths and exciting colours.
Read this manual carefully before starting and keep the manual in a handy
place for future reference.
Declaration of Conformity
BROTHER INDUSTRIES, LTD.
15-1, Naeshiro-cho, Mizuho-ku, Nagoya 487-8561, Japan
declare that the Labelling System PT-1280 conforms with the following normative
EN55022:1998/A1: 2000/A2: 2003 Class B
EN61000-3-3: 1995/A1: 2001
and follows the provisions of the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive 89/336/EEC (as
amended by 91/263/EEC and 92/31/EEC). The optional AC adapter also conforms with
EN 60950 and follows the provisions of the Low Voltage Directive 73/23/EEC.
Issued by: BROTHER INDUSTRIES, LTD.
Personal & Home Company
Development & Production Dept.
Note: Marking is in compliance with EU Directive 2002/96/EC and EN50419.
This equipment is marked with the above recycling symbol. It means that at the end
of the life of the equipment you must dispose of it separately at an appropriate col-
lection point and not place it in the normal domestic unsorted waste stream. This will
benefit the environment for all. (European Union only)
• Use only Brother TZ tapes with this machine. Do not use tapes that do not have
• Do not clean the machine with alcohol or other organic solvents. Only use a soft, dry cloth.
• Do not touch the print head mechanism. Use a soft wipe (e.g. a cotton swab) when
cleaning the print head.
• To avoid injuries, do not touch the edge of the cutter.
• To prevent damage or breakage of the glass, do not press hard on the LCD display.
• Do not put any foreign objects into or heavy objects on the machine.
• Do not leave any rubber or vinyl on the machine for an extended period of time,
otherwise the machine may be stained.
• Do not get the machine wet, such as by touching with wet hands or spilling beverages
on to the machine.
• Do not expose the machine to extremely high temperatures or high humidity. Never
leave it on the dashboard or in the back of your car, near heaters or other hot
appliances. Keep it out of both direct sunlight and rain.
• Avoid using the machine in extremely dusty places.
• Do not pull on the tape being fed from the P-touch, otherwise the tape cassette
may be damaged.
• Do not attempt to cut the tape while printing or feeding since this will damage the tape.
• Do not try to print labels using an empty tape cassette set in the P-touch. Doing so will
damage the print head.
• Remove the batteries and disconnect the AC adapter if you do not intend to use the
machine for an extended period of time. (Note: When power is disconnected for more
than three minutes, all text shown in the display and any text files stored in the
memory will be lost. Language and unit settings will also be cleared.)
• Do not use old and new batteries together or mix alkaline batteries with other type
batteries, or set the positive and negative end in the wrong position. Otherwise the
batteries may have leakage or fracture.
• Use only the suggested AC adapter for this machine to prevent any damage or
Power Supply & Tape Cassettes
Make sure that the power is turned off when replacing batteries or tape cassette.
Open the back cover by pressing in the rough area at the top end of the
If a tape cassette is already
installed, remove it by pulling it
straight up. Also, if batteries are
already installed, remove them.
Tape cutter lever
Insert six new AAA-size alkaline batteries (LR03), making sure that their
poles point in the correct directions. Always replace all six batteries at the
same time using brand new ones.
Insert a tape cassette, making sure that it snaps into place.
End of tape
Tape exit slot
• Make sure that the end of the tape feeds under the tape guides.
• If the ink ribbon is loose, use your finger to wind the toothed wheel in the
direction of the arrow on the cassette.
• Use only Brother TZ tapes with this machine.
Securely close the back cover, making sure that it snaps into place.
After you have installed the tape,
feed the tape (see Feeding)
once and then push in the tape
cutter lever to cut the tape.
When using optional AC adapter (model G1)
Insert the plug on the adapter cord into
the adapter jack on the top end of the
Insert the plug into the nearest standard
For memory back up, when the AC adapter
is unplugged, please use AAA-size alkaline
Keyboard & LCD
(Favourite Label Memory)
• The LCD shows one row of 15 characters; however, the text that
you enter can be up to 80 characters in length.
• Use Cursor key while holding down Shift key to go to beginning/
end of the text.
Start your machine
Supply power by using six AAA batteries or the optional AC adapter, and then
Set the language (Language option differ by distribution)
Choose a language with
• The machine automatically turns off if no key is pressed within 5
• To cancel operations, press
• To initialize the settings, turn off the machine and then while
to turn the machine back on.
See the reverse side for steps of creating labels.
The batteries are weak.
The installed batteries are about to run out.
• There is no text above the cursor when you set Number-
• Invalid character is selected for Numbering.
• Invalid number is selected for Tab Length or Label Length.
• You try to print a text file when there is no data stored in
• The Print key is pressed when no text is entered.
• You try to set Copies, Numbering or Mirror when no text is
• You try to enter a 3rd line by pressing Enter key.
• You try to print a 2 line text when 3.5 mm or 6 mm tape is
You try to print a label when there is no cassette installed.
Tape Cutter lever is used in the middle of printing process.
The maximum number of characters (80 characters) have
already been entered.
Text Too Long!
The text length exceeds the selected label length or the
selected Auto Format setting length.
No Frame OK?
Printing on 3.5 mm tape with invalid Frame setting ON.
to print with no Frame,
What to do when...
The display stays blank
• Check that the batteries are correctly inserted.
after you have turned on
• If the batteries are weak, replace them.
• Check that the suggested adapter is correctly connected.
The machine does not
• Check that the tape cassette has been inserted correctly.
print, or the printed
• If the tape cassette is empty, replace it.
characters are blurred.
The printed characters
• The batteries may be weak. Replace them.
are not formed properly.
The memory has
• The batteries may be weak. Replace them.
cleared on its own.
A blank horizontal line
• There may be some dust on the print head. Remove the
appears through the
tape cassette and use a dry cotton swab to gently wipe the
print head with an up-and-down motion.
• The print head can be cleaned more easily if the optional
print head cleaning cassette (TZ-CL3) is used.
The machine has
• Turn off the machine, and then while holding
"locked up" (i.e., nothing
to turn the machine back on.
happens when a key is
pressed, even though
• Note: The text and formats in the display and all text files
the machine is on).
stored in the memory are erased. Also, the language and
unit settings will be cleared.
160 mm (W) × 151 mm (D) × 60 mm (H)
470 g (without batteries and tape cassette)
Six AAA-size alkaline batteries (LR03) or optional AC
adapter (model G1)
Brother TZ tape (width) :
3.5 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm
(Supplies may differ by distribution.)
See the attached TZ Tape Catalogue.
If the cutter blade becomes blunt after repetitive use and the tape cannot be
cut cleanly, replace with new cutter unit (stock no. TC-5) by obtaining from an
authorized brother dealer.
Contact may differ by country. See the Web site. (http://www.P-touch.com/)