Keyboard & LCD
Power Supply & Tape Cassettes
Make sure that the power is turned off when replacing batteries or tape cassette.
The batteries are weak.
Open the back cover by pressing in the rough area at the top end of the
The installed batteries are about to run out.
If a tape cassette is already
• There is no text above the cursor when you set Number-
installed, remove it by pulling it
• Invalid character is selected for Numbering.
straight up. Also, if batteries are
• Invalid number is selected for Tab Length or Label Length.
already installed, remove them.
• You try to print a text file when there is no data stored in
Printed in China
Tape cutter lever
• The Print key is pressed when no text is entered.
• You try to set Copies, Numbering or Mirror when no text is
• You try to enter a 3rd line by pressing Enter key.
With your PT-1280, you can create labels for any application. Select from the
• You try to print a 2 line text when 3.5 mm or 6 mm tape is
many frames, character sizes and styles to design beautiful custom labels. In
(Favourite Label Memory)
You try to print a label when there is no cassette installed.
addition, the variety of tape cartridges available allows you to print labels with
Tape Cutter lever is used in the middle of printing process.
different widths and exciting colours.
The maximum number of characters (80 characters) have
Read this manual carefully before starting and keep the manual in a handy
Insert six new AAA-size alkaline batteries (LR03), making sure that their
already been entered.
place for future reference.
poles point in the correct directions. Always replace all six batteries at the
Text Too Long!
The text length exceeds the selected label length or the
same time using brand new ones.
selected Auto Format setting length.
Declaration of Conformity
No Frame OK?
Printing on 3.5 mm tape with invalid Frame setting ON.
BROTHER INDUSTRIES, LTD.
15-1, Naeshiro-cho, Mizuho-ku, Nagoya 487-8561, Japan
to print with no Frame,
declare that the Labelling System PT-1280 conforms with the following normative
What to do when...
EN55022:1998/A1: 2000/A2: 2003 Class B
• The LCD shows one row of 15 characters; however, the text that
you enter can be up to 80 characters in length.
EN61000-3-3: 1995/A1: 2001
The display stays blank
• Check that the batteries are correctly inserted.
and follows the provisions of the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive 89/336/EEC (as
• Use Cursor key while holding down Shift key to go to beginning/
after you have turned on
• If the batteries are weak, replace them.
amended by 91/263/EEC and 92/31/EEC). The optional AC adapter also conforms with
end of the text.
EN 60950 and follows the provisions of the Low Voltage Directive 73/23/EEC.
• Check that the suggested adapter is correctly connected.
Issued by: BROTHER INDUSTRIES, LTD.
The machine does not
• Check that the tape cassette has been inserted correctly.
Personal & Home Company
print, or the printed
• If the tape cassette is empty, replace it.
Development & Production Dept.
characters are blurred.
Insert a tape cassette, making sure that it snaps into place.
Start your machine
The printed characters
• The batteries may be weak. Replace them.
are not formed properly.
Supply power by using six AAA batteries or the optional AC adapter, and then
End of tape
The memory has
• The batteries may be weak. Replace them.
cleared on its own.
Set the language (Language option differ by distribution)
A blank horizontal line
• There may be some dust on the print head. Remove the
Note: Marking is in compliance with EU Directive 2002/96/EC and EN50419.
appears through the
tape cassette and use a dry cotton swab to gently wipe the
print head with an up-and-down motion.
This equipment is marked with the above recycling symbol. It means that at the end
• The print head can be cleaned more easily if the optional
of the life of the equipment you must dispose of it separately at an appropriate col-
print head cleaning cassette (TZ-CL3) is used.
lection point and not place it in the normal domestic unsorted waste stream. This will
Choose a language with
The machine has
• Turn off the machine, and then while holding
benefit the environment for all. (European Union only)
"locked up" (i.e., nothing
to turn the machine back on.
• The machine automatically turns off if no key is pressed within 5
happens when a key is
pressed, even though
• Note: The text and formats in the display and all text files
Tape exit slot
the machine is on).
• To cancel operations, press
stored in the memory are erased. Also, the language and
• Make sure that the end of the tape feeds under the tape guides.
unit settings will be cleared.
• Use only Brother TZ tapes with this machine. Do not use tapes that do not have
• To initialize the settings, turn off the machine and then while
• If the ink ribbon is loose, use your finger to wind the toothed wheel in the
to turn the machine back on.
direction of the arrow on the cassette.
• Do not clean the machine with alcohol or other organic solvents. Only use a soft, dry cloth.
• Use only Brother TZ tapes with this machine.
• Do not touch the print head mechanism. Use a soft wipe (e.g. a cotton swab) when
cleaning the print head.
• To avoid injuries, do not touch the edge of the cutter.
Securely close the back cover, making sure that it snaps into place.
• To prevent damage or breakage of the glass, do not press hard on the LCD display.
160 mm (W) × 151 mm (D) × 60 mm (H)
After you have installed the tape,
• Do not put any foreign objects into or heavy objects on the machine.
470 g (without batteries and tape cassette)
feed the tape (see Feeding)
• Do not leave any rubber or vinyl on the machine for an extended period of time,
Six AAA-size alkaline batteries (LR03) or optional AC
once and then push in the tape
otherwise the machine may be stained.
adapter (model G1)
cutter lever to cut the tape.
• Do not get the machine wet, such as by touching with wet hands or spilling beverages
Brother TZ tape (width) :
on to the machine.
3.5 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm, 12 mm
• Do not expose the machine to extremely high temperatures or high humidity. Never
leave it on the dashboard or in the back of your car, near heaters or other hot
(Supplies may differ by distribution.)
appliances. Keep it out of both direct sunlight and rain.
• Avoid using the machine in extremely dusty places.
• Do not pull on the tape being fed from the P-touch, otherwise the tape cassette
may be damaged.
See the attached TZ Tape Catalogue.
• Do not attempt to cut the tape while printing or feeding since this will damage the tape.
• Do not try to print labels using an empty tape cassette set in the P-touch. Doing so will
damage the print head.
When using optional AC adapter (model G1)
• Remove the batteries and disconnect the AC adapter if you do not intend to use the
If the cutter blade becomes blunt after repetitive use and the tape cannot be
Insert the plug on the adapter cord into
machine for an extended period of time. (Note: When power is disconnected for more
the adapter jack on the top end of the
cut cleanly, replace with new cutter unit (stock no. TC-5) by obtaining from an
than three minutes, all text shown in the display and any text files stored in the
authorized brother dealer.
memory will be lost. Language and unit settings will also be cleared.)
Insert the plug into the nearest standard
• Do not use old and new batteries together or mix alkaline batteries with other type
batteries, or set the positive and negative end in the wrong position. Otherwise the
For memory back up, when the AC adapter
batteries may have leakage or fracture.
is unplugged, please use AAA-size alkaline
• Use only the suggested AC adapter for this machine to prevent any damage or
Contact may differ by country. See the Web site. (http://www.P-touch.com/)
See the reverse side for steps of creating labels.