using this manual This user manual has been specially designed to guide you through the functions and features of your mobile phone. To get started quickly, refer to “introducing your mobile phone,” “assembling and preparing your mobile phone,” and “using basic functions.” Instructional icons Before you start, familiarise yourself with the icons you will see in this manual:...
→ Followed by—the order of options or menus you must select to perform a step; for example: In Menu mode, select Messages → Create message (represents Messages, followed by Create message) Square brackets—phone keys; for example: [ ] (represents the Power/ Menu exit key) Copyright information Rights to all technologies and products that...
using basic functions ... 22 Turn your phone on and off ... 22 Use the touch screen ... 23 Access menus ... 24 Use widgets ... 25 Access help information ... 26 Customise your phone ... 27 Use basic call functions ... 30 Send and view messages ...
Upload photos and videos to the web ... 64 Use Java-powered games and applications ... 65 Synchronise data ... 66 Use RSS feeds ... 68 View your current position ... 68 Update the GPS functionality ... 69 Create and view world clocks ... 69 Set and use alarms ...
safety and usage information Comply with the following precautions to avoid dangerous or illegal situations and ensure peak performance of your mobile phone. Safety warnings Keep your phone away from small children and pets Keep your phone and all accessories out of the reach of small children or animals.
Handle and dispose of batteries and chargers with care • Use only Samsung-approved batteries and chargers specifically designed for your phone. Incompatible batteries and chargers can cause serious injuries or damage to your phone.
Do not use the phone if the screen is cracked or broken Broken glass or acrylic could cause injury to your hand and face. Bring the phone to a Samsung service centre to replace the screen. Damage caused by careless handling will void your...
Follow all safety warnings and regulations Comply with any regulations that restrict the use of a mobile phone in a certain area. Use only Samsung-approved accessories Using incompatible accessories may damage your phone or cause injury. Turn off the phone near medical...
Protect batteries and chargers from damage • Avoid exposing batteries to very cold or very hot temperatures (below 0° C/32° F or above 45° C/ 113° F). Extreme temperatures can reduce the charging capacity and life of your batteries. • Prevent batteries from contacting metal objects, as this can create a connection between the + and - terminals of your batteries and lead to temporary or permanent battery damage.
• If your phone has a camera flash or light, avoid using it close to the eyes of children or animals. • Your phone may be damaged by exposure to magnetic fields. Do not use carrying cases or accessories with magnetic closures or allow your phone to come in contact with magnetic fields for extended periods of time.
• Disconnect chargers from power sources when not in use. • Use batteries only for their intended purpose. Handle SIM cards or memory cards with care • Do not remove a card while the phone is transferring or accessing information, as this could result in loss of data and/or damage to the card or phone.
European Radio & Terminal Telecommunications Equipment (R&TTE) directive. For more information about the SAR and related EU standards, visit the Samsung mobile phone website. Correct disposal of this product (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) (Applicable in the European Union and...
Household users should contact either the retailer where they purchased this product, or their local government office, for details of where and how they can take these items for environmentally safe recycling. Business users should contact their supplier and check the terms and conditions of the purchase contract.
Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and services are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Samsung has no control.
• The items supplied with your phone may vary depending on the software and accessories available in your region or offered by your service provider. You can obtain additional accessories from your local Samsung dealer. • The supplied accessories perform best for your phone.
Phone layout The front and inside of your phone include the following keys and features: Front camera lens for video calls Volume key Dial key Mouthpiece The rear of your phone includes the following keys and features: Multifunction jack Memory Earpiece card slot Hold key...
Keys Function Make or answer a call; In Idle mode, Dial retrieve recently dialled, missed, or received numbers In Menu mode, return to the previous Back level Turn the phone on and off (press and Power/ hold); End a call; In Menu mode, Menu exit return to Idle mode Volume...
Icons Learn about the icons that appear on your display. Icon Definition Signal strength GPRS network connected EDGE network connected UMTS network connected HSDPA network connected Voice call in progress Video call in progress SOS message feature activated Browsing the web Icon Definition Connected to secured web page...
assembling and preparing your mobile phone Get started by assembling and setting up your mobile phone for its first use. Install the SIM or USIM card and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will receive a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card with subscription details, such as your personal identification number (PIN) and optional services.
2. Insert the SIM or USIM card. • Place the SIM or USIM card in the phone with the gold-coloured contacts facing up. • Without inserting a SIM or USIM card, you can use your phone’s non-network services and some menus. •...
4. Insert the battery. 5. Replace the battery cover. Charge the battery Before using the phone for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack on the top of the phone. 2. Plug the small end of the travel adapter into the multifunction jack.
3. Plug the large end of the travel adapter into a power outlet. 4. When the battery is fully charged (the no longer moving), unplug the travel adapter from the power outlet. 5. Unplug the travel adapter from the phone. 6.
2. Insert a memory card with the label side facing 3. Push the memory card in the memory card slot until it locks in place. 4. Close the cover to the memory card slot. To remove the memory card, open the cover to the memory card slot, push the memory card gently until it disengages from the phone, and then pull the memory card out of the memory card slot.
using basic functions Learn how to perform basic operations and use the main features of your mobile phone. Turn your phone on and off To turn your phone on, 1. Press and hold [ 2. Enter your PIN and select Confirm (if necessary). To turn your phone off, repeat step 1 above.
Use the touch screen Your phone’s touch screen lets you easily select items or perform functions. Learn basic actions to use the touch screen. • To avoid scratching the touch screen, do not use sharp tools. • Do not allow the touch screen to come in contact with other electrical devices.
• Drag your finger up or down to scroll through vertical lists. • Drag your finger left or right to scroll through horizontal lists. Access menus To access your phone’s menus, 1. In Idle mode, select Menu to access Menu mode.
Customise Menu mode This feature may be unavailable depending on the software of the phone. You can organise applications in the Menu mode screen to match your preferences and needs. 1. In Menu mode, scroll left or right to a Menu mode screen.
Move the widgets to the idle screen 1. In Idle mode, scroll left or right to one of the idle screens. 2. Open the widget toolbar. 3. Drag a widget from the widget toolbar to the idle screen. You can position the widget anywhere on the screen.
Customise your phone Get more from your phone by customising it to match your preferences. Adjust the volume of the key tones In Idle mode, press the Volume key up or down and adjust the key tone volume. Adjust the vibration intensity on the touch screen You can adjust the intensity of the vibration when you touch the phone screen.
Activate Etiquette pause You can temporarily mute the current event sound by placing the phone face down when Etiquette pause is activated. 1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Motion settings → Etiquette pause → On. 2. Select Save. Select a wallpaper (Idle mode) 1.
• The first time you access a menu that requires a password, you will be prompted to create and confirm a password. • Samsung is not responsible for any loss of passwords or private information or other damages caused by illegal software.
Use basic call functions Learn to make or answer calls and use basic call functions. During a call, your phone automatically locks the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs. To unlock, press and hold [ ]. Make a call 1. In Idle mode, select Keypad and enter an area code and a phone number.
Use the headset By plugging the supplied headset into the headset jack, you can make and answer calls: • To redial the last call, press the headset button twice. • To answer a call, press the headset button. • To end a call, press the headset button. Send and view messages Learn to send and view text (SMS), multimedia (MMS), and email messages.
Enter text When entering text, you can change the text input mode: • To switch between ABC and T9 modes, select T9. A green dot appears by T9 in T9 mode. • To change case or switch to number or Symbol mode, select Abc or T9Ab.
View an email 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → Email inbox. 2. Select an account. 3. Select Download. 4. Select an email or a header. 5. If you selected a header, select Retrieve to view the body of the email. Add and find contacts Learn the basics of using the phonebook feature.
Use basic camera functions Learn the basics to capture and view photos and videos. Capture photos 1. In Idle mode, press [ ] to turn on the camera. 2. Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view. 3. Aim the lens at the subject and make any adjustments.
4. Aim the lens at the subject and make any adjustments. • To change the recording mode, select • To select a time delay, select • To set the exposure value, select • To adjust the colour balance, select • To zoom in or out, press the Volume key. 5.
Listen to music files Start by transferring files to your phone or memory card: • Download from the wireless web. • Download from a PC with the optional Samsung Kies. p. 50 • Receive via Bluetooth. • Copy to your memory card.
3. Control playback using the following icons: Icon Function Pause playback Play or resume playback Skip backward; Scan backward in a file (touch and hold) Skip forward; Scan forward in a file (touch and hold) Change the sound effect Activate Shuffle mode Change the repeat mode 1.
4. Select Save. Download media files This feature may be unavailable depending on your region or service provider. 1. In Menu mode, select Samsung Apps or Downloads. 2. Search for a ringtone or picture and download it to the phone.
Connect to Search 1. In Menu mode, select Google → Search. 2. Enter a keyword in the search field. Connect to Mail 1. In Menu mode, select Google → Mail. 2. Set up your Google account and sign in. 3. Send or receive emails. Connect to Maps To search the map, 1.
Connect to Facebook • This feature may be unavailable depending on your region or service provider. • The steps you must select to use this feature may differ depending on your region or service provider. 1. In Menu mode, select Facebook. 2.
using advanced functions Learn how to perform advanced operations and use additional features of your mobile phone. Use advanced call functions Learn about your phone’s additional calling capabilities. View and dial missed calls Your phone will display calls you have missed on the display.
Hold a call or retrieve a held call Select Hold to place a call on hold or select Retrieve to retrieve a held call. Dial a second call If your network supports this function, you can dial another number during a call: 1.
Call an international number 1. In Idle mode, select Keypad and touch and hold 0 to insert the + character. 2. Enter the complete number you want to dial (country code, area code, and phone number), and then press [ ] to dial.
Use advanced phonebook functions Learn to create namecards, set favourite numbers, and create groups of contacts. Create a namecard 1. In Menu mode, select Phonebook → More → My namecard. 2. Enter your personal details. 3. Select Save. You can send your namecard by attaching it to a message or email or transferring it via the Bluetooth wireless feature or ActiveSync.
3. Select Create group. 4. Set a group name, the caller ID photo, a group ringtone, and vibration type. 5. Select Save. 6. Select Yes and add contacts to the group (if necessary). Use advanced messaging functions Learn to create templates, use templates to create new messages, and create message folders, and use the instant messenger.
Create a message from a multimedia template 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → Templates → Multimedia templates. 2. Select next to the template you want. Your template opens as a new multimedia message. Create a folder to manage messages 1.
Use advanced camera functions Learn how to capture photos in various modes and customise camera settings. Capture photos by using options preset for various scenes 1. In Idle mode, press [ ] to turn on the camera. 2. Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view.
Capture panoramic photos 1. In Idle mode, press [ ] to turn on the camera. 2. Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view. → Panorama. 3. Select 4. Make any necessary adjustments. 5. Press [ ] to take the first photo. 6.
Use camera options Before capturing a photo, select following options: Option Function Resolution Change the resolution option Effects Apply a special effect Exposure Select a type of exposure metre metering Image quality Adjust the quality of your photos Before capturing a video, select following options: Option Function...
2. Press [ 3. Using an optional PC data cable, connect the multifunction jack on your phone to a PC. 4. Run Samsung Kies and copy files from the PC to the phone. Refer to the Samsung Kies help for more information.
5. Open the folder to view files. 6. Copy files from the PC to the memory card. Synchronise your phone with Windows Media Player 1. Insert a memory card (if necessary). 2. In Menu mode, select Settings → Phone settings → PC connections → Media player → Save.
8. Select Add → Tracks. 9. Select the files you want to include and select Add. Customise your music player settings 1. In Menu mode, select Music player. 2. Select Settings. 3. Adjust the settings to customise your music player: Option Function Set whether to play music in the...
Store radio stations automatically 1. Plug the supplied headset into the phone’s headset jack. 2. In Menu mode, select FM radio. 3. Select More → Self-tuning. 4. Select Yes to confirm (if necessary). The radio scans and saves available stations automatically.
using tools and applications Learn how to work with your mobile phone’s tools and additional applications. Use the Bluetooth wireless feature Learn about your phone’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for exchanging data and using hands-free features. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature 1.
Find and pair with other Bluetooth- enabled devices 1. In Menu mode, select Bluetooth → Search. 2. Select and drag a device icon into the centre. 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, and select Done.
Use Remote SIM mode In Remote SIM mode, you can make or answer calls only with a connected Bluetooth hands-free car kit via the SIM or USIM card on your phone. To activate Remote SIM mode, 1. In Menu mode, select Bluetooth → More → Settings.
Search for and connect to a WLAN 1. In Menu mode, select Wi-Fi → Search. 2. Select a network icon → Add and add a connection profile. • If the network you want needs an IP address, subnet mask, DNS, or gateway information, select Advanced settings.
Activate and send an SOS message In case of an emergency, you can send an SOS message asking for help. This feature may be unavailable depending on your region or service provider. 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → SOS messages →...
1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Security → Mobile tracker. 2. Enter your password and select Confirm. 3. Select On to turn on the mobile tracker. 4. Select the recipient field to open the recipient list. 5. Select Contacts to open your contact list. 6.
Record a voice 1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Application settings → Call → Fake call → Fake call voice. 2. Select On under Fake call voice. 3. Select Voice recording. 4. Select to start recording. 5. Speak into the microphone. 6.
3. Control playback using the following icons: Icon Function Pause playback Play or resume playback Skip backward; Scan backward in a file (touch and hold) Skip forward; Scan forward in a file (touch and hold) Edit images Learn to edit images and apply fun effects. Apply effects to images 1.
Adjust an image 1. Open an image to be edited. Refer to steps 1-3 in “Apply effects to images.” 2. Select Adjust → an adjustment option (brightness, contrast, or colour). To adjust the image automatically, select Auto level. 3. Adjust the image as desired by using the slider and select OK.
Insert a visual feature 1. Open an image to be edited. Refer to steps 1-3 in “Apply effects to images.” 2. Select the arrow at the bottom right of the screen. 3. Select , or 4. Select a visual feature (image, emoticon, or clip art), or enter text and select Done.
Upload photos and videos to the Learn to post your photos and videos to photo sharing websites and blogs. Communities may be unavailable depending on your region or service provider. Set your favourite destination list 1. In Menu mode, select Communities. 2.
Customise the Communities settings 1. In Menu mode, select Communities. 2. Select Settings. 3. Adjust the settings. Setting Function Upload details View details of your last upload Preferred lists Edit favourite destinations Image resize Change the image size to upload Set your phone to upload files to a Upload destination automatically at the...
Play games 1. In Menu mode, select Games. 2. Select a game from the list and follow the on- screen instructions. Available games may vary depending on your region or service provider. Game controls and options may vary. Launch applications 1.
Synchronise data with a Microsoft Exchange server You may only use the Microsoft ® ActiveSync feature in this phone with a service that is licensed by Microsoft Corporation to use Microsoft ® ActiveSync To set a Microsoft Exchange server and synchronisation profile, 1.
Use RSS feeds Learn to use RSS feeds to get the latest news and information from your favourite websites. Add an RSS feed address 1. In Menu mode, select Internet → RSS feeds. 2. Select Add. 3. Select the address input field. 4.
Update the GPS functionality Learn to enhance the GPS functionality by downloading GPS data files. You can improve the speed and accuracy of positioning capability. In Menu mode, select Settings → Phone settings → GPS settings → GPS+ settings → Download data →...
Add a world clock to your display With the dual clock widget, you can view clocks with two different time zones on your display. After you have created a world clock, 1. In Menu mode, select World clock. → Set as 2nd clock. 2.
Use the calculator 1. In Menu mode, select Calculator. 2. Use the keys that correspond to the calculator display to perform basic mathematical operations. Convert currencies or measurements 1. In Menu mode, select Convertor → a conversion type. 2. Enter the currencies or measurements and units in the appropriate fields.
Create new tasks 1. In Menu mode, select Task. 2. Select Create task. 3. Enter the details of the task and select Save. Create new memos 1. In Menu mode, select Memo. 2. Select Create memo. 3. Enter your memo text and select Done. Manage your calendar Learn to change the calendar view and create events.
View events To view events of a specific date, 1. In Menu mode, select Calendar. 2. Select a date on the calendar. 3. Select an event to view its details. To view events by event types, 1. In Menu mode, select Calendar. 2.
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile phone, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. When you turn on your phone or while you are using the phone, it prompts you to enter one of the following codes: Code Try this to solve the problem: When the phone lock feature is enabled,...
The phone prompts you to insert the SIM card. Ensure that the SIM or USIM card is installed correctly. Your phone displays “Service unavailable” or “Network error.” • When you are in areas with weak signals or poor reception, you may lose reception. Move to another area and try again.
The phone beeps and the battery icon flashes. Your battery is low. Recharge or replace the battery to continue using the phone. The audio quality of the call is poor. • Ensure that you are not blocking the phone’s internal antenna. •...
47 basic capturing, 34 editing, 61 viewing, 34 radio see FM radio ringtone RSS feeds see tools, RSS feeds Samsung Kies silent profile SIM card SOS message stopwatch see tools, stopwatch synchronisation creating a profile, 66 starting, 66...
(place and date of issue) (name and signature of authorised person) * It is not the address of Samsung Service Centre. For the address or the phone number of Samsung Service Centre, see the warranty card or contact the retailer where you purchased your product.
Some of the contents in this manual may differ from your phone depending on the software of the phone or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-27022A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (EU). 11/2010. Rev. 1.4...