Important Safety Instructions
WARNING: TO PREVENT FIRE OR SHOCK HAZARD, DO NOT REMOVE COVER (OR BACK). NO USER-SERVICEABLE
1. Read these instructions.
receptacles, and the point where they exit from
to 2 hours before turning the power on, or gradually heat the room and allow the unit to dry before use.
2. Keep these instructions.
PARTS INSIDE. REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED SERVICE PERSONNEL.
3. Heed all warnings.
11. Only use attachments/accessories specified by
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE.
• Do not block the ventilation openings or holes. If the ventilation openings or holes are blocked by a
4. Follow all instructions.
DO NOT PLACE OBJECTS FILLED WITH LIQUIDS ON OR NEAR THIS UNIT.
5. Do not use this apparatus near water.
12. Use only with a cart, stand,
newspaper or cloth, etc., the heat may not be able to get out.
CAUTION: USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUSTMENTS OR PERFORMANCE OF PROCEDURES OTHER THAN THOSE
6. Clean only with a dry cloth.
t r i p o d , b r a c k e t , o r t a b l e
• Do not operate the unit in a confined space, such as a bookcase or built-in cabinet. Allow about 4 inches
7. Do not block the ventilation openings. Install in
specified by the manufacturer,
SPECIFIED MAY RESULT IN HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
(10cm) of free space all around the unit for adequate ventilation.
accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
or sold with the apparatus.
CAUTION: DANGER OF EXPLOSION IF BATTERY IS INCORRECTLY REPLACED. REPLACE ONLY WITH THE SAME OR
Rating Plate Location
8. Do not install near any heat sources such as
W h e n a c a r t i s u s e d , u s e
radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus
caution when moving the
• The rating plate is located on the bottom of unit.
(including amplifiers) that produce heat.
cart/apparatus combination to
This product contains a
9. Do not defeat the safety purpose of a polarized
avoid injury from tip-over.
low power laser device.
or grounding - type plug. A polarized plug has
13. Unplug this apparatus during lightning storms or
NOTE: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant
two blades with one wider than the other. A
when unused for long periods of time.
to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful
THIS CLASS B DIGITAL APPARATUS COMPLIES WITH CANADIAN ICES-003.
grounding type plug has two blades and a third
14. Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel.
interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy
grounding prong. The wide blade or the third
Servicing is required when the apparatus has
and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio
prong are provided for your safety. If the provided
been damaged in any way, such as the AC power
• Do not use the unit in places that are extremely hot, cold, dusty, or humid.
communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If
plug does not fit into your outlet, consult an
cord or plug is damaged, liquid has spilled
• Place the unit on a flat and even surface.
this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by
electrician for replacement of the obsolete outlet.
or objects have fallen into the apparatus, the
• Do not restrict the air flow of the unit by placing it in a place with poor air flow, by covering it with a cloth,
turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the
10. Protect the power cord from being walked on
apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture,
or by placing it on carpeting.
or pinched particularly at plugs, convenience
does not operate normally, or has been dropped.
• To avoid magnetizing, do not place the unit near speakers or magnets.
– Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
• Do not use this unit in direct sunlight or leave the unit in a closed automobile (or similar environments)
– Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
where it would be exposed to high temperatures above 104°F (40°C).
– Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
• No naked flame sources such as lighted candles should be placed on the AC power adapter or the main unit.
– Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
• The AC/DC adaptor and apparatus should not be exposed to splashing or dripping liquids, and no objects
Warning: Changes or modifications to this unit not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance
filled with liquids, such as vases, should be placed on the AC/DC adaptor and apparatus.
The lightning flash with an arrowhead
could void the user's authority to operate the equipment.
symbol, within the equilateral triangle,
• The apparatus should not be exposed to dripping or splashing and that no objects filled with liquids, such
Notes on Copyright
is intended to aler t the user to the
as vases, should be placed on apparatus.
presence of uninsulated "dangerous
It is forbidden by law to copy, broadcast, show, broadcast on cable, play in public, or rent copyrighted material
voltage" within the product's enclosure that may be
• When connecting or disconnecting the AC power adapter, grip the plug and not the cord itself. Pulling the
of sufficient magnitude to cause an electric shock.
cord may damage it and create a hazard.
Apparatus Claims of U.S. Patent Nos. 6,836,549; 6,381,747; 7,050,698; 6,516,132 and 5,583,936 licensed for limited
T h e e xc l a m a t i o n p o i n t w i t h i n t h e
Markham, Ontario, L3R 1E3
viewing uses only.
• When you are not going to use the unit for a long period of time, disconnect the AC power adapter.
equilateral triangle is intended to alert
This product incorporates copyright protection technology that is protected by U.S. patents and other
the user to the presence of important
intellectual property rights. Use of this copyright protection technology must be authorized by Macrovision, and
operating and maintenance (servicing)
• When left in a heated room where it is warm and damp, water droplets or condensation may form inside the
* SEE BOTTOM OF UNIT FOR GRAPHIC SYMBOLS *
instructions in this owner's manual.
is intended for home and other limited viewing uses only unless otherwise authorized by Macrovision. Reverse
unit. When there is condensation inside the unit, the unit may not function normally. Let the unit stand for 1
Read these instructions before using your new product for the first time.
WARNING: Should any trouble occur, disconnect the AC power adapter and refer servicing to a qualified technician.
engineering or disassembly is prohibited.
E - 1
E - 2
E - 3
Control Reference Guide
The unit can play back
Please check and identify the supplied accessories.
1. VIDEO MODE button
Remote Control (with battery) ...............................................................................................................................................x 1
Region Management Information
Press to go back to the previous title / chapter /
Ad j u s t B r i g ht n e s s,
In Stop Mode, press to display the unit's
AC Power Adapter.......................................................................................................................................................................x 1
Region Management Information: This unit is designed and manufactured to respond to the Region
Pa n e l D i s p l a y a n d
Car Power Adapter......................................................................................................................................................................x 1
Management Information that is encoded on DVDs. If the region number printed on the DVD does not
In DVD Menu or Setup Menu, press to scroll
Contrast of the LCD
9. MENU button
Headphone Splitter ....................................................................................................................................................................x 1
correspond to the region number of this unit, it cannot play that disc.
Enter and exit the main DVD Menu.
The region number of this unit is 1.
Press to scroll up, press and hold to perform
Move back through
Skip to next title, chapter or track on a
fast forward playback during CD playback.
Disc Function or Operation That is Not Available
t i t l e s , c h a p t e r s o r
In DVD Menu, Setup Menu or JPG Menu,
tracks on a disc.
symbol appears on the screen, it indicates the function or operation attempted is not available at that
press o scroll up.
S E A R C H
Stop playing a disc.
time. This occurs because the DVD manufacturer determines the specific functions of DVDs. Certain functions may
not be available on some DVDs. Be sure to read the documentation provided with the DVD.
Using the Remote Control
Press to advance titles / chapters / tracks.
S E A R C H : F a s t
Start or resume playback of a disc.
• Point the remote control at the REMOTE SENSOR located
Icons Used on DVDs
In DVD Menu or Setup Menu, press to scroll
Language selections for audio
on the unit.
S E A R C H : F a s t
Pre s s o n ce to p a u s e p l ay b a c k . Pre s s
• When using this unit in very bright light, the infrared
Language selections for subtitles
before USING the
subsequently to advance frame by frame
REMOTE SENSOR may not work properly.
Press to scroll down, press and hold to
1. LCD screen
4. GOTO button
on a DVD.
Screen aspect ratio
perform fast reverse playback during CD
When playing back a CD-G (Graphics) or CD
2. DC IN 9V - 12V jack
Skip directly to a location on a CD/DVD.
12. DISPLAY button
EXTRA disc, the audio portion will be played,
Multiple camera angles
3. AUDIO / VIDEO OUT jack
5. Cursor ( , , , ) buttons
Show status information on the screen.
In DVD Menu, Setup Menu or JPG Menu, press
but the graphic images will not be shown.
To Change Remote Battery
4. CHARGE / STANDBY / ON switch
Move between selections on a menu screen and adjust
13. ANGLE button
Region code indicator
to scroll down.
5. VOLUME control
Switch between multiple camera angles if
When the batter y becomes weak ,
1. Open the battery door.
2. Insert one CR2025 (3V )
8. Disc Door
Titles, Chapters and Tracks
Adjusts the volume.
applicable to the DVD.
the operating distance of the remote
Push to close the disc door.
6. Headphone jack
• DVDs are divided into "titles" and "chapters". If the disc
Confirm selections on a menu screen.
14. AUDIO button
control will be greatly reduced and you
9. OPEN knob
6. MEMORY button
Select one of the audio sound tracks on
has more than one movie on it, each movie would be a
will need to replace the battery.
Press the open knob to open the disc door.
Press to stop playing a disc.
separate "title". "Chapters" are sections of titles.
Set titles/chapters in a favorite order.
a DVD (if more than one is available) or
10. Remote sensor
7. Number (0 - 9) buttons
select the audio output mode on a CD.
• Audio CDs are divided into "tracks". A "track" is usually
Senses the remote control's signals.
Accesses DVD Disc Menu if DVD disc is currently
Use when creating programs or locating a title/chapter/
15. SUBTITLE button
one song on an Audio CD.
11. ON indicator
Note: If the remote control is not going to be used for a long time, remove the battery.
track or specific time.
Selec t one of the subtitle languages
Note: Numbers identify each title, chapter, and track on a disc. Most discs have these numbers recorded on
12. CHARGING indicator
Accesses Setup menu if disc is not playing.
8. REPEAT A-B button
programmed on a DVD (if available).
Charge the rechargeable battery before
them, but some do not.
WARNING: Do not dispose of the battery in a fire or it may leak and/or explode.
Perform point-to-point repeat playback on a DVD or CD.
using it for the first time. Complete charging
WARNING: Batteries should not be exposed to excessive heat such as sunshine, fire or the like.
Press to start or resume playback of a disc.
Notes on Unauthorized Discs
REPEAT DISC button
Return to normal operation after using the
typically takes approximately 4-5 hours. The
CAUTION: Danger of explosion if battery is incorrectly replaced. Replace only with the same or equivalent type.
Pressing during playback of a disc will cause
You may not be able to play some DVDs on this unit, particularly if they were purchased from outside your
Repeat a DVD chapter or title.
SETUP menu of a DVD.
charging light will go out when the battery
playback to be paused.
geographic area or made for business purposes.
becomes fully charged.
Repeat a CD track or the whole disc.
E - 4
E - 5
E - 6
E - 7
A. Using the AC Power Adapter
A. Connecting a TV
• Use the provided 12V car power adapter only. Use with other car power adapters could damage the unit.
• The built-in battery can only be recharged when the unit is in CHARGE mode while using the AC power
If your TV has audio/video inputs, you can connect the unit to your TV using standard Audio/Video cables.
The supplied AC power
• The 12V car power adapter included with this unit is for its use only. Do not use it with other equipment.
adapter operates on AC
• The built-in battery cannot be recharged when the unit is in ON mode.
To wall outlet
• In the interest of traffic safety, do not operate this unit or view videos while driving a vehicle.
• Do NOT recharge the built-in battery in a vehicle using the car power adapter.
• Make sure the unit is securely fastened to prevent it from falling or flying through the air in the event of an
• Batteries should not be exposed to excessive heat such as sunshine, fire or the like.
AC power adapter
• When the inside of the cigarette lighter socket is dirty with ashes or dust, the plug section may become
To DC IN 9V Jack
hot due to poor contact. Be sure to clean the cigarette lighter socket before use.
• When the built-in battery power is low, "Battery Low" will display on the screen and the unit will stop playing.
White Red Yellow
• After use, disconnect the 12V car power adapter from both the unit and cigarette lighter socket.
• The AC power adapter included with this unit is for its use only. Do not use it with other equipment.
• Recharge the built-in battery when you are ready to use it again.
To AUDIO / VIDEO OUT jacks
• When the unit is not going to be used for long time, disconnect the AC power adapter from the wall outlet.
• While using the built-in battery, the environmental temperature should be 41°F (5°C) to 95°F (35°C).
Audio / Video cable
C. Using the Built-in Battery
• When the AC power adapter is plugged in, the apparatus is not completely disconnected from the main
• To get the longest service life of the built-in battery, charge at indoor-temperature.
power supply, even when the power is turned off.
• The built-in battery in this device may present a risk of fire or chemical burn if mistreated. Do not
The unit has a built-in, non-replaceable, rechargeable battery. Charge the built-in battery before using it for the
Watching a DVD on your TV
disassemble, heat above 212
C), or incinerate.
first time. Complete charging typically takes approximately 4-5 hours. The charging light will go out when the
• The unit should not be exposed to excessive heat such as sunshine, fire or the like.
1. Turn on the unit.
The AC/DC adaptor is used as disconnect device. The AC/DC adaptor of apparatus should not be obstructed
built-in battery becomes fully charged.
• When discarding the unit, environmental problems must be considered and local rules or laws governing
2. Turn on the TV and follow the instructions included with it to watch video from external sources.
OR should be easily accessed during intended used. To be completely disconnect the power input, the AC/DC
To recharge the built-in battery
the disposal of such products must be strictly followed.
adaptor of apparatus shall be disconnected from the mains.
B. Using Headphones/Earphones
B. Using the Car Power Adapter
To AC power
Turning on the Unit
• Turn down the volume before connecting, and then adjust
The 12V car power adapter
1. Slide the CHARGE / STANDBY / ON switch on the left side of the unit to the ON
allows the unit to be used
• When headphones/earphones are connected, no sound will
with vehicles that have
2. The start-up picture will appear on the screen.
be emitted from the unit's speaker.
a 12V, negative ground
3. After use, slide the CHARGE / STANDBY / ON switch to the STANDBY (power off )
To DC IN 9V
To DC IN 9V Jack
Avoid listening to sound at levels which may be harmful to your
Car power adapter
R e c h a r g i n g i s
Disconnect the car power
adapter when not in use.
Slide the switch
C h a rg i n g
(3.5mm diameter plug)
Not for use in 24V vehicles.
E - 9
E - 10
E - 11