VN1600 Mean Streak
Engine Guard K99990-059A
Please read these Instructions carefully and thoroughly before beginning installation and carefully consider
whether the installer possesses the necessary technical skills and workshop tools to complete the installation
properly. Caution: Engine should be fully cold before installation!
1. Remove the 6 x 25 mm screw holding the rear brake master cylinder to gain clearance for right side
Engine Guard installation.
2. Use low tack tape to protect the forward part of the left and right air cleaner covers, front frame tubes and
front exhaust pipe heat shield near the cylinder.
3. Carefully route the right engine guard around the front exhaust pipe by "wrapping" the middle and lower
bracket extensions around the heat shield. Loosen the heat shield if needed to gain clearance.
4. Loosely fasten the right engine guard with the 10 x 18 mm chrome spacer between the upper right
mounting tab and the steering head gusset hole using the supplied 6 x 30 mm socket head screw with flat
washers and locknut. Repeat for left side engine guard.
5. Position the chrome center bracket forward of the front engine cylinder with the mounting tabs pointing
upward. Loosely fasten the middle of the center bracket onto the square tab on the engine mount bracket
with the supplied 6 x 25 mm hex head screw, flat washers and lock nut.
6. Loosely fasten both ends of the center bracket to the corresponding tabs on the left and right engine
guards using the supplied 8 x 25 mm hex head screws, flat washers and lock nuts.
7. Remove left and right upper engine bolts and replace with the supplied 8 x 55 mm hex head bolts, star
lock washers and flat washers to loosely fasten the lower engine guard tabs to the frame.
8. Alternately tighten all fasteners and check alignment of the engine guards. Confirm engine guard
clearance from air cleaner covers, exhaust pipe and wires on the right frame tube. Tighten the 8 x 55 mm
hex head engine bolts to 14-19 N.m (10-13.5 ft lb).
9. Replace the 6 x 25 mm screw holding the rear brake master cylinder and tighten to 5.9-7.8 N.m (52-69 in.
10. Clean engine guard with mild soap and water. Do not use harsh abrasive cleaners than can damage the
WARNING! This Engine guard may provide limited leg and cosmetic vehicle protection under
unique circumstances, i.e., tip over while motorcycle is stopped. It is not manufactured, nor
intended to provide protection from bodily injury in a collision with an automobile or any other