Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Handling Precautions
The HDD is a precision device for use in reading and writing a large amount of data on or from a disk rotating at a high speed. If it is
not handled carefully, either abnormal operation may result or it may not be possible to read data. The HDD is sensitive to the following
items and special care is required in safeguarding against them when handling an HDD. Also take care in handling a set incorporating
(1) Vibrations and impacts
(2) Static electricity
(3) Rough handling
1.6.1 Handling in transport, etc.
• Be sure to place the HDD in the manufacturer's specified pack-
age carton before transport.
• When receiving a package containing an HDD, check that the
package carton is not damaged (such as having holes in the
carton, crushed corners, etc.).
• Do not impact the packaging carton when loading or unloading
• It is not permitted to use the inner package carton only for
transporting an HDD.
• Do not stack package cartons one upon another.
1.6.2 Handling an HDD in the stand-alone status
• When handling an HDD on a hard workbench, place an anti-
static mat (rubber sheet) or similar object on the hard surface
(to prevent any impacts occurring between the HDD and
• Do not stack the HDDs one upon another.
• Do not knock an HDD with a hard object (such as a screwdriv-
• Do not place an HDD on its side panel without using a support
(do not place an HDD in an unstable position).
1.6.3 Handling the installation of an HDD
• Place antistatic mats or similar sheets on all of the surfaces on which work is conducted or when the HDD is transported.
• Do not permit the HDD to knock against the set's brackets.
• When screwing the brackets, be careful not to knock the HDD. When using a power screwdriver, use a low-shock model and arrange
the tightening torque properly.
• When mounting an HDD in a main body, take care not to apply excessive force to the brackets.
Do not throw or
Be sure to package and
transport the HDDs correctly.