S y s t e m U p g r a d e s
Fitting the new processor
To fit the upgrade processor
1. Ensure that the securing lever on the ZIF socket is still in the
2. Take the upgrade processor out of its anti-static packaging.
3. Place the processor in the socket, making sure that it is correctly
4. Move the securing lever to the locked position. Apply just
5. If necessary, place the heat sink into position on top of the new
LS/VS 550 OWNER'S HANDBOOK
If the processor does not lift easily out of the socket, do not attempt to
force it. Wait for the processor to cool down.
Hold the processor by its edges and avoid touching the metal
The upgrade processor and the ZIF socket are keyed to ensure
that the processor is installed in the correct orientation. One
corner of the socket has a key hole (see below). The corresponding
corner of the processor is slightly bevelled and has a positioning
guide in the form of a coloured dot.
aligned and that you do not bend or otherwise damage the pins.
If the upgrade processor is not big enough to occupy the entire
socket it should be positioned centrally.
If the processor is misaligned it will not go into the socket, and any
attempt to force it will damage the processor, or the socket, or both
enough pressure to overcome the resistance offered by the lever.
processor. The vanes of the heat sink must be aligned with the
airflow from the fan in front of the processor. Refit the clip that
secures the heat sink to the processor.