• The freezer should be located
• Let hot foods cool to room
to run longer. Foods that freeze too slowly may spoil
or lose quality.
• Be sure to wrap foods properly, and wipe containers
dry before placing them in the freezer. This cuts down
on frost build-up inside the freezer.
• Freezer shelves should not be lined with aluminum
foil, wax paper, or paper toweling. Liners interfere
with cold air circulation, making the freezer less
• Organize and label food to reduce door openings
and extended searches. Remove as many items as
needed at one time, and close the door as soon as
Do not open freezer door unnecessarily if freezer is off
for several hours.
If a power failure occurs, frozen foods will stay frozen
for at least 24 hours if the freezer is kept closed. If the
power failure continues, pack seven or eight pounds
of dry ice into the freezer every 24 hours. Look in the
Yellow Pages under Dry Ice, Dairies, or Ice Cream
Manufacturers for local dry ice suppliers. Always wear
gloves and use caution when handling dry ice.
Energy Saving Tips
in the coolest area of the room,
away from heat producing
appliances or heating ducts,
and out of direct sunlight.
temperature before placing in
the freezer. Overloading the
freezer forces the compressor
Power Failure / Freezer Failure
vACATION ANd MOvING TIpS
Leave the freezer operating during vacations of less
than three weeks.
If the freezer will not be used for several months:
• Remove all food and unplug the power cord.
• Clean and dry the interior thoroughly.
• Leave the freezer door open slightly, blocking it open
if necessary, to prevent odor and mold growth.
Moving: When moving the freezer, follow these
guidelines to prevent damage:
• Disconnect the power cord plug from the wall outlet.
• Remove foods, then defrost, and clean the freezer.
• Secure all loose items such as base panel, baskets,
and shelves by taping them securely in place to
• In the moving vehicle, secure freezer in an upright
position to prevent movement. Also protect outside of
freezer with a blanket, or similar item.
If the freezer has stopped operating, see "Freezer
does Not Run" in the "Before You Call" Section. If you
cannot solve the problem, call Sears Service immediately.
If the freezer remains off for several hours, follow the
directions above for the use of dry ice during a power
failure. If necessary, take the food to a local locker plant
until the freezer is ready to operate. Look in the Yellow
Pages under Frozen Food Locker Plants.