When an inverter enclosure is to be designed and manufactured, heat generated by contained
equipment, etc., the environment of an operating place, and others must be fully considered to
determine the enclosure structure, size and equipment layout. The inverter unit uses many
semiconductor devices. To ensure higher reliability and long period of operation, operate the in-
verter in the ambient environment that completely satisfies the equipment specifications.
Inverter installation environment
As the inverter installation environment should satisfy the standard specifications indicated in
the following table, operation in any place that does not meet these conditions not only deteri-
orates the performance and life of the inverter, but also causes a failure. Refer to the following
points and take adequate measures.
Tab. 2-1: Environmental standard specifications of inverter
The permissible ambient temperature of the inverter FR-E700 is between −10 and +50°C. Al-
ways operate the inverter within this temperature range. Operation outside this range will con-
siderably shorten the service lives of the semiconductors, parts, capacitors and others. Take the
following measures so that the ambient temperature of the inverter falls within the specified
● Measures against high temperature
– Use a forced ventilation system or similar cooling system. (Refer to page 2-10.)
– Install the enclosure in an air-conditioned electrical chamber.
– Block direct sunlight.
– Provide a shield or similar plate to avoid direct exposure to the radiated heat and wind
of a heat source.
– Ventilate the area around the enclosure well.
● Measures against low temperature
– Provide a space heater in the enclosure.
– Do not power off the inverter. (Keep the start signal of the inverter off.)
● Sudden temperature changes
– Select an installation place where temperature does not change suddenly.
– Avoid installing the inverter near the air outlet of an air conditioner.
– If temperature changes are caused by opening/closing of a door, install the inverter away
from the door.
−10°C to +50°C (non-freezing)
90% RH or less (non-condensing)
Free from corrosive and explosive gases, dust and dirt
1000m or less
5.9m/s² or less (0,6 g) at 10 to 55Hz (directions of X, Y, Z axes)
2 - 7