To install the software on the Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 operating system,
do the following:
1. Save any open documents and exit all applications.
2. Insert the Software and User Guide Disc into the optical drive. The disc starts automatically. If the disc
does not start automatically, do one of the following:
• If the autoplay window opens, click Run ViewHtml.exe.
• If the autoplay window does not open, do one of the following:
– For the Windows XP or Windows 7 operating system, go into My Computer or Computer, then
double-click the CD/DVD drive icon.
– For the Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 operating system, open File Explorer and click Computer or
This PC, then double-click the CD/DVD drive icon.
3. Select your language.
4. Click Software in the left pane of the window.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to install the software.
Native operating system support
The drive is compatible with the native CD/DVD burning and CD/DVD playback functions of the Windows
XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 operating systems. Without installing the software on the
Software and User Guide Disc, you can perform the following tasks:
• Windows XP users can record data on CD/CD-RW discs.
• Windows 7 , Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users can record data or ISO CD image on CD/DVD recordable
• Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 users can use Windows Media
ThinkPad UltraSlim USB DVD Burner User Guide
Player to view DVDs.