carE aND clEaNINg
cleaning the housing and accessories
Do not use abrasive cleansers or scouring pads when cleaning
the Espresso Machine, or any Espresso Machine part or
• Wipe the Espresso Machine housing with a clean damp cloth
and dry with a soft cloth.
• Wash the filter holder in warm, soapy water and rinse with
clean water. Dry with a soft cloth. Do not wash the filter
holder in a dishwasher.
• The filter baskets, drip tray, drip plate, water tank, and
frothing jug can be washed in the top rack of a dishwasher,
or by hand in warm, soapy water. If washing by hand, be
sure to rinse with clean water and dry with a soft cloth.
cleaning the shower screen
Once every 75 to 100 cups of espresso, the shower screen
should be removed from the brew head to clean thoroughly.
1. Using a short screwdriver, remove the screw at the center
of the shower screen by turning it counterclockwise. Once
the screw is free, the shower screen should drop from the
Priming after long periods of non-use
For the best tasting espresso, prime the Espresso Machine
with fresh water after a long period of non-use. Priming will
also ensure that the boilers are filled and the Espresso Machine
is ready to operate.
Calcium deposits ("scale") from water will build up in the
Espresso Machine over time and may impair espresso quality.
Scale should be removed every two months;
local hard-water conditions may require more
Use a packaged descaling agent or appropriate decalcification
tablets to remove scale.
1. Remove the shower screen from the brew head. See the
"Cleaning the shower screen" section for instructions.
2. Make certain the water tank is empty. Following the
directions on the descaling agent packet, mix the descaling
solution and add it to the tank.
3. To catch the cleaning solution, place a large cup under the
brew head (do not attach the filter holder), and another
under the frothing nozzle.
• Use the shower screen brush or a damp cloth to brush or
wipe coffee grounds from the brew head gasket and shower
2. Wash the shower screen in warm, soapy water, and rinse
with clean water.
3. Place the shower screen into the brew head with the
smooth side facing down, and attach with the shower
screen screw. Turn the screw clockwise until snug.
NotE: When the shower screen is attached, the center screw
should be flush with the surface of the screen. If it is not,
remove the screen, turn it over, and re-attach.
1. Remove the tank, empty any stale water, replace, and fill
the tank with fresh water to the max fill line.
2. Fill the boilers with the fresh water. For instructions, see
the "Filling and rinsing the boilers" section.
4. Press the "
" button to turn the Espresso Machine on. It
is not necessary for the boilers to heat before proceeding
to the next step.
5. Press the "
" button and dispense cleaning agent through
brew head for 15 seconds; press the "
6. Open the " " dial by turning it counterclockwise, then
press and hold the "
" button for 15 seconds to dispense
cleaning agent through the frothing arm and nozzle.
7. Press the "
" button to turn the Espresso Machine off.
8. Wait 20 minutes, then repeat steps 4–7. Every 20 minutes,
keep repeating steps 4–7 until nearly all the solution in the
tank has been run through the Espresso Machine. Do not
allow the tank to run completely dry.
" button again to
5/30/13 9:11 AM