AT THE SERVICE SITE
5.2.1 Backing up Machine Information
Before starting repair, the service personnel should back up the following machine information
and user setting information into an external memory (memory card or USB flash memory).
- Machine information (Preset values, counter values, error information, machine
specifications data, etc.)
- User setting information (telephone directory, password, station ID, transfer information,
telephone area code, user settings, etc.)
- Other data (Received fax data, ICM/OGM data, etc.)
Note that the following information cannot be backed up.
- Serial number of the machine
- MAC address
- Call and caller ID records
- Activity report
- Fax data sent (Delayed-timer sent data, redialed sent data, and polled sent data)
(1) On the PC, create a "Brother" folder in an external memory to be used for saving backup
(2) Switch the machine to the maintenance mode using the steps below. (Refer to
Models without touch panel
Press the Menu and Black Start (Mono Start) keys in this order. Next press the
Models with touch panel
Press the Menu key on the touch panel and the Black Start (Mono Start) key on the
control panel. Next press the Scan key four times.
TIP: When the touch panel is inoperable, simultaneously press the Scan and Copy keys on
the control panel, instead of the Menu key, and press the Black Start (Mono Start) key.
Next press the Scan key four times.
TIP: Models equipped with a numerical keypad on the control panel can enter the
maintenance mode in the same way as conventional models; that is, by pressing the Menu,
*, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys in this sequence.
The machine beeps for approx. one second and displays "
LCD, indicating that it is placed in the initial stage of the maintenance mode, a mode in
which the machine is ready to accept entry from the keys.
(3) Back up the machine information and user setting information, referring to
Section 126.96.36.199 "Backup of Machine Information (Function code 46) (User-accessible)."
" on the