This topic provides instructions on how to replace the hot-swap hard-disk-drive backplane. This topic
applies only to server models that have hot-swap hard disk drives installed.
Before you begin, print all the related instructions or ensure that you can view the PDF version on another
computer for reference.
• The hot-swap hard-disk-drive backplane is sensitive to ESD. Ensure that you read and understand
"Handling static-sensitive devices" on page 84 first and carefully perform the operation.
• Depending on the model, your server might look slightly different from the illustrations in this topic.
• Use any documentation that comes with the new hot-swap hard-disk-drive backplane and follow those
instructions in addition to the instructions in this topic.
To replace the hot-swap hard-disk-drive backplane, do the following:
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the server. Then, disconnect all
power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the server.
2. Remove the server cover. See "Removing the server cover" on page 85.
3. Remove the front bezel. See "Removing and reinstalling the front bezel" on page 87.
4. Locate the backplanes. See "Hot-swap hard-disk-drive backplane" on page 39.
5. Remove the front system fan 1. See "Replacing the front system fan 1" on page 183.
6. Remove all the installed hot-swap hard disk drives and dummy trays (if any) from the hard-disk-drive
cage. See "Installing or replacing a hot-swap hard disk drive" on page 130.
7. Record the cable connections on the backplane, and then disconnect all the cables from the backplane.
Installing, removing, or replacing hardware