• To work with another piece of hardware, go to the appropriate section.
• To complete the removal procedure, go to "Completing the parts replacement" on page 200. Then, you
need to reconfigure RAID for your server. See "Configuring RAID" on page 72.
Installing or removing the ThinkServer RAID 500 Upgrade Key for
This topic provides instructions on how to install or remove the ThinkServer RAID 500 Upgrade Key for
Advanced RAID (hereinafter referred to as the TR 500 Key).
The TR 500 Key expands the capability of the installed ThinkServer RAID 500 Adapter by activating RAID 5
and RAID 50 levels for advanced SATA/SAS hardware RAID. You can purchase a TR 500 Key from Lenovo.
Installing the TR 500 Key
Attention: Do not open your server or attempt any repair before reading and understanding "Safety information"
on page iii and "Guidelines" on page 83.
This topic provides instructions on how to install the TR 500 Key on a ThinkServer RAID 500 Adapter if
your server has one installed.
Attention: Back up your data before you begin if you want to reconfigure RAID and reinstall the operating
system after installing the TR 500 Key.
Before you begin, print all the related instructions or ensure that you can view the PDF version on another
computer for reference.
Note: Use any documentation that comes with the TR 500 Key and follow those instructions in addition to
the instructions in this topic.
To install the TR 500 Key, do the following:
1. Remove all media from the drives and turn off all attached devices and the server. Then, disconnect all
power cords from electrical outlets and disconnect all cables that are connected to the server.
2. Remove the server cover. See "Removing the server cover" on page 85.
3. Lay the server on its side for easier operation.
4. Locate the ThinkServer RAID 500 Adapter and remove any parts or disconnect any cables that might
impede your operation.
5. Touch the static-protective package that contains the TR 500 Key to any unpainted surface on the
outside of the server. Then, take the TR 500 Key out of the package.
Note: Carefully handle the TR 500 Key by its edges.
Installing, removing, or replacing hardware