This section includes information about simple
maintenance which includes the following tasks:
• Checking engine oil level.
• Changing engine oil.
• Changing oil filter.
• Air cleaner maintenance.
• Cleaning the air intake screen.
Cleaning spark arrestor.
• Cleaning spark plug.
Replacing fuel filter.
CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
Check engine crankcase oil level at least every eight
hours of operation, or before each use (Figure 3.1).
• Be sure the generator is as level as possible.
• Remove oil dipstick and wipe dry with clean, lint-
• Install and tighten oil dipstick, then remove again.
• Oil should be at dipstick FULL mark. If necessary,
add the recommended oil to the FULL mark only.
DO NOT FILL ABOVE "FULL " MARK.
• Install and tighten oil dipstick cap before operating
Figure 3.1 — Oil Dipstick and Fill Tube
Oil Dipstick and Fill Tube
See "Engine Oil Requirements", Section 2.9 for
Power Systems, Inc.
Section 3 – Maintenance
IMPACT-36 plus II Recreational Vehicle Generator
CHANGE ENGINE OIL
Change engine oil after the first 25 hours of opera-
tion. Thereafter, change oil every 100 operating
hours. Change oil more frequently if operating con-
sistently under heavy load or at high ambient tem-
• Warm up engine for at least five minutes, then shut
• With engine still warm from running, clean area
around oil drain plug and remove oil drain plug
(Figure 3.2). Drain oil completely into a suitable
• When oil has drained, install and tighten drain
• Remove oil dipstick and fill crankcase with the
recommended oil (See Page 11). The engine
crankcase can hold about 1 quart (950ml). DO
NOT FILL ABOVE "FULL " MARK.
• Install and tighten dipstick cap before operating
CHANGE OIL FILTER
Replace the engine oil filter after the first 25 hours of
operation, every 100 operating hours thereafter.
• Turn oil filter counterclockwise to remove (Figure
Figure 3.2 — Oil Drain Plug and Engine Oil Filter
• Coat gasket of new filter with engine oil.
• Turn new filter clockwise until its gasket contacts
lightly with the filter adapter. Then tighten an addi-
tional 3/4 to one turn by hand.
• Run engine and check for leaks.
Check oil level and fill to full mark after checking
for leaks. Filter will retain some oil.