Ensure that the sound is not caused by the program that is running.
Ensure that the disk or disc is inserted properly.
Hard drive problems
Allow the computer to cool before turning it on —
computer to return to room temperature before turning it on.
Run Check Disk —
1. Click the Start button and click My Computer.
2. Right-click Local Disk C:.
3. Click Properties.
4. Click the Tools tab.
5. Under Error-checking, click Check Now.
6. Click Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
7. Click Start.
Type scandisk x: at an MS-DOS prompt, where x is the hard drive letter, and then press <Enter>. Click the Start button and click My
E-Mail, Modem, and Internet Problems
Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.
Connect the modem to an analog telephone jack only. The modem does not operate while it is connected to a digital telephone network.
Check the Microsoft Outlook® Express Security Settings —
1. In Outlook Express, click Tools, click Options, and then click Security.
2. Click Do not allow attachments to remove the checkmark.
Check the telephone line connection —
Check the telephone jack —
Connect the modem directly to the telephone wall jack —
Use a different telephone line —
Verify that the telephone line is connected to the jack on the modem. (The jack has either a green label or a connector-shaped icon
next to it.)
Ensure that you feel a click when you insert the telephone line connector into the modem.
Disconnect the telephone line from the modem and connect it to a telephone. Listen for a dial tone.
If you have other telephone devices sharing the line, such as an answering machine, fax machine, surge protector, or line splitter,
then bypass them and use the telephone to connect the modem directly to the telephone wall jack. If you are using a line that is 3 m
(10 ft) or more in length, try a shorter one.
Run the Modem Helper diagnostics —
on the screen to identify and resolve modem problems. (Modem Helper is not available on all computers.)
Verify that the modem is communicating with Windows —
1. Click the Start button and click Control Panel.
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware.
3. Click Phone and Modem Options.
4. Click the Modems tab.
5. Click the COM port for your modem.
6. Click Properties, click the Diagnostics tab, and then click Query Modem to verify that the modem is communicating with Windows.
A hot hard drive may prevent the operating system from starting. Try allowing the
If you cannot open your e-mail attachments:
Click the Start button, point to All Programs, and then click Modem Helper. Follow the instructions