A system board is a printed circuit board that forms the central part of
computers. All other devices connect to the system board to be able to
interact with each other. The system board holds various controllers and
connectors that help in exchange of data among various components of
Some important components of a system board are:
• Processor socket(s) – Provides slot(s) to install processor(s).
• Memory-module connector(s) – Provides slot(s) to install memory
• Expansion card slot(s) – Provides slot(s) to install expansion card(s).
• Chipset – Provides an interface between the processor's front-side
bus, main memory, and peripheral buses.
• Flash memory – Contains the system memory or BIOS program.
• Power connectors – Provide power to the system board from the
computer power supply.
Additionally, a system board may have integrated graphics, sound, and
The figure below lists the basic components of a desktop system board.
NOTE: Size, shape, and location of components may vary based on
the type of system board and the computer it is designed for.