When a bar code is scanned, additional information is sent to the host computer
along with the bar code data. This group of bar code data and additional,
user-defined data is called a "message string." The selections in this section
are used to build the user-defined data into the message string.
Prefix and Suffix characters are data characters that can be sent before and
after scanned data. You can specify if they should be sent with all symbologies,
or only with specific symbologies. The following illustration shows the break-
down of a message string:
Points to Keep In Mind
• It is not necessary to build a message string. The selections in this
chapter are only used if you wish to alter the default settings. Default
prefix = None. Default suffix = None .
• A prefix or suffix may be added or cleared from one symbology or all
• You can add any prefix or suffix from the
• You can string together several entries for several symbologies at one
• Enter prefixes and suffixes in the order in which you want them to appear
on the output.
• When setting up for specific symbologies (as opposed to all
symbologies), the specific symbology ID value counts as an added prefix
or suffix character.
• The maximum size of a prefix or suffix configuration is 200 characters,
which includes header information.
To Add a Prefix or Suffix:
Step 1. Scan the Add Prefix or Add Suffix symbol
Step 2. Determine the 2 digit Hex value from the Symbology Chart
alpha numeric &
beginning on page A-4, plus Code I.D. and AIM I.D.
(included in the
alpha numeric &
ASCII Conversion Chart (Code
beginning on page A-1) for the
5 - 1