Font Selection Commands
5.2.1. User-defined symbol sets
User-defined symbol sets can be used with Unbound scalable fonts. Three new commands below are prepared
for use to control a user-defined symbol set.
To define a symbol set, its ID code must first be defined.
Next, a list of symbols for the symbol set must be downloaded.
Then, you can use the defined ID code for the symbol set selection.
5.2.2. Symbol set ID code command
• Value for # can be from 0 to 2047.
• This command defines the ID code for a user-defined symbol set which can be used to control symbol set
• The symbol set ID code defined by this command must be calculated by using the following formula.
Symbol Set ID Code = ( # x 32 ) + ( ID - 64 )
Symbol set selection values consists of numerical character(s) and an alphabetical character.
For example, 8U is the symbol set selection value for Roman-8. In this case, the Symbol set ID
code is 277 as the result of the following calculation.
(8 x 32 ) + (85 - 64) = 277
• Make sure to select an unused number for a new ID code that you define. If the ID code has been used
already, the printer deletes the existing symbol set and defines the new symbol set.
5.2.3. Define symbol set
• # value can be from 18 to 32767.
• # stands for number of bytes of data that follow this command.
• If an existing ID code is used for a user-defined symbol set, it is overwritten.
• Up to 2047 downloadable user-defined symbol sets can be stored subject to the printer's memory capacity.
• If a memory full error occurs while downloading the user-defined symbol set, the symbol set which is being
downloaded becomes invalid.
• The symbol set which is defined by this command is temporarily stored in the printer memory.
• The data following this command should be in the following format.
0 - 1
Header Size (18)
2 - 3
Encoded symbol set designator
4 - 5
6 - 7
8 - 9
Symbol Map [Last Code - First code + 1 ]
Symbol Set Type
Unsigned Long Integer
Signed Long Integer
ASCII string array
CHAPTER 2 "PCL" - 43
(0 ~ 255)
( -128 ~ 127 )
( 0 ~ 65535 )
( - 32768 ~ 32767 )
( 0 ~ 2
(0 ~ **-1) of characters