Problems and troubleshooting / Video head cleaning
No 4:3 (16:9) picture.
No on-screen display.
No surround sound.
The unit or remote operation key is
Playback does not start when the title
Audio soundtrack and/or subtitle
language is not changed when you
play back a DVD.
Angle cannot be changed.
appears on the screen.
Video head cleaning
Video head clogging
The video heads are the means by which the DVD/VCR reads the
picture from the tape during playback. In the unlikely event that the
heads become dirty enough to be clogged, no picture will be played
back. This can easily be determined if, during playback of a known
good tape, there is good sound, but no picture (picture is extremely
snowy). If this is the case, have the DVD/VCR checked by qualified
• DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN THE VIDEO HEADS OR SERVICE THE UNIT BY REMOVING THE TOP COVER.
• Video heads may eventually wear out and should be replaced when they fail to produce clear pictures.
• To help prevent video head clogging, use only good quality VHS tapes. Discard worn out tapes.
• We do not recommend using wet-type head-cleaning cassettes as they may damage the unit.
• The setup does not match your TV.
• Select Display On.
• The setup does not match your stereo system.
• Turn off the unit and unplug the AC power cord for several minutes,
then replug it.
• Check the Parental setup.
• Multilingual language is not recorded on the DVD disc.
• Some discs have no subtitles.
• Subtitles are cleared. Press SUBTITLE.
• Multi-angles are not recorded on the DVD disc.
• The function is prohibited with the unit or the disc.
When head is dirty