In the event of an emergency the engine can be stopped
by simply turning the ignition switch to STOR Use this
method only in emergency situations.
For normal engine
shut down follow the procedure given in STOPPING THE
RIDER AND ENGINE.
STOPPING THE RIDER & ENGINE
1. Returning the ground speed control levers to PARK
positions will stop rider movement and engage the
2. Stop the mower by pushing down on the PTO switch.
3. Briggs & Stratton
Move the throttle control
to SLOW position and turn the ignition key to OFF.
Remove the key.
Move the throttle control to FAST
position and turn the ignition key to OFF. Remove the
STARTING THE ENGINE
1. While sitting in the operator's seat, make sure the
PTO switch is OFF and the ground speed control
levers are locked in PARK positions.
2. Move the engine throttle control fully forward to FAST.
Set the choke control to CLOSED.
NOTE: A warm engine may not require choking.
case, set the choke control to OPEN.
3. insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it to
4. After the engine starts, gradually move the choke
control back to OPEN position. Warm the engine by
running it for at least a minute before turning on the
PTO switch, or driving the unit.
5. After warming the engine, ALWAYS operate the
unit with the throttle
set to FAST, especially when
1. Make sure the PTO switch is OFF, the ground speed
control levers are locked in their PARK positions, and
the operator is in the seat.
2. Set the mower cutting height to the desired setting.
3. Start the engine (see STARTING THE ENGINE).
4. Set the throttle to FAST.
5. Turn the PTO switch ON to engage the mower deck.
6. Move the ground speed control levers from PARK
positions to drive positions (levers in across the oper-
7. Begin mowing. See DRiViNG PRACTICE.
8. When finished, turn the PTO switch OFF.
9. Stop the engine (see STOPPING THE RIDER AND
RIDER BY HAND
Turn the PTO switch OFF, set the ground speed con-
trol levers to PARK, turn the ignition switch OFF,
remove the key, and wait for all moving parts to stop.
Locate the transmission release levers (C, Figure 3)
at the rear of the unit.
Pull both levers back and down to release the trans-
missions (position B, Figure 3).
Set the ground speed control levers to DRIVE posi-
tions (levers moved in).
The rider can now be pushed by hand.
After moving the rider, set the ground speed control
levers to PARK and push both transmission
levers forward to re-engage the transmissions (posi-
tion A, Figure 3).
Towing the unit will cause transmission
age. Do not use another vehicle to push or
pull this unit.
Figure 3. Transmission Release Levers
A. Drive Position
B. Push Position