When using an electric appliance, basic precautions should always be followed, including the following:
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS VACUUM CLEANER.
To reduce the risk of fire, electric shock or injury:
• Do not use outdoors or on wet surfaces.
• Do not block the motor hood ventilation openings and duct on the top of the power unit. Lack of ventilation air-
flow will cause the motor to overheat.
• Do not locate the power unit in a high temperature area or where it is inaccessible, for example, an attic or crawl
• Mount the built-in vacuum system power unit no less than 12 inches from the ceiling or any adjacent wall and
at least 28 inches from the floor. If the unit is not exhausted outside, make sure the adjacent wall is at least 12
inches from the exhaust port. DO NOT exhaust into a concealed area.
• Do not leave vacuum cleaner when plugged in. Remove hose from inlet valve and unplug from outlet when not
in use and before servicing.
• Do not allow to be used as a toy. Close attention is necessary when used by or near children.
• Use only as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer's recommended attachments.
* • Some hoses contain electrical wires. Do not use if damaged, cut or punctured. Avoid picking up sharp objects.
* • Always turn off this appliance before connecting or disconnecting either hose or motorized nozzle.
• Do not use with damaged cord or plug. If vacuum cleaner is not working as it should, has been dropped, dam-
aged, left outdoors or dropped into water, return it to a service center.
• Do not pull or carry by cord, use cord as a handle, close a door on cord, or pull cord around sharp edges or cor-
ners. Do not run vacuum cleaner over cord. Keep cord away from heated surfaces.
• Connect to a properly grounded outlet only (refer to Grounding Instructions).
• Do not use extension cords or outlets with inadequate current carrying capacity.
• Turn off all controls before unplugging.
• Do not unplug by pulling on cord. To unplug, grasp the plug, not the cord.
• Do not handle plug or vacuum cleaner with wet hands.
• Do not put any object into openings. Do not use with any opening blocked; keep free of dust, lint, hair and any-
thing that may reduce airflow.
* • This vacuum cleaner creates suction and contains a revolving brush roll. Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers and
all parts of body away from openings and moving parts.
* • Do not place cleaner on furniture as brush roll may damage the furniture. Please use cleaner on floor with the
handle in storage position while using attachments.
• Do not pick up anything that is burning or smoking, such as cigarettes, matches, or hot ashes.
• Do not use without cartridge filter in place.
* • Belt pulleys can become hot during normal use. To prevent burns, avoid touching the belt pulley when servicing
the drive belt.
• Use extra care when cleaning on stairs.
• Do not pick up flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, or use in areas where they may be present.
• Keep your work area well lighted.
• Unplug electrical appliances before vacuuming them.
Congratulations on your purchase of the Electrolux Afuera central vacuum system, the ultimate cleaning solution.
The Afuera central vacuum system is designed to help you efficiently clean and maintain your home. While vacu-
uming may never be truly pleasurable, you can have a cleaner, healthier home . . .and more time to do the things you
To achieve the maximum benefits from your Afuera central vacuum system, please read this manual carefully and
consult the user guide in the Cleaning Essentials tool kit prior to use.
For further information regarding Afuera and other innovative products from Electrolux visit www.electrolux.com.