Replacing the optical drive
Turn off the computer and wait 3 to 5 minutes to let the computer cool
down before replacing the optical drive.
To remove the optical drive:
Note: It may be helpful to place the computer face-down on a soft flat surface
for this procedure. Lenovo recommends that you use a blanket, towel, or
other soft cloth to protect the screen from scratching or other damage.
1. Remove any media (disks, CDs, or memory cards) from the drives, shut down
the operating system, and turn off the computer and all attached devices.
2. Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets.
3. Disconnect all cables attached to the computer. This includes power cords,
input/output (I/O) cables, and any other cables that are connected to the
computer. Refer to "Left and right view" and "Rear view" for help with locating
the various connectors.
4. Remove the computer cover. Refer to "Removing the computer cover".
5. Loosen the screw that secures the optical drive to the chassis.
6. Push the optical drive so that it slides out of the drive bay.
Hardware Replacement Guide