Beef and Barley Stew
1½ lbs. beef stew cubes, cut into ½-inch pieces
½ cup chopped onion
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 can (13.75-14.5 oz.) beef broth
2 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch slices
(about 1 cup)
½ cup barley
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp. pepper
1 pkg. (9-10 oz.) frozen peas, thawed
1. In a 2-quart casserole, combine beef, onion, flour, and Worcestershire; mix
well. Cover with lid. Cook at High for 6 to 8 minutes until beef is no longer
pink, stirring once.
2. Stir in beef broth, carrots, barley, bay leaf, and pepper. Cover with lid. Cook
at Medium for 45 to 50 minutes until carrots and beef are tender, stirring 2 to
3. Stir in peas. Cover with lid. Cook at Medium for 10 minutes. Let stand for 10
minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
¼ cup butter or margarine
¼ cup chopped onion
1½ Tbs. flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. dry mustard
1½ cups milk
¼ cup chopped red pepper
8 oz. (2 cups) cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkg. (9-10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
4 cups cooked spiral shaped pasta (8 oz. dry)
1. In a 2-quart casserole, cook butter and onion at High for 2 to 3 minutes until
onion is soft, stirring once.
2. Add flour, salt, mustard, and pepper; mix well. Cook at High for 60 to 90
seconds until mixture boils. Stir in milk until smooth.
3. Stir in red pepper. Cook at High for 2 to 3 minutes until mixture boils and
thickens slightly, stirring twice. Stir in cheese until melted.
4. Add broccoli and pasta, mix well. Cover with lid. Cook at High for 4 to 6
minutes until heated through, stirring once. Stir before serving. Makes 6