You can make up a multi-room audio-video system with this unit. With this feature, you can set this unit to reproduce separate input sources
in the main room and second (Zone 2) room using the supplied remote control in the second room.
ONLY ANALOG SIGNALS ARE SENT TO THE SECOND ROOM. FOR ANY SOURCE YOU WISH TO LISTEN
TO IN THE SECOND ROOM, YOU MUST CONNECT THE ANALOG OUTPUT FROM THE SOURCE TO THE
CORRESPONDING ANALOG INPUT ON THIS UNIT.
To use the multi-room functions of this unit, you need the following additional equipment:
• An infrared signal receiver in the second room
• An infrared emitter in the main room
This emitter transmits the infrared signals from the remote control in the second room to the main room
(for example, to a CD player or LD player).
• An amplifier and speakers for the second room
• A video monitor for the second room
A sample of system configuration and connections
Special considerations when using DTS software
The DTS signal is a digital bitstream. Therefore, if you attempt to send the DTS signal to Zone 2, you will only be able to hear the digital
noise that could damage your loudspeakers.
Due to this characteristic of DTS encoded discs, the following considerations and adjustments need to be made.
For DTS encoded LDs or DVDs
Only 2-channel audio signals may be sent to Zone 2, as follows:
• Laser disc – Set your Laser Disc player's left and right outputs to the analog sound track.
• DVD disc – Use the disc menu to set the DVD player's mixed 2-channel left and right audio outputs to PCM or Dolby Digital.
For DTS encoded compact discs
DO NOT USE the Zone 2 feature with DTS encoded compact discs.
(or other component)
REMOTE 1 OUT
• Since there are so many ways to connect and use this unit in a multi-room installation,
we recommend that you consult with a custom installation specialist for the Zone 2
connections which will best meet your requirements.
• Some Yamaha models are able to connect directly to the REMOTE 1 OUT jacks of
this unit. If you own these products, you may not need to use an infrared emitter. Up to
six Yamaha components can be connected as shown.
VIDEO SIGNAL ZONE 2 OUT
AUDIO SIGNAL ZONE 2 OUT
Infrared signal receiver
REMOTE 1 IN
(in the Zone 2 mode)