Using the remote control
Preparing the remote control for use
The remote control will operate your TV, most VCR models, and
most cable TV converters together, even if they are different brands.
• If you will be using your TV with a Toshiba VCR or cable TV
converter, your remote control is already programmed and ready
to use. See "Using the remote control with a Toshiba VCR or
cable TV converter" below.
• If you own a non-Toshiba VCR or converter and want to use your
TV remote control to operate it, you will need to program the
remote control. See "Programming the remote control for use
with a non-Toshiba VCR or cable TV converter" on page 13.
Installing the remote control batteries
To install the batteries:
1. Slide the battery cover off the back of the remote control.
2. Install two "AA" size batteries. Match the + and – symbols on
the batteries to the symbols on the battery compartment.
3. Slide the battery cover back onto the remote control until the
Using the remote control with a Toshiba VCR
or cable TV converter
To control a Toshiba VCR:
Set the TV/CABLE/VCR switch to the VCR position. The
shaded buttons in the illustration at right will then control the
VCR. The unshaded buttons will operate the TV as usual.
To control a Toshiba cable TV converter:
Set the TV/CABLE/VCR switch to the CABLE position. The
shaded buttons in the top portion of the illustration at right will
then control the cable TV converter.
The remote control provided with your TV
may or may not operate certain features on
your VCR, cable TV converter, or other
electronic equipment. Refer to the owner's
manuals provided with your other equipment
to see which features are available. In
addition, the other remote controls may have
buttons not available on your TV's remote
control. If you would like to use those features
or buttons, you may need to use the original
remote controls provided with your other
• Dispose of batteries in a designated
disposal area. Do not throw batteries
into a fire.
• Do not mix battery types or combine used
batteries with new ones.
• Remove dead batteries immediately to
prevent battery acid from leaking into the
• If you do not intend to use the remote
control for a long time, remove the
ENT (Used for the
"Enter" command with
some VCRs and cable
VCR buttons (set
switch to "VCR")