• Blood pressure changes with every heartbeat and is in constant
fluctuation throughout the day.
• Blood pressure measurement can be affected by the position of the
user, his or her physiologic condition, and other factors.
To help ensure an accurate reading, follow these instructions before
taking a measurement:
• Wait 1 hour after exercising, bathing, eating, drinking beverages with
alcohol or caffeine, or smoking to measure blood pressure.
• Sit quietly and rest for 15 minutes.
• Stress raises blood pressure. Avoid taking measurements during
• Take your reading in a comfortable environment as measurements
can be affected by hot or cold temperatures. Take your blood
pressure at normal body temperature.
• DO NOT talk or move your arm or hand muscles.
• DO NOT cross your legs. Sit with feet flat on the floor.
• DO NOT touch cuff or monitor during measurement.