Be sure to wear protective goggles and gloves when handling the lubricating oil, so that it does not get into your eyes or
onto your skin. If care is not taken, inflammation can result.
Furthermore, do not drink the lubricating oil. Diarrhea or vomiting may result.
Keep the oil out of the reach of children.
The sewing machine should always be lubricated and the oil supply replenished before it is used for the first time, and also after
long periods of non-use.
Use only the lubricating oil (NIPPON OIL CORPORATION Sewing Lube 15N; VG15) specified by Brother.
* If this type of lubricating oil is difficult to obtain, the recommended oil to use is Exxon Mobil Essotex SM15, VG15.
1. Open the front cover (1), remove the rubber cap (2), and
then fill with oil until the oil level reaches the point in between
the upper reference line [A] and the lower reference line [B]
on the oil gauge (3).
* If the oil level drops to the lower reference line [B], be sure
to add more oil.
2. Insert the rubber cap (2) and then close the front cover (1).
* Periodically loosen the oil drain screw (4) to drain out any oil
which collects in the front bed oil sump.
After draining the oil, tighten the oil drain screw (4).
* Periodically wipe away any oil which collects in the rear bed
oil sump (5) with a cloth.
3. Turn the machine pulley (6), so that the oil feeding pipe cap
(7) is facing upward, and then remove the oil feeding pipe
cap (7) and fill the oil tank (8) with oil.
If the level of lubricating oil drops below the middle
reference line [C] on the oil tank, no oil will be drawn into
the upper shaft, and the upper shaft will thus not be
lubricated sufficiently. Be sure to maintain the lubricating
oil level at a level above the center reference line [C].
4. Attach the oil feeding pipe cap (7).
5. If the machine is being used with the puller attached, remove
the screw (9) and fill with oil until the level reaches the upper
reference line [D] in the oil sight glass.
* If the oil level drops to the lower reference line [E], be sure
to add more oil. After lubrication is completed, tighten the